Linguaholic

Has anyone tried to learn Interlingua?

Lingua Franca

Interlingua was created to be a universal language. It´s base is English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish having Germain and Russian as secondary references and It includes certain words from other languages. I haven't learned it yet but I was surprised how easy it was to understand without having ever seen it before.

Hello everyone! My name is Jorge Solis. I have actually never heard of this! This sounds like a good idea, although I thought English was sort of the "international language." You see, languages not only serve to communicate, they also serve to establish politcal barriers between countries and cultures. For instance, The USA and Canada are very similar. Yet, Mexico, a country that is part of North America, is very alienated from these two other countries simply because of the language barrier.

Hello Jorge, and welcome onboard Liguaholic. Interesting to see you're currently studying French and Italian, my two favourite languages, which I hope to one day master :) Good for you!

I too never heard of InterLingua, let alone tried to learn it. But it does sound very interesting, like some sort of universal language bringing together all the languages. I don't even think I know anyone who speaks it. I'll do a search on Google and see if I can maybe get an audio clip, as I'm interested in hearing the accent in which it's spoken too.

Hello! Thank you for this information :) I've never heard about "interlingua" too, but I would like to know more about this because I think it might be an interesting idea. This kind of new language could help everybody to learn better and quickly the other ones. I'll probably search something about it this afternoon!

By the time I found this video on YouTube and I admit that it is very understandable

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kaoGA-my13k

Regards ^^

Edited by *Beatrish*

I'm glad to see that I was able to contribute something new to this form. There have been various attempts to create global languages, some with more success then others. Interlingua is just one of these various a languages. The great advantage of Interlingua is you don't have to learn it to understand it. If you can speak one of the romance languages you should be able to grasp a large amount of it.

Wow never heard of it! I only know of Esperanto - (if you don't know) an artificial language that was suppose to be universal language but didn't catch on.

@*Beatrish* thanks for the link!

Is this like a real thing? People actually study this, or is just another attempt just like Esperanto?

I have never heard about InterLingua, but I would love to try to see if I could comprehend some of it. I am going to try to find it online. That would be cool if more people did learn an internationally known language. Just think of the possibilities if we could all understand each other. 

Oh wow, you learn something new everyday! I have never heard of a language deliberately made to be a global language, that is until now. I have always thought of English as kind of the global language since more and more people are becoming speakers of it. But I think having one language that will be known as a global language would be beneficial. If only that language can be made into curriculums and such so it will be known by many.

I have never heard about InterLingua, but I would love to try to see if I could comprehend some of it. I am going to try to find it online. That would be cool if more people did learn an internationally known language. Just think of the possibilities if we could all understand each other. 

You mean like English? :D