Linguaholic

English-language books that changed your life

anna3101

Not necessarily self-help or philosophy. Do you have a book or books that have made such a deep impression on you that you became a different person? Something that made you look at your life in another way? Something that changed your habits, your way of thinking or maybe influenced you to make some big decision?

There were many books like that for me, and I'm so incredibly grateful to their authors for writing them and sharing them with the world. Some were more of an "eye-opener" and others just induced small changes that led to great benefits.

I'll share some of my favourites here and I hope to hear about yours too!

• Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl - some amazing thoughts about what it means to be a human and how important it is to have a meaning in your life
  • Life Lessons by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross - diminishes death fear and makes you appreciate life more
  • My Life Tree by Claus Moller - introduced me to the concept of planning things which has stuck with me ever since
  • The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron - finally explained a lot of things about myself and several people I know about why we are too sensitive to so many things and how to live with that
  • Superfoods Rx by Steven Pratt - opened up a world of healthy food for me, something I'd never thought about beforehand
  • Slow Death by Rubber Duck by Rick Smith - this one made me realize that pollution is more than just a buzz word on the TV

What are the books that were "it" for you and made you see the world under a different angle?

Edited by anna3101

I've read a lot of books in my lifetime and these two really stood out for me. Both tells of the time during WWII. While I was reading the book it made me reflect on how I am taking the little thing in life for granted. I also realized that no matter the decades/time that have passed since then, I feel like the situation remains the same for the world and we're all just looking to the side, ignoring it.

- Night by Elie Wiesel

- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/28/2015, 4:29:42, foolsgold said:

I've read a lot of books in my lifetime and these two really stood out for me. Both tells of the time during WWII. While I was reading the book it made me reflect on how I am taking the little thing in life for granted. I also realized that no matter the decades/time that have passed since then, I feel like the situation remains the same for the world and we're all just looking to the side, ignoring it.

- Night by Elie Wiesel

- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Thank you for sharing books that changed your life. Night by Elie Wiesel is that available in Kindle edition ? 

Gunslinger by Stephen King. I know it may sound a bit unconventional, or even odd, but this is the first book in English that I dared to read after about 5 years. My first attempt at reading book in English was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows and I pretty much understood what was going on, but most of the time I had to string together pieces of sentences to do so. I was really discouraged and a little timid, but Gunslinger opened my eyes to the whole new world of books where I don't have to wait for them to be translated (most of the books I'm interested aren't translated at all).

• 3 weeks later...

Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank and Ernestine Gilbreth. It's one of my most beloved books. Frank and Lillian (the parents) remind me so much of my own parents. I also love the way it was written - sentimental but not maudlin, cheeky and irreverent, but always respectful. I hated the ending, however, but it's not like the authors did it on purpose.

• 1 month later...

This is a tough question primarily because in one way or another the books you read somehow change you in a way. This is my lame excuse as I'm trying to recall which among the many that had a great impact on me. OK, here's my list, not necessarily in order of its impact:

The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran - It talks about different topics in life - love, marriage, joy and sorrow, etc.

Letters to a Young Poet - Rainer Maria Rilke - It's a collection of ten letters by the author to Franz Xaver Kappus, a 19-year-old officer cadet at the Theresian Military Academy in Wiener Neustadt - The poet talks about how it is to be an artist and a person. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!

The Bible - Word of God - I've read countless of books before, but could never get pass the Book of Genesis. Then 3 years ago, something just happened and I managed to read the whole thing. It changed me. (This will have to be No. 1 though I said my listing is in no particular order.)

The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis - It's a fictional writing of a 'devil uncle' to his 'apprentice in training nephew'. It's a satire, and you'll have a lot of laughs (at least it had that effect on me). It makes you aware of how temptation works and what the devil uses to promote sin.

Who Moved My Cheese - Spencer Johnson - It talks about to deal with change in work and life. It's a very easy read since it's written in a parable style, but the book has full of insights.

@OmniHead The subject interests me too. I didn't put the books that influenced me in here because I know that some people frown upon "spritual/occult" stuff and I didn't want to offend anyone. But I'm glad you mentioned it, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there :)

The Circle Of Reason by Amitav Ghosh absolutely changed my life.  The book is not very well known, neither is the author from what I understand, but if you get the chance you need to check this one out.  It is a story of an Indian boy who travels the world with no family, and it really is well written and tugs are your heart.  I could not put it down and I am usually not that way with books.  I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good story.