Linguaholic

How do you learn another language?

misskrystal1982

I am curious how you have gone about learning another language. Did you take classes, or use a computer program?  At what point do you start trying to communicate with native speakers for practice?  My kids and I have been using apps to learn vocabulary, and we are still working with that.  I was just wondering how everyone else has done their learning.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I take it with lots of excitement and interest to keep me motivated. It is not easy for me to learn a new language. I do have an app installed on my tablet which I bring with me when I go out. I also spend a few minutes or hours each day to learn a new lesson, practice and watch tv series. It is like learning and applying it at the same time. I do not have the guts yet to talk to native speakers but I am hoping soon

Well... I learnt English at school with books, videos and teachers.

But, the big challenge for me was to learn portuguese being an adult.

My husband and I had to move to Rio de Janeiro in 2012. I'd never been interested about learning Portuguese before... but I had to: we were living and working there.

Portuguese seems to be easy for a Spanish speaker, but that's not so true. (Advantage: Portuguese is very similar to Spanish. Disadvantage: Portuguese is very similar to Spanish.)

At first, people tried to be friendly with me because they thought they could learn Spanish just by talking to me. But, as soon as they realized that that was imposible, I lost many friends.

Nobody wanted to practice with me.

So, I bought a Grammar book, a good dictionary and I started to watch TV. I also tried to find a Portuguese course, but I had no luck.

I hightly recommend studying grammar when you want to learn a new language. That's the basis.

Once I knew the grammar and the theory, I contacted an Spanish teacher in Rio de Janeiro and asked him to help me with my oral Poruguese.

I learnt Portuguese in 3 months and then I took the CELPE-BRAS exam. I got an advanced certification.

That's my experience.

Portuguese seems to be easy for a Spanish speaker, but that's not so true. (Advantage: Portuguese is very similar to Spanish. Disadvantage: Portuguese is very similar to Spanish.)

At first, people tried to be friendly with me because they thought they could learn Spanish just by talking to me. But, as soon as they realized that that was imposible, I lost many friends.

Hey Gabriela. First of all I would like to say Welcome to linguaholic.com! It's nice have you here. Moreover, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with Spanish / Portuguese. I love the way you put your experience ((Advantage: Portuguese is very similar to Spanish. Disadvantage: Portuguese is very similar to Spanish.) Pretty funny :=) However, I can really understand that this might be exactly the problem: It is too similar, so it gets you confused, right?

Thank you, linguaholic!

Yes... that's true.

About the grammar... it seems to be so similar.. but it is not. Both are very different although they have equivalents in all tenses. Except for a time named pluperfect compound, there's not an exact equivalent in Sapanish.

The pronunciation is not the same.

And the accent are also different.In Spanish we have only one, but in Portuguese they have many types.

I have several ways of learning a new language:

1. Apps and Websites - I just discovered this recently thanks to this site. I was a traditional language learner before, I use books that I buy at secondhand stores or online. But with the advent of apps and websites for language learning, it certainly is easier and more affordable to learn languages. I wish I have known this a while back.

2. Watching series - I have learned a lot of English words just by watching American TV series. I also have learned many Korean words through watching Korean dramas. You learn and you enjoy, two birds with one stone!

3. Other people - I have learned Korean from many of my Korean classmates. They are very easy going and they teach me basic words that I need to know.

For me it's always been a combination of learning in a classroom setup and going to stay among native speakers in their country. I always found that the minute I was in the country, with as few English speakers as possible, that's when my learning seemed to accelerate. Too bad, I can't afford to take off like that anymore :(

Long time ago, I've started with the Rosetta Stone audio courses, but they were completely worthless. Truth be told, I downloaded them from piratebay, but this did not change anything.

I've found that the best way to learn a foreign language is to learn the most basic things. This way, if you know at least what you want, you can communicate with the native speakers or they can make at least an idea about what you want. Next, the classic method of writing every word I learn appears to work best. If you have a lot of downtime at work or commute for 1-2 hours a day, the best way is to write the words in a small notebook and rehearse them whenever you can, depending of your personal goals.

The more time you spend learning, the better you get. It's that simple, honestly.

I'm not saying my method is the best by any means but here it is:

1. Pimsleur - I get the pronunciation and basic words and phrases down.

2. Google up what are the best books for that language. Focusing on grammar and vocab. Also writing.

3. Of course practice with natives at every chance I get. If I can't then movies and tv shows are the next best thing.

4. Anki - flashcard type software for reviewing vocab. Highly recommended. Would be lost without it.

That's pretty much it. Nothing too elaborate. But I do believe the right books and the corner stone of self-study. The trick is to find them.

Good luck!

Richard

For me I mostly read, watch TV series/movies in that language and most recently use apps to learn it (Duolingo is probably the most known option for this - it's mentioned in language learning forums a lot). But all of that aside, I think what really matters is your passion for the language and how intense your desire to learn the language is. You really have to be motivated to learn the language. You have to really want it; have genuine interest. I learned Chinese for at least four years and I still suck at it, because I don't have the passion and drive to learn it. I hated the language (mostly because of the teacher though, she's like the spawn of the devil - vile, vile, vile). So I guess my mind just 'refused' to learn it and I fail at every test. Good times. Praise the lord it's no longer compulsory.

I learned Chinese for at least four years and I still suck at it, because I don't have the passion and drive to learn it. I hated the language (mostly because of the teacher though, she's like the spawn of the devil - vile, vile, vile). So I guess my mind just 'refused' to learn it and I fail at every test. Good times. Praise the lord it's no longer compulsory.

Omg - you learned Chinese for 4 years with a teacher you hate? Was this a university course?

Omg - you learned Chinese for 4 years with a teacher you hate? Was this a university course?

No, it was actually in the last year of middle school, junior high school and the first year of high school. The teacher was absolutely horrible, she really turned me off from learning the language. It's such a shame because I was actually somewhat interested in learning it - in fact, I'm actually of Chinese descent, so it should have been somewhat natural. She's absolutely vile - she shouts at you when you make a mistake, makes fun of you when you fail a test and calls you dumb, etc. And that's only the root of it. She 'teaches' through intimidation and I don't like that everyone in the class had to be plagued with fear every time it was her turn to teach. So I rebelled and practically refused to care.

I moved to another school after the first year of high school and the new teacher was far nicer, but it was unfortunately already too late. If only she taught me from the beginning.

I try to get a base of vocabulary and grammar and then start immersing myself in the language. Reading books, watching tv shows and listening to music in that language. This technique has helped me out tremendously whenever I try to learn a new language.

This is a very good way

I am learning English from English speaking native  tutor and helped me a lot in improving my English...

Very much happy about my English and completely satisfied by this program...

The approach used by them is very good Personal Tutors For Home Tuition...
course will help you further extend your English language vocabulary and improve your pronunciation skills

And after Weighing the pros and cons, I come to the conclusion that preply is the best platform to learning any international language...

I highly recommend this...

Must try this  for speaking English like a  native with Skype...   http://preply.com/en/skype/english-native-speakers

I am trying to learn romanian and my tactic is speaking with native speakers, also listening to Pimsleur lessons :)). I do enjoy watching tv shows or eavesdropping on native speakers on the bus while going to school.

I am trying to learn romanian and my tactic is speaking with native speakers, also listening to Pimsleur lessons :)). I do enjoy watching tv shows or eavesdropping on native speakers on the bus while going to school.

Feel free to ask whatever you want. Romanian native here :D I know a bit a Hungarian, but mainly some basic words.

I usually use a combination of apps, programs or even audio files, which teach you how to pronounce certain words and such. Also, there are really good books to be had, which start you off at zero, and give good tips about how one can learn a certain language.

I am curious how you have gone about learning another language. Did you take classes, or use a computer program?  At what point do you start trying to communicate with native speakers for practice?  My kids and I have been using apps to learn vocabulary, and we are still working with that.  I was just wondering how everyone else has done their learning.

Well I learn through watching TV and other media that use the language as the main spoken language and then I also read books, magazines and other materials that also use the language. After this, I immerse myself with native speakers of the language I am trying to learn and then trying out to converse with them and letting them correct you if possible. These learning styles though are for personal learning and we could also definitely go to language lessons and learning through language apps in the computer and other sources.

I first wanted to learn Nihongo/Japanese because of anime, and now I am learning the language through formal classes.  I also check various websites on learning Japanese, trying the various methods as far as practicable.  I have finished Elementary Nihongo I and will enroll in Elementary Nihongo 2, and possibly 3, but only after I gain employment.  Watching anime and live-action Japanese shows also help me a lot, as I get to learn the most frequently used words and phrases in Nihongo.