Linguaholic

Dialang - test your (European) languages

anna3101

I'd like to share one of my favourite programs to measure the level of knowledge in some popular European languages. Not an app but I guess I can put it here among apps.

I've been using it since ages, and although it has its drawbacks (who doesn't?), it's one of the best free programs to estimate a language level. Not very pretty when it comes to interface but what matters for me is functionality.

Dialang needs Internet connection and Java. It has tests checking your reading, writing, listening, grammar and vocabulary, and later on evaluating them against the European Framework (from A1 to C2).

You can choose from Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Icelandic, Irish-gaelic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.

Here's the link to download it:

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/researchenterprise/dialang/about

I hope it'll be useful for you.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

OMG!!!!!!  Thank you!!!!!!!   I needed something lik this, I say my dutch is level A1 right now, but I'd like to see how true that is!  I'm downloading the client and  I hope I can test it right away!  

UPDATE: Sadly this client uses JAVA and I can't update it :(  Because the older version of Java is the only one that works with my oracle client.  I will be able to update it after a couple of months though :) 

Edited by Trellum

OMG!!!!!!  Thank you!!!!!!!   I needed something lik this, I say my dutch is level A1 right now, but I'd like to see how true that is!  I'm downloading the client and  I hope I can test it right away!  

UPDATE: Sadly this client uses JAVA and I can't update it :(  Because the older version of Java is the only one that works with my oracle client.  I will be able to update it after a couple of months though :) 

I'm sorry you can't try it out right away :( I hope you can try again when you have Java, I'm sure you'll find some of the tests useful. Plus, they also have a kind of "self-evaluation" criteria before you start which is always a very curious thing for me. I've seen it with friends that tried Dialang that we all either have a tendency to overestimate our skills or underestimate them. I wonder which one is worse :)

I think I might've possibly found the best program to learn a new language that there is. It is called Lynda.com it's a site that gives you online tutorials, and it's language learning service is absolutely brilliant. Teaches you and a slow steady pace and they explain it absolutely amazingly. I was honestly blown away by this program when I first started using it. I honestly could not believe how easy it was to learn a new language with this program, Plus if you are interested there are a lot of other tutorials that you can learn as well. I just think it's a really good service and I thought you guys might like to try it out. It Has really helped me a lot in learning a new language.

Lynda.com, to learn a language? Are you sure? They have some brilliant programming courses but as far as I know, they don't offer any language learning. They surely never did before and it's not in their profile, so to speak.