Linguaholic

Spanish student

bobbieb

I have been studying Spanish for some time. I started learning my junior and senior year of high school and then went on to minor in Spanish at college, which really helped balance out my science-intensive degree. I love Spanish and I love pushing myself to think in different ways linguistically. I unfortunately haven't become fluent in the language, because like so many others I need to become fully immersed in the culture/language in order to fully become fluent. However, I have not lost hope that I will someday when given the opportunity.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have been studying Spanish for some time. I started learning my junior and senior year of high school and then went on to minor in Spanish at college, which really helped balance out my science-intensive degree. I love Spanish and I love pushing myself to think in different ways linguistically. I unfortunately haven't become fluent in the language, because like so many others I need to become fully immersed in the culture/language in order to fully become fluent. However, I have not lost hope that I will someday when given the opportunity.  

Congratulations bobbieb for imagining in that direction. Now if there is something you need right now is internalization of the “Spanish being” which is exactly about the culture and belonging as one of them right from the inside. This would be the very good direction towards assuming fluency and the value of the language of a unique people. To make this as effective as possible, it would be very beneficial to take some time and live in a purely Spanish neighborhoods among native Spanish people to engrain a deeper experience on how linguistic properties such as intonation, accents, vocal expression, and non-verbal expressions among other cues are expressed. Otherwise what you have going on is a good step. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Good luck with that.  

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am trying to learn Spanish as well. Someone suggested that I turn the language setting on my phone to Spanish. It has actually helped me to learn key basic words. Maybe you should give it a try. Its a good alternative if you live in an area where you cannot be fully submerged in the culture.