Linguaholic

Teaching a foreign language to children

anna3101

I used to be a language tutor and the most difficult thing for me was teaching children.

I wonder what are the best methods to deal with 7 to 10 year-olds?

For me, the biggest challenge was that it's their parents who made the decision. The children themselves are often not interested in a foreign language, they are already overloaded with school programme and all they want to do is play lego or go for a walk with friends. And I entirely sympathise with that but what can I do? I was hired to teach them, not to play with them. I tried my best to introduce some games and fun elements into the lessons but I couldn't completely overlook grammar exercises and other "boring" bits.

Is there something that really works when you try to teach children?

Utilize the lego or whatever toys and games they enjoy playing. Get to know what works for them and what makes them tick. It is only then that you can come up with a methodology that is fit for their needs and learning style. It could be easy to acquire a certain knowledge but it is not easy transferring this knowledge especially to kids with shorter attention span.

I don't have children myself yet.
But when I will have, I'll probably teach them English, Spanish and maybe Mandarin.
Those are the 3 most widely spoken languages in the world, very useful if they decide to do business with the whole world.
However, I won't force them to, knowing my family isn't really into language learning but perhaps I'm a combo breaker and everything will change in the future. :P

I taught English in South Korea for five years. I found that table-top roleplaying games, like Dungeons & Dragons (of all things) are actually fantastic tools for teaching languages. My ten-year old students loved it! Children love games, so any way that you can 'game-ify' your lessons is sure to get a positive response from them.

When I was in school, my teacher used songs and games, even for grammar.  Perhaps you can do the same.   Granted, we were older (it was the 8th grade), but it worked.  You can have them work in groups or make a contest out of it.  Just anything you can think of that would make it more fun. 

When I was in school, my teacher used songs and games, even for grammar.  Perhaps you can do the same.   Granted, we were older (it was the 8th grade), but it worked.  You can have them work in groups or make a contest out of it.  Just anything you can think of that would make it more fun. 

I like this idea a lot. Songs are not as "boring" as normal  grammar exercises, and I think they can be very useful. Although the problem is to find suitable ones :( It's not so easy to find songs that are both pleasant in terms of melody, have easy vocabulary and the grammar is both neither too difficult nor "incorrect". I wonder if anyone knows English songs that are useful for beginners?

I like this idea a lot. Songs are not as "boring" as normal  grammar exercises, and I think they can be very useful. Although the problem is to find suitable ones :( It's not so easy to find songs that are both pleasant in terms of melody, have easy vocabulary and the grammar is both neither too difficult nor "incorrect". I wonder if anyone knows English songs that are useful for beginners?

You said they were 7-10 year olds, right?  What do preteens listen to in Russia?  What is acceptable for your school?  Maybe I can figure out the English equivalent. 

You said they were 7-10 year olds, right?  What do preteens listen to in Russia?  What is acceptable for your school?  Maybe I can figure out the English equivalent. 

To tell you the truth, I have no idea about what is popular in Russia these days.  I'm now living in Poland and I do occasional teaching tasks here. And I must say that some of the things children listen to actually make me apprehensive :( I have nothing against pop, I actually like it a lot myself, but some of the "cool" songs (not just Polish - also American or British) have a lot of swear words, insults or plain ugly stuff that I don't even want to describe here. It's sad that such young children already listen to that, probably, they don't understand much, but still...

To tell you the truth, I have no idea about what is popular in Russia these days.  I'm now living in Poland and I do occasional teaching tasks here. And I must say that some of the things children listen to actually make me apprehensive :( I have nothing against pop, I actually like it a lot myself, but some of the "cool" songs (not just Polish - also American or British) have a lot of swear words, insults or plain ugly stuff that I don't even want to describe here. It's sad that such young children already listen to that, probably, they don't understand much, but still...

Here in the Netherlands it's perfectly fine to swear on the radio.
I was listening to an interview with a Canadian rapper at one point at work, so the presenter said "this is so fucking amazing", to which the rapper was shocked to hear you can freely swear on the radio here.
The presenter on his turn was shocked to hear you can get fined for that in Canada, so then that rapper started to swear all he could in the next 15 minutes. :(

At that age (7-10), I would say that getting them interested in the language is the most important. I teach English to children in Japan (in a public school) and I think the biggest problem for me is that they don't care. They simply DON'T CARE. They get through class with the bare minimum, they don't participate, and they don't actually learn. I find that playing games with them is A LOT more effective than teaching them grammar. Maybe they don't learn as much (or as fast), but they remember what they learn. Of course, we can't play games every lesson, but I try to do my lessons based on activities that require interaction among students. Instead of getting them to sit around and take notes, I get them to move around and do a worksheet with their friends. I get to draw pictures or make crafts. I get them to do something "fun", something that actually makes them think. Then after the activity, I follow up with the grammar. 

I think that's the most effective way to teach a foreign language. 

For my kids the best way to help them learn is to make it fun. I would try putting grammar or vocabulary onto the lego, and also put the corresponding word in their native language on lego. Then they can match it up, and build with the matches they made. Or when you go on a walk, let them name everything they see in the language they are trying to learn. Reward them when they get things correct. Maybe get dvds of fun kids shows in the new language, if the parents allow, and help them to understand it. 

I can more or less relate to this.  When I was still in elementary school in Saudi Arabia, our classes were required to learn the Arabic language, whether we liked it or not.  I think it was in Grade 3 when we were required to master the Arabic alphabet.  Every year level until high school, we always had an Arabic class.  In my case, I only studied Arabic not out of pleasure, but out of requirement.  It's basically stiff learning a language which you have little or no interest in.  Back then, there were no language apps or computers, just some chalk and board.  As of the moment, I have no children, but if I do, I will try to teach them Nihongo as well as instruct them on basics about Japanese language and culture.  In fact, I will also try to enrol them in a Children's Nihongo program so they can have fun learning the language.