Linguaholic

Difference between speaking and writing a language

cpefley

well it's the same in all the languages, writing isn't like speaking, because in writing you have a lot of time to think about what you are going to write without needing to think about if you say it in the correct way or not, but when you are speaking there is no enough time to think and say it in the good prononciation, that's that hardest part !

I think it's also because writing is more formal than speaking.  Plus, we are taught in school that when you write you have to follow certain rules.  You don't necessarily have to follow those same rules while speaking: for instance, the infamous dangling participle.  I agree with the above post, as well.  You have more time to go back and rewrite, but can't go back and change what you have just said.  Once it's out, it's out. 

Yes writing is a more formal mode of communication as compared to speaking. Also writing remains pretty much the same across larger area with same language but you might find several ways of speaking in different areas with the same language. For example majority of USA's population writes English the same way but you will find several accents in different parts of the country.

It's true for all languages I study. However, when I write a language, since my goal is to improve my conversation and I don't intend on becoming a good writer, I usually write like I speak. Drives some of my teachers nuts at times, but there it is.

Yeah I'm going to chime in here and agree when everyone says that writing and speaking are different. it depends on the language of course, but generally speaking writing is at large a lot more formal and I think it would benefit to learn both at the same time but maybe treat them separate if that makes any sense.

It is very easy to speak the language in general but difficult to write it, Why? When you speak you do not worry about the spelling or punctuation and so on. If ever you made a mistake you can correct yourself right away. Unlike when you right you have to consider all the rules like spelling, punctuation, tenses etc. I guess that applies to all languages not just English