Linguaholic

Memrise for mobile

seville009

I'm surprised nobody has listed this app yet. I use it mostly for learning Japanese but from time to time I also use it for brushing up on my Spanish. I guess you can say it is kind of like Duolingo except you get to choose which course you would like to learn. There are points and you can share your progress on social networks as well. You can register online first (recommended) and then sync up the app on your mobile device. My favorite thing about Memrise is that there is more to learn than just languages, you really just need to see it for yourself. Oh and the courses are written by other users so you get a chance to learn slang and other things. Seriously, go and check it out!

www.memrise.com

• 1 month later...

I downloaded it for the iPad and, to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. I much prefer Duolingo. It might be different on higher levels, but I found the beginning levels to be kind of childish. The hand drawn pictures with silly association statements isn't how I learn. I like written explanations and repetition.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys!  Just wondering if anyone here has already checked out the Memrise app.  I recently installed this app after trying the web site. I must say that ever since I started using that web site my dutch has improved a lot. I know understand most of the things I read and heard, I definitely needed something like Memrise in order to learn a lot new words. I am currently working on my very own course!  That is right, I am using all the words that I need to memorize in order to pass my inburgering examen.  

I use the app mostly to review the words I've previously ''learned'', I use the speed review mode, because it feels as if I am playing a fun game that tests my knowledge, but I am also learning ;) I love it!  I don't use it to learn new words though, I use the web site for that, because it's easier that way.  So if any of you has used this app, let me know what your experience has been :)  

Hey Trellum

I have used Memrise for some time and it was good fun. Maybe not the most effective method to learn a language, but definitely a fun method. We already have quite a lot of posts about Memrise. You might wanna have a look at some older posts:

http://linguaholic.com/search/?q=memrise

Oh and Trellum, what do you think about the new design of Linguaholic? I really enjoy it so far. 

best wishes

L

Hi there!  Well, I think this new software looks great, now it's easier to see the latest activity, and the forum feels more alive than ever!  I think that helps a lot! I like that ''latest activity'' bar to the right =D  It's awesome!  

As for Memrise, I think on its own isn't a good way to learn a language at all, but if you use it along with a course I think it's such a great way to learn a lot new words  :)  My course so far wasn't enough to be honest, but now I know more words :)  So it's easier to understand what I read and watch on TV.  I'm so excited right now... working on my own Memrise course for English speakers.  I'm on a race against time, but I think I will make it on time.   

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! It's good to find a topic about memrise, I tried it over the summer, but my thoughts are the same as yours. It's a nice memory developing app, maybe the speaking out loud function is missing, but not a language learning one. Like you can learn a few things as you said, but they are just not staying in my memory. I like apps better that makes me do exercises to learn a new language.

I got it on mobile too, but somehow it's just not working for me.

Every app is designed with a different purpose. Maybe Memrise fell short of your expectations. I would not mind downloading it on my phone just so I have something productive to do like memorizing some basic foreign terms while on a travel or before I go to sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

The Memrise app has been improved a lot compared to how it used to be. However, I would only recommend it once you want to cram vocabulary and things in. It's not like Duolingo or other apps that are trying to teach you a language. I think the most frustrating part about Memrise is how tedious it is to add your own words and things to a database. That's why I ended up going with a different app for my phone to study vocabulary. 

I got this for Hindi, and found the spacing of repetition to be ideal, I'm up to around 100 words currently and it has all stuck better than I was expecting, it's ideal just to do 5-15 mintues whenever you have some spare time. I'm planning to use it for HSK level 1 Chinese now.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds interesting, but I need something more in-depth than just cramming a lot of vocabulary words into my brain. LOL. I've tried Duolingo and liked it until I got further into the lessons. When I reached intermediate level, it was just too hard to continue. So now I'm on the hunt for something with more explanation. I need the whys of the lessons and not just "Say this word and this word." or "What does this word mean?"

• 2 weeks later...

Checking out this site, it's a pretty neat tool to help you learn new vocabulary and keep your skills sharp. The fact that there are different lessons made by a community is nice- you have the potential of being taught your target language by a community of native speakers. The site itself is very nice and interactive- one thing I loved about Duolingo was the "daily streak" system that helped me stay motivated. Duolingo is great- if they have your language. Unfortunately, they don't have Scottish Gaelic yet, so I'm very happy with Memrise. However, everyone has different learning styles, so I recommend poking around to see if it's a good fit.

This is a great program for you to learn anything, including languages. I think you can search for it online but if you want to learn to speak another language and you wish to remember it then this is the program for you. My sister learned maths through this and she couldn't do it before at all and has now passed it with flying colours. I am currently learning another language on there and it is working for me.

I have never heard about this program, but it sounds very useful. Is it free or do you have to buy it? I have been looking for a good language learning tool for a while now, and if it can help me learn other things as well, I might give it a shot.

4 hours ago, NATASHA said:

This is a great program for you to learn anything, including languages. I think you can search for it online but if you want to learn to speak another language and you wish to remember it then this is the program for you. My sister learned maths through this and she couldn't do it before at all and has now passed it with flying colours. I am currently learning another language on there and it is working for me.

Could you please provide a link to that program please ?

To clean it up a bit, I have just merged 3 Memrise-related topics into 1.
They were all very similar any way.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it once, but I didn't like it that much, I was a little boring, but this is just a personal opinion. The interface is not that interesting and the learning logic is a little confusing. I think there are better apps to help.

On 11/10/2015, 4:01:03, JapanGuy said:

The Memrise app has been improved a lot compared to how it used to be. However, I would only recommend it once you want to cram vocabulary and things in. It's not like Duolingo or other apps that are trying to teach you a language. I think the most frustrating part about Memrise is how tedious it is to add your own words and things to a database. That's why I ended up going with a different app for my phone to study vocabulary. 

Really? Creating my word list helped me memorize more words even easier =D   Now I understand more Dutch :)  You should consider giving it another try ;)   I first wrote all the books I wanted to add from my course on a notebook (so I didn't end up repeating the same words several times), then I transcribed those words to WORD, after that I added them to Memrise and voila!  

• 5 months later...

One tip: don't use Memrise too much, full commitment is apparently not acceptable:

Screenshot_20160520-184352.png

I'm not sure what someone would gain from cheating anyway? Some fictional points which don't mean anything? Can't a person devote their time to actually wanting to learn a language more so than the average person without being branded a cheater?. That being said I have used Memrise a lot and I'm not sure on it yet, I much prefer Duolingo and Babbel at the moment, Memrise is more at the back of my list.

34 minutes ago, Dilof said:

I'm not sure what someone would gain from cheating anyway? Some fictional points which don't mean anything? Can't a person devote their time to actually wanting to learn a language more so than the average person without being branded a cheater?. That being said I have used Memrise a lot and I'm not sure on it yet, I much prefer Duolingo and Babbel at the moment, Memrise is more at the back of my list.

I don't think you understood the point of my post at all.
I have never cheated there, I don't even know how in the first place.
All I did was simply reviewing content as soon as they came available, but they apparently didn't appreciate that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2016 at 10:52 AM, Blaveloper said:

One tip: don't use Memrise too much, full commitment is apparently not acceptable:

Screenshot_20160520-184352.png

Looool!   Amazing,  so you gained so many points in a short time, and they went straight to accuse you of cheating.  I laughed a bit at how the guy was first like: '' There is a problem,  I'm not saying it was you, but...'' and then he switched to: ''I know it was you! You cheater!  You better explain yourself!''.   What happened in the end?  Did you tell them the truth? Did they believe you? Ever heard back from them?   Not cool they accuse people like that... specially if the guy sending the mail is at first beating around the bush, and then openly accusing you.   If they are going to accuse someone... either take the diplomatic route or the direct one, not both. 

@Trellum

I've been honest and explained them I wasn't cheating, I just had a lot of time and reviews simply kept coming up.
They then apologised me and thanked me for the explanation.