Linguaholic

Future and Subjunctive in one?

JARS

Hey all, 

just wondering how to say "we may leave England and go for a long holiday in Spain" in French? I want to use the Subjunctive and other stuff. Sorry I'm pretty new to it all.

is it something like "nous partions l'angleterre" etc or is that totally wrong?

thanks very much.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hi JARS

I just asked one of our members to help you with that question. His native language is French and I am pretty sure he can give you a hand with that. 

regards lingua

thanks so much

My friend has not yet responded. But maybe you could use something like this: Another friend wrote that in fact :=) Doesn't sound 100 percent correct, though. It may still be a good starting point.

Nous laisserons l'Angleterre derrière nous afin de passer des longues vacances en Espagne.

Edited by linguaholic

Okay, hm, so, the native way would be: "On pourrait partir de l'Angleterre et aller en Espagne pour de longues vacances".
However, it depends of the meaning. Take the "long holiday". If you talk about the holidays happening between June and August, then, we would call it the "grandes vacances". But if you are just talking about a vacation with long duration, "longues vacances" has no special meaning regarding to "when you take the holiday".

Now, regarding to the "On pourrait". On basically means "we", but not if we speak about grammar, I'm still not sure of the reason. If you really want something more literal and formal, it could be "Nous pourrions partir de l'Angleterre et aller en Espagne pour de longues vacances". However, subjunctive feels inappropriate here, hence the "may" make it feel more conditional, hence my choice.