Linguaholic

Graded Readers

Anju

Hey all, i'm just curious about something.
Are any of you aware of graded readers? They're books created for language learners where it starts off easy but as time goes on you learn more vocabulary and complex grammar.

I have heard about it before and I did buy one for Korean, however it took quite some time as the resources are limited and the books I tried to buy were $5 each on google play.

If anyone has any experience with graded readers then please do tell! 

I think Graded Readers are a valuable resource for Language Learning. When studying a foreign language, reading books is a great thing to do but it is very easy to stop reading books/novels/short stories in other languages because the effort that one has to make if his/her knowledge in that specific language is not good enough, is huge. I often read in Chinese, for instance. However, there are still quite a lot of words that I don't know and it is so exhausting to look up all these words when reading. So, to sum up: If the text you are reading in a foreign language is too difficult, you might not get too far because you are constantly forced to 'take a break' and look things up in the dictionary, so you probably never actually get into the story at all. 

That sounds very helpful.  Where can you get them besides Google Play? I don't have a tablet or a smartphone, just a laptop. 

As long as you search it up in your respective language it's fine. I was just saying that google play was the only place I could find graded readers for Korean. However, you don't need a tablet or smartphone to use google play, you just need a google account. The books can be accessed on any browser, I believe, though i'm only using google chrome.

I think it will help anyone who wants to learn a new language. I know a graded reader is focused on the learning process than the enjoyment of reading itself. If you were able to find one then good because not every book is intended to teach you how to learn a foreign language.

I used some of the graded readers while learning French and Spanish, and they definitely were useful. These days though I prefer to learn with the help of children's books in the target language or by rereading my favourite books that I already know well enough from their English/Russian translations. It's probably because it's not so easy to find a really interesting graded reader where I live, and being a bit old-fashioned I prefer my learning books to be made from paper. But if you are lucky to find a graded book that picks your interest, you should go for it!