Linguaholic

Babadum -- a great app/website to learn vocab!

danica

A few days ago I came across Babadum. It's a really attractive website which teaches you new vocab in 14 languages through simple games. Currently the languages are: GB English, US English, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Italian, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Portuguese, Greek, Czech, and Lithuanian. You can also learn Hiragana and Katakana.

They are currently in the process of adding: Hungarian, Chinese, Dutch, Turkish, Hebrew, Danish, Vietnamese, Arabic, Norwegian, Korean, and Finnish. 

You can access it on your phone too as it has a mobile version. I just thought it was worth telling everyone about :)

Edited by danica

I've just tried it. It's not worth my time, to be honest. As long as you don't get to repeat words and grammar, you just get to learn some vocabulary and that's pretty much it. I'd rather look at some language lessons on youtube rather than spending time on this website. Sorry if it's yours, but I simply can't find it useful.

• 1 month later...

I just tried it with Spanish and it's great!! Since I learned Latin at school and speak English and German and Czech, I can guess so many words there and it's awesome!! Thank you!!! :)

I am really curious about you adding Hungarian to the app. I always check my mother language on learning apps, i am just interested how other people and perceive something that is natural to me.

Great app by the way, thanks for sharing.

On 10/10/2015, 8:16:21, danica said:

A few days ago I came across Babadum. It's a really attractive website which teaches you new vocab in 14 languages through simple games. Currently the languages are: GB English, US English, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Italian, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Portuguese, Greek, Czech, and Lithuanian. You can also learn Hiragana and Katakana.

They are currently in the process of adding: Hungarian, Chinese, Dutch, Turkish, Hebrew, Danish, Vietnamese, Arabic, Norwegian, Korean, and Finnish. 

You can access it on your phone too as it has a mobile version. I just thought it was worth telling everyone about :)

Seems like one more great application for a language learner. Thank you for sharing, I would take a look at it, and download a version for my android phone.

I like that there is Greek and Spanish. I used to study Greek for 2 years at my Uni, but I forgot it :(, and I learned Spanish from soap operas. Russian I studied, too, in my primary school, and it would be ok to brush up on it a bit,too. :)

Thank you again!

• 4 months later...

It looks like a  great site, but sadly it seems they don't offer Dutch?  That is such a pity, when I thought I had been missing a great web site that could help me improve my Dutch vocabulary, I come across this :(   Thanks for sharing though, I don't see use for this site right now, but I honestly hope they add Dutch to their list soon. I'd love to test it out. 

On 4/14/2016 at 9:10 PM, Trellum said:

It looks like a  great site, but sadly it seems they don't offer Dutch?  That is such a pity, when I thought I had been missing a great web site that could help me improve my Dutch vocabulary, I come across this :(   Thanks for sharing though, I don't see use for this site right now, but I honestly hope they add Dutch to their list soon. I'd love to test it out. 

Hey, Dutch is pretty high up their planned languages. They use donations to pay for it all, here's their indiegogo page with all the updates and the future languages list.

I personally love Babadum, I discovered it a few months ago and fell in love with the graphics. Even though I'm at a high stage of my Spanish learning, I still use it because there is some vocab I don't know, and I love that they have so many different languages I can delve into. 

On 4/16/2016 at 11:35 PM, Danili said:

Hey, Dutch is pretty high up their planned languages. They use donations to pay for it all, here's their indiegogo page with all the updates and the future languages list.

I personally love Babadum, I discovered it a few months ago and fell in love with the graphics. Even though I'm at a high stage of my Spanish learning, I still use it because there is some vocab I don't know, and I love that they have so many different languages I can delve into. 

That is odd :( I mean, I'd think that adding Chinese would be more complex and time consuming, because well, dutch is nothing extraordinary.  But I feel much better knowing they do plan to add it :)  Thanks for letting me know, I will bookmark the site :)  Looking forward to it, I am moving to the Netherlands soon and very busy trying to learn as much Dutch as possible :) This will be useful! 

On 4/19/2016 at 3:36 AM, Trellum said:

That is odd :( I mean, I'd think that adding Chinese would be more complex and time consuming, because well, dutch is nothing extraordinary.  But I feel much better knowing they do plan to add it :)  Thanks for letting me know, I will bookmark the site :)  Looking forward to it, I am moving to the Netherlands soon and very busy trying to learn as much Dutch as possible :) This will be useful! 

Yeah, it's supposed to be one of the easiest languages for English speakers to learn. I have a friend who's learning it and it looks very peculiar, interesting though. Popular language to learn despite the Netherlands being tiny! 

You might find Clozemaster a good way of learning (like a fill in the gap thing), they have Dutch. I think there's another thread here on them.