Linguaholic

What's your level?

Trellum

That is so interesting!  So your parents are Hungarians living in Romania then?   I met someone once who was originally from Hungary, what a beautiful language that is, but so hard to learn!   The husband of my sister in law is trying to learn it, no idea how he is actually going :P     Kudos to you for getting all those languages to level C2!  That is truly admirable!  Not many people can say they have mastered 3 different languages ;)

Thank you. The thing is, it all came naturally to me, because I was brought up in those different environments. Would I have lived only in 1 country all my life, I would not have been able to learn and master these languages for sure. Especially German. And yeah, my mother is Hungarian and my dad is Romanian, so I already had a two language upbringing since I was a kid. That was definitely a huge bonus for me. :D

Thank you. The thing is, it all came naturally to me, because I was brought up in those different environments. Would I have lived only in 1 country all my life, I would not have been able to learn and master these languages for sure. Especially German. And yeah, my mother is Hungarian and my dad is Romanian, so I already had a two language upbringing since I was a kid. That was definitely a huge bonus for me.

I'm hope that if I ever have children they have a similar upbringing as well :)  I thought that expecting them to know Dutch, Spanish and English would be too much,  but now I do think it's possible ^_^ I will definitely aim to my kids being trilingual, I thought it was so ambitious and kinda overwhelming for a kid, but after reading about your own experience, it doesn't sound so unreal! 

Ok guys, let's talk about the languages we know and our levels.  For that we are going to use the level definitions used by the Common European Framework, they are as follows:

12096097_1629725910614948_25332739226921

A thread I read recently made me thing about this, since there are people on this forum who are learning several languages or that they already speak several languages... I thought it'd be interesting to know what level they considered their languages to be at.   I find that super interesting :D    I was actually think about this today... we rarely talk about levels, but lately this is something that is always on my mind, since i need to have a level of A1 in dutch in order to pass my test. 

So here it goes:

• Spanish (mother tongue)
  • English C2  - 3 years to master it.
  • Dutch   A1  - So far only 8 months - I slacked a lot though :( 
  • French A1 - (6 months, but stopped too soon)

Your turn guys!  Please feel free to also add how long you have been studying each language! 

Hello everyone! My name is Jorge Solis. My level for French is actually  B2. I studied in Paris, France at L'Institute de Langue Francaise. It was a very enriched experience for me, though I do think the tuition was very high. I wish I could go back one day to Paris and revisit some of the amazing places I went to. I also speak English fluently, I graduated from The University of Texas- Pan American. My maternal language is Spanish, since I was born in Mexico.

I'm hope that if I ever have children they have a similar upbringing as well :)  I thought that expecting them to know Dutch, Spanish and English would be too much,  but now I do think it's possible ^_^ I will definitely aim to my kids being trilingual, I thought it was so ambitious and kinda overwhelming for a kid, but after reading about your own experience, it doesn't sound so unreal! 

Definitely not unreal, for sure. Kids learn really fast and can learn languages really fast as well. The important thing is to teach them when they are still young. Since I saw that your native tongue is Spanish and you are fluent in English, that would already mean your kids would know those two by default, just by being brought up with those two languages. Learning Dutch then, would be a piece of cake. :D

@Chris_A   My partner is dutch, so if I think about it... there is a huge chance your kids speak 3 languages almost by default :o   And yes, you are right :)  The younger they start the better,  I noticed that with myself. When I was 16 it was much easier for me to intuitively learn a language, now I am having a hard time with Dutch because I can no longer do the same.  Young children definitely have an advantage over us adults, a lot studies have proven that.  But we can still try out best ;) 

Hello everyone! My name is Jorge Solis. My level for French is actually  B2. I studied in Paris, France at L'Institute de Langue Francaise. It was a very enriched experience for me, though I do think the tuition was very high. I wish I could go back one day to Paris and revisit some of the amazing places I went to. I also speak English fluently, I graduated from The University of Texas- Pan American. My maternal language is Spanish, since I was born in Mexico.

Hi there, Jorge!!  I just noticed you said you are Mexican!  I am Mexican as well :)   From what part of mexico are you from exactly?    I'm so curious, how come you ended up studying in France?  I've met so many Mexican students in the Netherlands and Norway :)   Most of them in the process to complete their masters degree.   I've made a lot friends there as a result (specially Norway).  I'm always so happy when I met a Mexican person in Europe!  

Well crap, I hate to say this but when it comes to some of the languages I study I've been SUPER slacking...

English: Native Tounge...

Japanese: >A1-Beginner conversation

Chinese (Both Madarin and Catanese): >A1-Beginner conversation

French:~A1-Beginner conversation

... I'm ashamed of myself...

I have my own spreadsheet where I keep track of my language levels:
eWJgTTZ.png

As you may have noticed, I also aim on specific dialects where possible.
The levels are based on the European framework, but I'm thinking of adding D and E levels to the level list.
That's because now I can't get any higher than C2, but my English is much better than my German for example, and yet I classified myself as C2 for both.