Linguaholic

Your favourite songs in German?

anna3101

Hello,

I'm now trying to revive my long-forgotten German. My favourite method of learning a bit more vocabulary has always been listening to songs. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about German music except for Marlene Dietrich and Rammstein :) I like those two lot but would love to listen to something else as well.

Could you please share your favourite German songs with me?

Thanks in advance!

Ania

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Thanks a lot, foolsgold! I actually have two of their songs on my player right now - "Guten Tag" and "Aurelie" - and I really like those. Thanks for mentioning their other popular songs, I'll be sure to look for them.

Well, if you like Rammstein then you can try Oomph!, Stahlhammer, Eisbrecher, Unheilig, Megaherz, Silber.

There's a huge scene for alternative electronica in German-speaking countries, especially industrial, darkwave, synthpop, etc...
For those, try bands like Lacrimosa, L'Âmme Immortelle, BlutEngel, Black Heaven, Mantus, Das Ich, Miss Construction, Gothminister, Diary of Dreams, Stillste Stund, Sepia, KMFDM, etc...
Also, if you like metal, you can try many sub-genres with bands like In Extremo, Adorned Brood, Empyrium, Subway To Sally, Eluveitie, etc... many metal bands opt to write in English instead.

Thanks a lot for your recommendations, Elimination!

I normally don't listen to metal or alternative music but I find that Rammstein is somehow much "easier" and more pleasant to my ears than other bands. I'll try out some of those you've mentioned and see if I can understand any lyrics.

• 6 months later...

So far, I've been listening to a band called "Die Ärzte" and I'm really enjoying their songs. I especially like their songs titled "Männer Sing Schweine" and "Deine Schuld." I am also expanding my variety to other bands too, like Ich + Ich and Rammstein. Unfortunately, finding German songs in America is proving to be difficult, and YouTube isn't really helping because all of the songs there are of very poor quality.

• 1 month later...

I got excited seeing this thread! But if I list all my favorite songs, this is gonna take all day. Most songs off all albums of:

Die Ärzte

Madsen

Wir Sind Helden

Juli

Silbermond

Die Toten Hosen

Wizo

and probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

• 1 month later...

Hi!^^ I'm German here are some popular German bands/singers I know:

Die Ärzte

Die Toten Hosen

Silbermond

Revolverheld

Juli

Ich + Ich / Adel Tawil

Christina Stürmer

Falco

Glasperlenspiel

Echt

Fettes Brot

Böhse Onkelz

Cro

If you like pirates/sailors, maybe you could like "Santiano". (They are my personal favorite.^^)

And if you like medieval and mhystic songs: Faun

I hope this was helpfull!^^

• 2 weeks later...

I rediscovered Tokio Hotel. I fell in love with "Durch den Monsoon" and "Der Lezte Tag" again. Also I stumbled across their other German songs too and I honestly can't pick a favorite between "Kampf der Liebe", "Totgeliebt", "Für Immer Jetzt" and "Hilf mir Fliegen".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really love the song Mein kleines hertz. Its from the german movie Unsere Mutter und unsere väter. It is such a good film, i really recommend it. 

I also like Symphonie by Silbermond.