Linguaholic

Any book suggestions

Does anyone have any book suggestions to help out someone that is beginning to learn French? Also can anyone help me with some tips for beginners about learning french? Any native English speakers? I am so excited to get started! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm not a native English speaker but I do remember the time when I was in your shoes and just starting to learn French :) I actually envy you a bit - you are about to discover so many exciting things for the first time!

There are a lot of nice student's books, I'm sure you'll be able to pick out something that'll be best for you. If I could give you a small piece of adivce, it would be to make sure you get the pronunciation right at the very beginning. When I started with French, I was a bit confused with all the (numerous) rules about reading words and I managed to learn a couple of sounds the wrong way. When I decided to get a tutor later on, she had to spend a whole year correcting those things I had mislearned :)

Bonne chance!

Ania

J'adore "Le Petit Prince"!  It might not be the book for the absolute beginner, but it is a book to read early on in your french learning endeavors.  It is, nonetheless, probably my favorite book of all time.  It is like an adorable children's book that adults need to read and learn life lessons from as well.  It's so beautiful.  I could read it again and again.

Also, I think there are a lot of books from Barbar, the young french elephant who wear a little crown.  This is also a children's series in France.  I have a bit of an obsession with elephants, so that could definitely be a reason I think he is so cute.

Barbar is written for kids.  There was a guy in my high school french class who said that his french mother used to read it to him as a little boy.  If you're looking to start at the very beginner level, then I'd get Barbar off of amazon.com.

I hope any of that is helpful!  Good luck!