Linguaholic

Favorite Movies in French

tulosai

I LOVE to watch French movies as a way to improve my French language skills.  What are some of your favorites?

I love La fille sur le pont a great deal.  I am NOT a fan of Amelie. I love the rouge, bleu, blanc series.

What are some of your favorites?

i remember watching a French movie in film class and it was really good (can't remember the name). I love the way French sounds and as a new learner I think watching movies is a huge tool for learning.

I'm actually going to watch the film Untouchables in my French class next week. Has anyone seen it?

The Untouchables is definitely my favorite French film so far. I liked it (OK, I'll try not to give the plot away) because the acting was marvelous and although serious, the movie was filmed and acted out in a light-hearted way without losing it's character.

The Untouchables is definitely my favorite French film so far. I liked it (OK, I'll try not to give the plot away) because the acting was marvelous and although serious, the movie was filmed and acted out in a light-hearted way without losing it's character.

That's exciting. I'm especially hyped because now I'll actually be able to understand what the people say (although it'll be minimal). I hope we watch more films down the road.

I particularly like "La haine" and about every other film with "Vincent Cassel" in it. The film depicts the lives of three friends in their early twenties from immigrant families living in an impoverished multi-ethnic French housing project (a ZUP - zone d'urbanisation prioritaire) in the suburbs of Paris, in the aftermath of a riot. Another one that I really enjoy is "Banlieu 13". There are some crazy fighting scenes in it feels a little bit like a Jason Statham film.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Amelie and Paris, Je T'aime. I guess I just like quirky, optimistic, romantic films. On the flip side, I also really enjoyed La Pianiste (a French/Austrian film), which is very dark and intense. It was an eye-opener, but not really one that bears repeated viewing.