Jump to content
Linguaholic
linguaholic

The multilingual idioms thread // Crowdsourcing Project

Recommended Posts

This is a really great idea. I will be sure to contribute to it as much as I can. This resource that you have created will help so many other people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a truly great idea, especially for a forum like this. I'll add all the Finnish ones I can come up with (but only the ones I'm absolutely sure of) :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Northea said:

What a truly great idea, especially for a forum like this. I'll add all the Finnish ones I can come up with (but only the ones I'm absolutely sure of) :lol:

Can't wait to see that! Kiitos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! 

I also added some idioms in Estonian. There are some that are used the same way, but with different words. For example: through thick and thin - but in Estonian we use through fire and water.

Also I find it funny how just before Estonian, there's Finnish column and some of the phrases are similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added the column Chinese and provided a few idiom translations.

I wonder, how we can make sure the file is not being edited by more than one person at the same time. When that happens, I think it's possible that some of their changes become lost. Should there be a locking mechanism to allow one person to edit at one time?

This Multilingual Idioms List may be the first in lexicography or in human history. There ought to be a Wikipedia page for this work. Once the Wikipedia English page is set up, we can easily translate it into numerous languages and set up pages in those languages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yong321 said:

I added the column Chinese and provided a few idiom translations.

I wonder, how we can make sure the file is not being edited by more than one person at the same time. When that happens, I think it's possible that some of their changes become lost. Should there be a locking mechanism to allow one person to edit at one time?

This Multilingual Idioms List may be the first in lexicography or in human history. There ought to be a Wikipedia page for this work. Once the Wikipedia English page is set up, we can easily translate it into numerous languages and set up pages in those languages.

Hi there Yong321. I really feel honored by your words. In Fact, if more than one person is editing the document, you would notice. because it is all done in real-time and you can see the changes of other people immediately and you can see them browsing thru the pages (you can actually see their cursor).

Best, Lingua

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yong321 said:

I added the column Chinese and provided a few idiom translations.

I wonder, how we can make sure the file is not being edited by more than one person at the same time. When that happens, I think it's possible that some of their changes become lost. Should there be a locking mechanism to allow one person to edit at one time?

This Multilingual Idioms List may be the first in lexicography or in human history. There ought to be a Wikipedia page for this work. Once the Wikipedia English page is set up, we can easily translate it into numerous languages and set up pages in those languages.

那你是中国人吗?我现在住在北京:=)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi linguaholic,

我是中国人. I'm a native Chinese speaker. Thanks for telling me there won't be conflict if two people are editing the list. Google Docs is doing a great job!

I just blogged about this list: http://english-for-chinese.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-multilingual-idioms-list.html Any comment is welcome!

Could you make some minor corrections on the first column of the list? For instance, "burn (not bum) the midnight oil". Change "a" to "A" in "achilles", "a to z" to "A to Z". Append "a" to "piece of cake". I only went through the first 50 or 60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yong321 said:

Hi linguaholic,

我是中国人. I'm a native Chinese speaker. Thanks for telling me there won't be conflict if two people are editing the list. Google Docs is doing a great job!

I just blogged about this list: http://english-for-chinese.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-multilingual-idioms-list.html Any comment is welcome!

Could you make some minor corrections on the first column of the list? For instance, "burn (not bum) the midnight oil". Change "a" to "A" in "achilles", "a to z" to "A to Z". Append "a" to "piece of cake". I only went through the first 50 or 60.

Thank you for those remarks. I can do that. Sure. No problem. 

Thanks for blogging about it. Really appreciated.

regards

Lingua

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @linguaholic!

Wow, what a great idea! Idioms are incredibly difficult to translate into other languages, and English is known for some odd ones. It's amazing to see how many people have contributed to your project and into how many languages you have been able to translate idioms! This is an important part of learning English, because friends, family, coworkers, and even acquaintances will use idioms to express emotions or situations. 

Great work!

- Atlanta English Institute

www.atlantaenglishinstitute.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 3:12 AM, Atlanta-English-Institute said:

Hi @linguaholic!

Wow, what a great idea! Idioms are incredibly difficult to translate into other languages, and English is known for some odd ones. It's amazing to see how many people have contributed to your project and into how many languages you have been able to translate idioms! This is an important part of learning English, because friends, family, coworkers, and even acquaintances will use idioms to express emotions or situations. 

Great work!

- Atlanta English Institute

www.atlantaenglishinstitute.com

Hi there. thank you very much for the praise. I appreciate it.  I hope this list can further be developped!

Best, 

Lingua

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone brought to my attention the book CHINESE IDIOMS AND THEIR ENGLISH EQUIVALENTS (https://www.amazon.com/CHINESE-IDIOMS-THEIR-ENGLISH-EQUIVALENTS/dp/9620700430/) It cannot be previewed on Google Books or Amazon. But one reader's review on Amazon tells us how the entry looks like. It's a wonderful dictionary. The authors did exactly what this Multilingual Idiom List does, limited to Chinese-English only but with a far greater number of entries. It may be the only Chinese-English idiom dictionary ever created if we emphasize the word "equivalents" in the title. I don't know if there're other idiom dictionaries between two (or better yet, more than two) languages that list the equivalent idioms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Content

    • By Felix Brassier
      Être canon
      This is a slang adjective used to describe a handsome or very seductive person. We can refer to this expressions with the weapons ''canons'' or the esthetical rules that were used a lot before in paintings, sculptures and arts in general - ''canons de beauté''
      Être une bombe
      We also say of a very attractive and sexy woman: « c'est une bombe » To be a knockout, to be a bomb
    • By Kitsich
      The best way to improve your English is to speak it every day doing real things. Take these idioms into service: Idioms examples
      Use the selected quotes, idioms, phrases and expressions. Learn and improve your English skills - Yanglish.com. For example: good morning beautiful quotes for her . These quotes are the experiences of great people, these thoughts are tips from successful and famous.
    • By gjp
      Hi,
      Could someone help me with some expressions/sentences I don't understand or don't find the right expression in English? It's needed for a translation project and it's really important! Thank you!
      1. Ca te fait quelque chose.
      2. On va baliser le terrain! Mais il n'y a rien á baliser. (couple at the airport, waiting for their baggages)
      3. Même la crevette elle nous a regardé elle a dit "j'te jure moi aussi j'trouve c'est abusé".
      4. C'est comme ça faut s'y faire hein... 
      5. Elle m'a quitté. Je fait le malin mais c'est moi qui ai pas assuré. 
      6. Moi j'ai des copains ils ont l'air bien avec leur chérie. Je leur dis "tu l'aimes ?" Ils me répondent "vite fait".
      7. Je fais le malin alors que...  qu'elle m'a quité cette fille. 
      8. Ca c'est très français de bouger tout le corps. C'est pas un jugement c'est un constat.  Il y a qu'en france ou il y a des mecs qui disent  "dit donc, faut que j'te dise un truc parce que y'a pas mal de gens  qui au niveau de l'entreprise,  m'ont parlé de pas mal de dossiers. Faudrait que j'ten parle j'ai euh... quand même euh... quelqu'un qu'est sur le coup et puis va falloir qu'on en parle 
      parce que hier c'est vrai que toi t'es venu de l'autre côté euh..."
      9. Y'a qu'en france ou au milieu d'une phrase on peut donner un petit coup de sifflet personne te dit rien. Genre euh... "dit donc, va falloir le faire, les autres euh... y sont là et uuuuiiiiit de l'autre côté. L'autre il répond, il surenchérit même, il dit même pas qu'il... non... "Eh m'en parle pas hier ils étaient carrément uuuuiiit et moi uuuuhuuuu."
      10. Ils matent le steak.
      11. Un mec qui aurait le forfait sommeil quoi. 
      12. Quand tu commences à fredonner des chansons tu sais euh... super anciennes avec l'air vachement habité comme ça 
      et que chaque intro de chanson tu te la prends dans la tête.
      13. Dodelinage (some kind of head movement to music?)
      14. Tu fais le foufu (while dancing)
    • By Tureng Spanish
      Try Tureng English - Spanish bilingual dictionary. Millions of entries, translations, idioms, slangs and terms from medicine to engineering in more than 150 categories. Listen pronunciation in five different accents. Visit us at http://tureng.com/es/espanol-ingles  or just simply click http://tureng.com/ to choose your language pair.  
      Translations are ongoing.
      For daily idioms in Spanish-English
      Follow us 
      https://www.instagram.com/turengspanish/
      https://twitter.com/TurengSpanish
       Please share your comments with us.
    • By JasleenKaur
      When you refuse listen to what someone says, especially criticism, you brush it off ; you ignore what you told.  
×
×
  • Create New...