Linguaholic

What are the most popular TV shows in Germany?

111kg

Google shows me a lot of options and I really don't know what to pick. I just want to watch a couple of shows, just to see how much am I able to understand when native speakers talk between each other. All my teacher and even the people from Duolingo use a slow tempo, but when it comes to speaking in Deutsch with German natives, oh my god, they speak so fast.

There are a lot of options as you have said, but personally, one of my favorites are Galileo, The Taste, Die Höhle der Löwen.

"Galileo" - is cool because it tackles everything around the world's curiousity, there are a lot of interesting episodes I must say. "The taste" is like the version of "MasterChef" in the U.S., while "Die Hohle der Lowen" is their version of "Shark Tanks". 

In general, I think it depends on your interest. Unfortunately, I do not know what it is - but if you want a further suggestion, let me know more details on what are you looking for and I will do my best to give you some ideas. And by the way, they have a lot of American TV shows as well, of course they are all dubbed or revoiced. Personally, I started watching dubbed TV shows when I was a newbie learning the German language. I would suggest you do the same, it might not be so native but it would be great for the start because it is slower and clearer to go with ;-)

Thanks. But where can I find dubbed TV shows? Because I can't find them anyware, not even on Torrent sites.

I've just checked some Galileo previews. They look really good. Thank you for your recommendations.

Thanks. But where can I find dubbed TV shows? Because I can't find them anyware, not even on Torrent sites.

I've just checked some Galileo previews. They look really good. Thank you for your recommendations.

www.prosieben.de or direct to the program; http://www.prosieben.de/tv-programm

or try as well www.vox.de . Just try to go in these two channels, they have a lot of program replays. Prosieben is where they air the Galileo and some other interesting dubbed shows, the same with the Vox.de channel. I hope you can open though the links wherever your base is. Let me know then J

• 4 months later...

When I was in Austria, the show I found easiest to understand was "Mein Mann kann". It was a game show where women bet on how well their husbands could complete a task - things such as number of pushups they could do or number of plants they could name.

If you're listening comprehension isn't that good yet, I would watch something you've already watched in English several times so you know the plot and the general idea of what the characters are saying. I love Orphan Black so I've watched the first two series several times in German. I can now hear what they're saying rather than relying on subtitles.

It seems like everyone's watched Friends and The Simpsons but comedies often have faster paced dialogue so it's harder to keep up.

You can always buy dvds with a German dubbed option - the German amazon has a wide choice.