Linguaholic

Cultural differences

That's one of the hardest problem you have to face, along with the context (because some ask translator to do tasks without providing a clear context, and this should be forbidden), it is the cultural differences. Basically, in a translation, you can't easily introduce a new context without being out of the topic when doing the translation (you want the text to be understandable, but close enough to the meaning of the original text, and to the intent of the writer, you're not an author when doing translation), and if the word does not exist in the target language because the concept itself is non-sense in the target language, what you have to do? Should you modify? Should you try to find something similar but not the same? Should you explain? That's hard.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

You have to learn the cultural context in which you are learning the language, for example, even speaking your native tongue, 50 years ago, people wouldn't be able to understand you, or would be very confused because the context was different. 

You have to learn the cultural context in which you are learning the language, for example, even speaking your native tongue, 50 years ago, people wouldn't be able to understand you, or would be very confused because the context was different. 

If you take the 50 years example, common structures and the language itself would have changed, with new words added regarding to the new technologies and habits of the countries, along with trends and fashion. But yes, cultural differences is important, and you're right with your example: it shows easily why it is important to learn the culture.

But the problem is that to understand a new culture you don't know yet. How can you manage to know it? How to learn it and to especially translate it in your brain and in your native language if you ever want or need to do translation after all.

Well as a translator, maybe first you get to know the culture a little bit, and also have some literature in you. But I totally understand what you mean, I read numerous books that had so bad translated things (etc. food, tv show names, famous people) because they were afraid that the stupid reader won't get them if they are using the original version. On the other hand it's a little bit down on the reader itself, you don't need your own cultural version of a definite tv shows, to understand the subtext.

As a translator you have to find the middle way, between two.

Cool story: The Hungarian translator of the harry potter books translated the world "locket" as "lock" in hungarian, but it means 'pendant' too. So, when the 6th or 7th book came and it turned out to be a horcrux, he was kind of thoughtful and even had an interview that he had to change the whole dynamic of the chapter.

Edited by hungary93

When you talk about culture you talk about how things are done in here sort of thinking. Now if you apply that to a language, it would surely start some confusions if you do not know anything about the culture of the language in question. There are certain things that could only be understood if you are a part or at least understand how a certain culture works. I find it funny reading about poorly translated texts because the translator is doing it base on the books and had totally ignored about the culture

Okay, so the post answers to the 2 posts above, but I won't quote because they are "close".

The thing about translation is not only about culture, it's about what people expects and how they execute the translation work. For example, when doing a translation, some won't provide the context, leading to bad work. As well, the problem is what people ask from the translator: they ask more for school grades than anything else, and these school grades will talk less about the culture than any real conversation or reading can get to you to the real usage of the language in your domain. That's the another problem you'll face.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should modify and explain.  I think intent should come first.  The person wants to get a point across.  I would explain to the person speaking (or writing) that what they want to say doesn't exist in the other language then ask if they want it modified so the other person understands. 

Yes, this can be one of the great problems when it comes to translating one language to another. The best examples you see of this are ads, were certain ads in the country of origin get a laugh but let them be shown in another country. I think the best way to deal with this is remember that when you translate a text you are conveying the meaning of the text, so if you can find something that is equivalent in the other language, use that. On the other hand if you have visual cues, you have to find a way of translating the text so that the images make sense.