Linguaholic

Teaching in English?

Fegg

Hello, I have been using Spanish to teach this language in the past and used English here and there to explain some tricky grammar parts or translate some words, but now, I´m starting to record some online videos for youtube where I start from beginner's level and I´ve been doing it in English to explain at least some basic grammar. The problem is that even though I´m fluent in English, I know it is not exactly perfect, still make some minor mistakes and my accent sounds to me soooo bad that I´m considering switching to Spanish or having my friend speaking those lessons for me. Still, I´ve never had a problem to be understood.

I was wondering what do you think, does it feel not very professional for a native Spanish teacher using English if it is not completely perfect? These videos are completely free, I really enjoy teaching for the sake of it, but still, don´t like to give a low professional image. 

Another solution is to subtitled them, but I was thinking about that just for higher levels, I really believe in the value of being taught in the same language you are learning. 

Hello, I have been using Spanish to teach this language in the past and used English here and there to explain some tricky grammar parts or translate some words, but now, I´m starting to record some online videos for youtube where I start from beginner's level and I´ve been doing it in English to explain at least some basic grammar. The problem is that even though I´m fluent in English, I know it is not exactly perfect, still make some minor mistakes and my accent sounds to me soooo bad that I´m considering switching to Spanish or having my friend speaking those lessons for me. Still, I´ve never had a problem to be understood.

I was wondering what do you think, does it feel not very professional for a native Spanish teacher using English if it is not completely perfect? These videos are completely free, I really enjoy teaching for the sake of it, but still, don´t like to give a low professional image. 

Another solution is to subtitled them, but I was thinking about that just for higher levels, I really believe in the value of being taught in the same language you are learning. 

I think it is completely fine to introduce some basic concepts in English, as long as your English is easy to understand. It does not need to be perfect, if you ask me. Feel free to share some links to your content, so it will be easier for us to give you some feedback on it!

As long as you aren't using it incorrectly, I see no problem with you saying the words in English.  Sadly, most native English speakers make very basic grammar mistakes.  Mostly spelling.  As for subtitling, that may actually be a good idea.  Saying it in Spanish, while having the words below in English give the students a way of hearing it in another language, while showing them the translation in the language they know. 

it's better to be in English, and the accent doesn't means you are unprofessionel ! also for the small mistakes, every one do those mistakes even the native speakers so I think you are doing well, and you can share your links here so we can see them

I agree with previous posters. I think it is perfectly fine to teach the basics using English! If you are easy to understand then it does not matter if your English is perfect. It sounds like you are doing a really good thing here, good for you! 

I think it is fine to bounce from Spanish and English when teaching. I think whatever helps get your point across is going to help you as a teacher and help your students see your point of view. As long as it isn't confusing for others then I say go ahead with that method! 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's perfectly acceptable to teach in English, even if it's not perfect. The important thing is it's understandable. The high-level students will also be able to pick out parts of the language in comparison to English in your mistakes (if you make any), and you open up access to a lot of low-level students just starting out. The video concept is also great. Using video and audio aides in language learning is always a big plus.

Being marked as professional and feeling as professional are different issues. I think what is more important is to feel professional. If you feel satisfied with what you teach and what your students gain, you are on the right way, keep doing it. Image is important but reaching our aims is more important. The way you take to teach is your choice and be sure that it is the best way for you. So do it the way you feel is the right way. All of us do minor or even big mistakes, we do it even while teaching in our NL. That must not be an obstacle keeping us from doing what we feel as right.

• 11 months later...