Linguaholic

The best literature to start

FlagOnce

One problem with literature (and so, often, books, doesn't matter if it's on your computer or on paper), is that it follows often the strictest and the most complex parts of a language. Sure, it depends of the book you read, but it would feature often a lot of grammar you wouldn't meet in everyday discussions and you will probably never hear, in fact, outside of that context.

So that makes a lesser priority to learn. But if you like to read, you would better spend some time to read on another language to associate how you like to read with the learning you should do. So, what is the best genre of book to read?

• 7 months later...

I would recommend Le Petit Prince. It was the first French book I read all by myself without a teacher to guide me or classmates for support. It is my favorite book and it was simple enough to understand with my rudimentary French skills. I learned so many words and I genuinely enjoyed the story so it didn't feel like learning, it felt natural. The Little Prince asks questions like "what does this word mean?" and so I felt like I was learning about the world along with him. Perhaps it is best for someone with an intermediate level of French than for a beginner, but I really think it is a good one to start off with. 

Je lis de la poésie parce qu'elle m'intéresse même en anglais. J'étudie le francais depuis cinq ans déjà, et j'utilise des versions de texte qui contiennent une traduction, donc c'est peut-être pas le moyen le plus facile de se familiariser avec la literature, mais l'avantage, c'est qu'il ne faut pas ingurgiter tout un long livre si on n'a pas de patience suffisante!

• 6 months later...