Linguaholic

Looking to revive your language skills?

lushlala

I have been looking to re-cultivate my French by giving myself refresher lessons, with a view to getting prepared to get back into my language lessons gun blazing. I know a lot of the Linguaholic members are far beyond the basic stage, but for the few who might be starting out or in the same boat as me, I found a very good site for this sort of thing. It covers a ridiculous amount of languages and is a great resource for basic phrases, idioms, colours, grammar and handy links.

Here's a link for those who might be interested:

http://www.omniglot.com/index.htm

I hope you find it as useful as I am J

It's a pleasure, @anna3101 :) I've been scouring the net for free language learning tools, and I'm amazed at just how much's out there! With my French and Italian having gone beyond rusty ( *hides face* LOL), I think this site will come in very handy for me, and those in my situation. The important thing for me is that it looks like something that I can use to slowly ease myself back into it, without too much pressure. I don't want to be overwhelmed the minute I step back into it LOL

It's a pleasure, @anna3101 :) I've been scouring the net for free language learning tools, and I'm amazed at just how much's out there! With my French and Italian having gone beyond rusty ( *hides face* LOL), I think this site will come in very handy for me, and those in my situation. The important thing for me is that it looks like something that I can use to slowly ease myself back into it, without too much pressure. I don't want to be overwhelmed the minute I step back into it LOL

We are quite lucky to have access to the Internet, right? So much useful information out there... I cannot imagine my life without it now. When I think back about my university times, those long queues at the library, writing down information from books... well, I don't feel nostalgic :) I'm really glad we have so many more possibilities to learn.

I know, @anna3101! I was saying just the other day that I don't know how we ever coped without the internet. We obviously did, but now that we've had it so long, I just couldn't live without it. Imagine that we can now teach ourselves so much without having to pay a penny, something we could not have done before. The internet is truly a thing of beauty LOL :)

Thank you for this.  I have to admit, my French is very rusty.  I didn't have the Internet until I was in my 20s, and I was terrified of talking to people that I didn't know.  Plus, I live in a mostly English-speaking area.  I had no practice after high school. 

It's a pleasure, @czarina84 :) I've been feeling my way around the site, and I feel that it's a very good tool with which to get back into it. I like how it goes back to basics, and gives you the chance to build you confidence without all the pressure; a really good way of easing your way back into your learning process after so long.  You have the same problem as me, I live where English is the most spoken language, and I actually don't know of any one native French speaker around me, so I'm on my own. Well, I hope you'll find the site to your liking and that it actually helps :)

Aww I'm glad you're finding this handy, @ Cave Bear. So it's a real pleasure to have helped :)  I suppose sometimes every little helps, especially for some of us who haven't reached the dizzy heights of fluency in our chosen foreign languages LOL

I've spent some time with this site and I don't really how this can actually help a person who wants to learn only one language. For instance, if i want to learn how to write "Good Morning" in German, I should be able to do that immediately without having to search through that huge list of translations in different languages.

What a nice site! I'm glad I stumbled on this topic. I've been wanting to revive my non-existant French skills, but couldn't find a place to start. This site looks like a good place to start reviewing.