Linguaholic

I'm against taking too much age in consideration

FlagOnce

When it comes to learning a language, sometimes, you may believe you missed a train. Much like it could have been easier when done before, and now, doing it is too much annoying or even more difficult than you could do it better if you done it younger.
In my opinion, motivation and time schedules matters more than any kind of factor like age in the language learning. Sometimes, the difference is more social than really physical, even if some likes to masquerade it as something physical you can't fight much against it. I mean, saying so does rarely help parents to make them aware of the fact that their children could learn more languages easily than them (if we really believe the common thoughts about it, and that's not my case!), it is more for discourage them to do it because "it's too late". It's pointless.
So I just wanted to share that feeling.

In my honest opinion, it's never too late not just to learn a new language, but for anything really in life. If you want to do it, in the words of Nike (as cheesy as it sounds LOL) JUST do it! Of course, ideally it's best you start learning a foreign language very young. But not everyone has the money or the tools with which to learn whenever they wish to. So I say whenever you can do it, just go for it!

My biggest regret is not learning a foreign language while I was still in my 20's.  In my current age at 34 years old, I really feel that I have been left behind by the train.  Most of my classmates in our Nihongo language class are in their youth (18 years old and above but less than 30), while I am the oldest.  While it's never too late in learning a language, it just goes to show that on a personal level, you have been left behind.  Now, aside from learning a new language, I am also coping with the pressure of finding a job soon.

I have neurological problem and tend to forget things easily, yet you don't see me losing faith or panic about my exam in just 2 months ;)  I'm 28 year old, far from the teen who learned English all on her own in just 6 months without the help of any kind of book or dictionary...  I'm so far from that teen, yet, I don't feel discouraged!   My memory is bad, but if I keep on working hard to remember the things I have learnt I know I will eventually learn Dutch and pass that test :) 

Although I believe that it's better to introduce foreign languages in the early years of a person's life, I think a person can learn a new language at any age. I'm 32, and learning my third language. I think the upside of learning a new language when you are older is that you have the knowledge and experience to more easily develop techniques and mnemonic devices to help you learn any language faster.

I think there are certain disadvantages when old age comes but does that have to stop you from learning a new language? It should not! Though your memory may not be as sharp as before, you certainly have the experiences to make do of the situation. You are better equipped with techniques, skills, styles and abilities that you can use to master a new language. Younger people have advantages but so do older people!  I know a few older people who have mastered a language even at their age!

We may have a lot of regrets in life, but I really think we shouldn't live in the past, instead, we must live in the present and look forward to the future. Just because you weren't able to learn a new language when you were much younger doesn't mean you cannot pursue it now that you're older. It's never too late to do something.

I totally agree with FlagOnce - age does not matter. I believe it's really just a limiting belief that you study slower or whatever. It's true I'm not super old (late twenties) but honestly I feel like I'm learning better than ever. Because for the first time in my life I'm studying stuff I wanna study not what I *have to* study.

In my free time when I was in college I studied brain a bit. Turns out our brain was design to learn. It's only when we don't learn for extended periods of time that our ability to learn get's weaker. But think of it like a muscle the more you use it the stronger it gets. It's merely a matter of buckling down and get into it again. Don't let what other people or even your own personal feelings limit you from unlocking the true potential of your bodies - and brains.

Even if you are older and you are out of shape you can get back into the game. Sure it will take some work - nothing is ever free. But you can get there.

Don't let some limiting belief hold you back. Believe in yourself and through discipline you will prevail.

Good luck guys on your linguistic journey - don't give up just yet!

Richard

Age matters. But first let me explain.
It's easier for young children to learn a second language. Their brains are still developing, and I'll quote "After age 11, centers in the brain responsible for language acquisition stop growing rapidly and language acquisition becomes more difficult.".

But adults have advantages too while learning new languages. It's easier for us to find language patterns and sometimes apply them in different languages. We are more aware of how to build sentences and some concepts are very similar in different languages.

No way age should stop anyone from learning a different language. Just an example: my grandparents were emmigrants in their mid 20's/early 30's and they learned a whole different language and were fluent. If you want to learn a new language, go ahead!

Children are definitely at an advantage. I often wish my parents had encouraged me to take up languages from a young age. But that's not to say I won't continue to learn even in my adult life. I know it's be slower and more difficult, but I'm up for the challenge. I can't wait to resume my French lessons some day, when my schedule is less busy :)

Learning a new language requires one to memorize a lot of things. You need to remember the basic grammar rules, the spelling, the vocabulary etc. Admit it or not when you age your memory may lag behind making it difficult to remember the things you tackled in your lessons. Unlike those students below twenty they seem like a sponge ready to absorb anything thrown at them. The exception is getting yourself immersed daily with the native speakers.

My biggest regret is not learning a foreign language while I was still in my 20's.  In my current age at 34 years old, I really feel that I have been left behind by the train.  Most of my classmates in our Nihongo language class are in their youth (18 years old and above but less than 30), while I am the oldest.  While it's never too late in learning a language, it just goes to show that on a personal level, you have been left behind.  Now, aside from learning a new language, I am also coping with the pressure of finding a job soon.

That's not because others done something that it was relevant for you to do it at their time. You do it at yours and that's all. Why seeking to find a failure when it is not? Maybe in the meantime they learnt it you learn something else or you done something else more valuable than that. Things isn't always brighter elsewhere.

Although I believe that it's better to introduce foreign languages in the early years of a person's life, I think a person can learn a new language at any age. I'm 32, and learning my third language. I think the upside of learning a new language when you are older is that you have the knowledge and experience to more easily develop techniques and mnemonic devices to help you learn any language faster.

I think that the best way is to do it over and over again, doesn't matter when. Just the difference with childs is that, they're fully immersed within their native language, since they live since years inside it. You can get codes quicker like this.

Learning a new language requires one to memorize a lot of things. You need to remember the basic grammar rules, the spelling, the vocabulary etc. Admit it or not when you age your memory may lag behind making it difficult to remember the things you tackled in your lessons. Unlike those students below twenty they seem like a sponge ready to absorb anything thrown at them. The exception is getting yourself immersed daily with the native speakers.

When you see that childs' memory fades away more easily in the future, than adult's memory, I might put in doubt this affirmation. But you tend to remember more what you forget, that what you remember, especially because in society it is an "aging" thing.

I regret not having put more effort into my foreign language classes in high school.  I was too busy being "cool" to actually do the work.  Now I am kicking myself.

I don't think getting older makes it harder to learn, but I do think it makes it harder to concentrate.  As adults, there are many other things we worry about and think on as we try to do other stuff.  In the end, our mind is divided and we can't focus.

It's very easy to make excuses for ourselves on why we can't do something.  But no matter your age, If you truly want to do it, then you will.

I regret not having put more effort into my foreign language classes in high school.  I was too busy being "cool" to actually do the work.  Now I am kicking myself.

I don't think getting older makes it harder to learn, but I do think it makes it harder to concentrate.  As adults, there are many other things we worry about and think on as we try to do other stuff.  In the end, our mind is divided and we can't focus.

It's very easy to make excuses for ourselves on why we can't do something.  But no matter your age, If you truly want to do it, then you will.

Stopping multitasking requires only few steps: you disconnect any distraction source and you try to put willingness on doing what you're doing. If you can't succeed to that or you find excuses, then it's your problem, but it's not a problem of the age. After all, child are sometimes really, really distracted, and when they become adults they control more what they focus on. So I don't think age is important about focusing, willingness and tiredness will, in a obvious way. Okay, any strong emotion will distract you as well, but they're often exceptional, hence not making it too much relevant to fight against. 

I think it can never be too late to learn a new language. You just have to be diligent about it, work hard, keep at it and then, eventually, you will master it. This has nothing to do with age or anything else, really, just your own dedication to what you want to achieve.

I'm learning my fourth language at the age of 38. I learnt French and German at the same time at school and I have to say that learning just one language seems far harder now. Prior to this, I hadn't studied for many years so I expect this is really what's been making things seem more difficult. 

I feel that way too! I had a friend who was from Brazil and she spoke 7 languages. She learned them all when she was a kid. I tried to learn two more as an adult and I have been studying for years, but still can't pick up French and Spanish as well as she did. So frustrating! Some people can just pick up languages more than others I guess. 

If you have the motivation, time and resources you can learn a language, regardless of age. For example, I learned 4 languages, from zero to B1/B2, in my 40's - and that was when I was working full time. I learned Russian from zero to B2 so far in my 50's, and hope to add Korean and maybe one more before they're over. People often accuse me of having above average language learning skills, but I don't. What I do have is motivation, time and resources.  

I have neurological problem and tend to forget things easily, yet you don't see me losing faith or panic about my exam in just 2 months ;)  I'm 28 year old, far from the teen who learned English all on her own in just 6 months without the help of any kind of book or dictionary...  I'm so far from that teen, yet, I don't feel discouraged!   My memory is bad, but if I keep on working hard to remember the things I have learnt I know I will eventually learn Dutch and pass that test :) 

I'm sorry to hear about your condition, Trellum! But you're right, some of us really shouldn't have any excuse, given your condition and how far you've come in terms of learning new languages. I'm sure you'll inspire a lot of other people whose motivation may be on the wane. Kudos to you, and keep it up :)

I understand what you are saying.  I think that the reason most people say that people are "too old" to learn a language is because you only have so much room in your brain to store information.  The more you age, the more you have to remember.  I think the problem is that we don't prioritize learning a new language.  The language you grow up around is most likely the language that is necessary for your everyday life. 

I'm sorry to hear about your condition, Trellum! But you're right, some of us really shouldn't have any excuse, given your condition and how far you've come in terms of learning new languages. I'm sure you'll inspire a lot of other people whose motivation may be on the wane. Kudos to you, and keep it up :)

Thank you, I think I have the mental agility of an 80 year old on a very bad day, but there are good days in which my mind is almost as fast and sharp as usual.  It might be my neurological issue; I no longer process many emotions the way most people do, but I am not afraid of that test, hehehe.   Thanks again, and best of luck to you too, I hope you pick your french up very soon as well ;)  We all need some mental exercise, and what better way than learning a new language? :laugh:

I feel that way too! I had a friend who was from Brazil and she spoke 7 languages. She learned them all when she was a kid. I tried to learn two more as an adult and I have been studying for years, but still can't pick up French and Spanish as well as she did. So frustrating! Some people can just pick up languages more than others I guess. 

Well, the question is: do you need to learn 7 languages? What doors will it open to you, and how? If you don't have a straight answer to the question, you know why you don't have learnt fully your 4 languages and you won't learn 7. You need motivation, and often motivation involve a purpose, a strong purpose.

If you have the motivation, time and resources you can learn a language, regardless of age. For example, I learned 4 languages, from zero to B1/B2, in my 40's - and that was when I was working full time. I learned Russian from zero to B2 so far in my 50's, and hope to add Korean and maybe one more before they're over. People often accuse me of having above average language learning skills, but I don't. What I do have is motivation, time and resources.  

Happy to hear I'm not alone to think that. Because even if half of the language learner community we think we can't when growing up, think about the population. I guess the number is worst.

I understand what you are saying.  I think that the reason most people say that people are "too old" to learn a language is because you only have so much room in your brain to store information.  The more you age, the more you have to remember.  I think the problem is that we don't prioritize learning a new language.  The language you grow up around is most likely the language that is necessary for your everyday life. 

You should allow yourself to forget some things then. But if we keep feeling guilty and bad when we forgot something, that's still going to happen, after all. With the digital age, honestly, with all the knowledge you have around at anytime, I take less time to remember something and more to search for it (once again) at each time I need it. And I don't feel bad about it.

No, I don't think so that age could be in consideration when learning new things, even languages. Many pensioners starts to learn new things and get hobbies simply because they have time for it.

Also when you are start to learn a new language after school or while you have a family or working, multitasking really can help your brain and finding something that keeps you sane from every day chores is useful. Also bilingual children. They will thank you later.

Thank you, I think I have the mental agility of an 80 year old on a very bad day, but there are good days in which my mind is almost as fast and sharp as usual.  It might be my neurological issue; I no longer process many emotions the way most people do, but I am not afraid of that test, hehehe.   Thanks again, and best of luck to you too, I hope you pick your french up very soon as well ;)  We all need some mental exercise, and what better way than learning a new language? :laugh:

Those are very encouraging words, for sure. I'll look upon you as my very own personal cheerleader LOL Well done on standing up to your condition, and refusing to let it keep you down. It's truly commendable and we could all learn a thing or two from you :)

Those are very encouraging words, for sure. I'll look upon you as my very own personal cheerleader LOL Well done on standing up to your condition, and refusing to let it keep you down. It's truly commendable and we could all learn a thing or two from you :)

Thank you, I just try to do my best with what I have :)   I don't want this to define who I am or what I can do, you know?  I know my mind is not what it used to be before (I will never be the same), but I really want to prove  I can do this to myself (plus I really have no choice but to pass that test D: ).  I think I will make it :)    My main enemy right now is laziness.