Linguaholic

Book-by-book learning

FlagOnce

Because side-by-side is sometimes better, or I don't know. But often, books, are translated into multiple languages, more than videos and web pages can be. Books are designed to put the meaning of what you read in one language into another, basically, it is a translation, but a more literal translation that you would see on the web when you translate websites.

So, as language learners, I thought about something: if you like a book, and if you like to read a book, why not trying to read the "target language" book first, and if you don't get something, read the book in your native language. This way, you would get habits, and meanings rather than exact words definition more easy to find on the web.
What do you think of my approach?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Books are a great way to grow more familiar with a language in your mind, even if you're not fully understanding everything you absorb. This is especially true in languages that use a different alphabet than English (Latin). One must learn to read the language before they can understand. And the more the words bounce around in the mind, the more likely connections are to occur.

Yes! I just read any article about reading books, before you even understand or know most of the words. It really helps your brain to be comfortable in a new space. In the summer I read "Micul Prinț" and to tell you truth I only knew whats going on, because I knew the story already. It was like an 'empty reading', just looking at words and watching them. But really helped my brain, later on I recognized sentences in another text and went: oh, okay so that's what it means.

Try it with a children's book, or comic, or your international bestseller.:)

It may help condition my mind to learn a new language by acclimating myself to it. I would not focus on it though as I tend to rely on the basic lessons first and do some sort of other interventions to help in the learning process. 

It's a good approach but it will only work if you have prior knowledge of the language. Meaning, you already know how sentences are supposed to be structured, subject-verb agreement and other such principles. In addition to reading book-by-book, I think writing down thoughts and ideas in the language you're trying to learn helps a lot.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 7:31 PM, Devid Lean said:

I would start with small and simple books, first read them in a language you understand better, and then read in the language you want to learn. So you will remember and recall the plot in the process and learn new words and phrases.

This is an interesting idea, but its implementation requires that free time is regularly available to you. I can rarely afford that, because I have tasks in college that need to be done on time.

• 1 month later...

I think that it's a good idea. It may be hard but effective for language learning. For me reading in a foreign language is easier than writing. There are so many paper types, and each of them has different requirements and other details. I spend some time every day practicing because I believe that practicing is the key to success. Luckily there are enough info and writing tips online. For example, I found one source with additional info about satire essays; to be more specific, there are essay examples. It helps me a lot because when you have to write something, and you have an example, it makes the process faster. Of course, the papers I write now aren't perfect, but I think I am making some progress day by day.

• 1 year later...