Linguaholic

When you read a book, how important is its author to you?

I was thinking about this not such a long time ago. I remember that several times, both in real life and on the Internet, I heard people say something like "I used to really like the books of X, but now that I've read his biography I no longer like that author".

I've had the same happen to me a couple of times: really enjoyed the book but when I discovered some ugly facts about the author, I just couldn't look at the book with the same eyes.

Is it important for you? Do you care what kind of person wrote the book you were reading, in any language? Have you ever felt disappointed when you learnt unsavoury details about the author's life or his/her views?

Improve your knowledge of any language online

I mostly don't care... Here's why each and every person has their special and unique way of interpreting life, whether its cute and adorable like a fluffy bunny or sick and twisted like Joker and Harely Quinn. Each person has been, been in, or will be in their own personal brand of bat poop crazy moments whether it's just as simple as a bad experience to as bad as the person is going to spend the next 40 years of their life in jail. Cause each and every person has their own way of experiencing life that make them who they are...

It reminds of a quote by Philip Larkin:

“They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you."

Plus so long as the book is good and interests me I'll continue reading, beside I like percieving what insanities go on in a person's mind, because mad people are always the most fun...

That sounds awful, @ anna3101! Maybe I'm not best placed to answer this question, because I've never been in that situation. So my answer is really based on supposition, I may very well react differently if I were in a true life situation of that nature. I personally doubt I'd change my mind about how much i rate the the quality of the book. I'd probably still recognise the author's gift. Depending of the gravity of the things I'd heard, I don't know if i'd continue to support them by buying any more of their books. I guess unless you've walked that path, it's not easy to give an objective answer.

I don`t really care about an authors personal life and such. All that matters to me is, if I enjoy his or her work. This is the same with actors. People might hate an actor in real life, but for me, if he is a good actor and produces good movies, I don`t really care what the general public thinks about him. Personal life and the work one does should be two separate things altogether.

Scribendi: World-Class Editing and Proofreading

It's very important to me actually. I've been reading a lot here lately and I've found quite a few authors that I am really starting to like. I just finished a really good book call The Time Machine by H.G Wells. I really enjoyed it a lot. I actually enjoyed it so much that I read it twice. Another book that I've read recently was Goosebumps The Haunted Mask. I really enjoyed that book as well. R.L Stine is another one of my favorite authors. I think it was about 3 moths or so ago when I started reading more. It all started with ebooks and then I made the switch over to actual books. I really enjoy reading. It really seems to help me relax and unwind after a long day of work. It's fun to me.

I try to be diverse and have variety when I read so I like knowing the author's ethnicity/background. It's also a good insight how their background or culture affects how and what they write, the themes in their writing, etc. I've read books by Nigerians, Japanese, Russians, etc.

I actually envy people who can differentiate the book from the author. To me, they are far too close to each other. If I don't respect the author, I simply cannot look at his work without seeing him/her behind it.

I used to like Tolstoy before I've read some parts from his diary and the memoirs of the people who knew him. I was so disgusted and disappointed that simply couldn't go on reading him any more. It sounds like hypocrisy to me when the author is preaching, say, humility and kindness in his novels but in real life behaves in exactly opposite manner.

Being a woman, I'm unfortunately also not very tolerant to authors who think women are inferior to men and should spend their lives in the kitchen :)

Completely and absolutely irrelevant. I'm an avid book reader and I've never once refused to read a certain book because of it's writer. The only exception for this would probably if the author had said something offensive about something that I like or very firmly believe in, then he or she would be instantly banned from my life because I really don't like those kind of people and I refuse to support them with my hard-earned money. Will I still read the book? Probably, if it's good. I don't believe a name is a reason to miss out on something good.

It did kinda happen to me with movies (sorry I know you're talking about books here! :D). Sometimes I encounter a movie that is just really crazy unique. So I look into the story behind it, who made it the way it is. Then I find out the person is really cool and I fall in love with their style. Which ultimately makes me love their movies even more.

I feel like you can kinda tell what kind of people authors are based on their work. So I would be surprised if I got "disappointed" by finding some out some stuff about some author's life.

But maybe books are different? Either way, I only have positive experience with this and only with movie directors.

Of course it's important the name of the author. I don't have time to waste with low quality stuff, therefore I must be sure that the book I am reading was written by a well known author. But on the other hand, I really don't care about his personal life. Its his mind of which I am interested of, not his life.

Honestly, I could careless about the author. When I read a book, it's the content that matters the most to me. So what if this person isn't a world famous author? That doesn't mean he/she can't produce good books. For me, I never look at the author when I'm reading a book. I read the synposis and decide if the plot is worth my time. 

The author's biography doesn't matter to me at all.  However, I find myself reading books from the same several authors.  I guess that I just like their writing style.  A lot of times I don't even bother to read their biography, because it doesn't influence me once way or the other.   However sometimes if I do read their biographic it makes me realize why they write a certain way.  For example one of my favorite authors is Australian.  After reading more about her it made sense why a good amount of her books looks place in Australia. 

I've had the same happen to me a couple of times: really enjoyed the book but when I discovered some ugly facts about the author, I just couldn't look at the book with the same eyes.

SPOILER

I would like to give you a hard time about this, and tell you how illogical it is to let this keep you from enjoying a book, but I have no right to say anything because I do it myself. For example, I found out one of my favorite authors is extremely religious, and now everything he writes seems to reveal this and it bothers me. And with movies for example, I don't watch or enjoy anything I've already seen by Woody Allen because he divorced his wife to marry his adopted daughter. These things really shouldn't affect me, but they do.

I don't read about the author's life all that much and it's not something I look out for when choosing a book. However, knowing some insight into the author's background does help me understand why an author would write something in a certain way. It kind of helps me understand their thinking. But I don't think I've avoided anyone because of their lifestory.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By gustavklopp
      Learn new languages by reading anything you choose.
      This was inspired by other site/projects like the opensource Lwt, the closed source lingq etc...
      Here's how it works:
      - You import any text you want. - When you read, there's a built-in dictionary which allows to quickly get its translation.  - LingLibre marks in the text this word as saved with a particular color. The more you read, the more words appear as 'known'. There are still more functions as:
      importing from other software like lwt, exporting to Anki Suggestion of similar words to the words you've already saved integration of Google translate to translate the whole sentence direct import of webpage, PDF, EPUB etc... keyboard shortcuts for very fast reading statistics etc...

This project is opensource: it's free to use and to modify: Any participants are welcomed to use and help coding this project: The main project (source code) is hosted here: 
      https://github.com/gustavklopp/LingL
      Any code suggestions, discussions, bug reports should be posted here: https://github.com/gustavklopp/LingL/issues
      You can download it (Linux, Windows, Mac) here: https://github.com/gustavklopp/LingL/releases

• By russkyhusky
      Bonjour à tous! I am finally pursuing my long-held goal of learning French - I can't afford to take classes though so am looking for materials I can use to teach myself. Are there any books/multimedia learning packs that other people have used that they can recommend? I will most likely use this in combination with an app like Duolingo, but I have a background in language learning (a bachelors degree in German and Russian) and know from this that I value resources that also teach grammar rules. An audio element so that I can check my pronunciation is also important. Any tips anyone can offer would be much appreciated! 
      (PS - I live in the UK, so I guess I'm on the lookout for books that will be available to me here!)
    • By teacher.nia.online
      Better English
      Issue #1

Wins
      Kirill participated in, and finished,  his first half marathon on September 15, 2019. Kirill is a full time lawyer, father, husband and more! And yet, he managed to squeeze running into his hectic schedule.  Read more about the race here. Kirill is pictured above with his family. (You can see the images on your laptop, if not on your phone!)

Let me know of  recent wins in your life, big or small, that you’re proud of! Write to me here, [email protected] Send pictures!

Vocabulary Expansion
      Did you know that in English we don’t eat coffee? We drink coffee. We have coffee. We imbibe coffee. We sip coffee. But we don’t eat it. Eating involves mastication, involves chewing. 

What about ice cream? We don’t eat ice cream, either. We don’t chew it. However, we don’t simply swallow ice cream, either, as if it were a liquid! We have ice cream. We don’t eat ice cream. We don’t imbibe ice cream. We don’t sip ice cream. We just have ice cream. That’s it!

When speaking of consuming any solid food, semi-solid food, soft food or liquid, the safest, and always correct, verb to use is “to have”. 

Recently, I had eggs cooked in butter with sliced tomatoes and hot peppers. I also had milk with two tablespoons of Nescafe Clasico stirred in. What did you have recently for one of your meals? 

Did you see any new vocabulary? Read the above short text on Readlang! To Eat, To Drink, or To Have That is the Question

Resources
      Readlang is a great tool for vocabulary expansion and review. Check out this series of short tutorials and get started! Getting Started with Readlang

Video Download Helper is a Firefox extension that allows me to download and save, offline, most of the videos I want to save for further study offline. You;ll know you’re in the right place because of the easily recognizable yellow, red and blue ball logo. 

Recommended Reading
      Outliers is a series of true stories and observations. I listened to the audiobook and you can, too. 

Interview
      Grant Cardone interviews Joe DeSena. Enjoy the conversation. If desired, adjust the speed to 0.75 by clicking on the settings button on the right side of the video toolbar. 

Listening Comprehension Challenge
      Secrets of Success in 8 Words, 3 Minutes What was this person saying and what made understanding them so challenging? What could this person have done to make it easier for his audience to understand him? How can you make your English easier for your audience to understand?

Gems from Class
      interested vs interesting
      Both interested and interesting are adjectives.
      interested says something about how the subject feels
      For example: I am interested in travel.
      In this sentence, “I” is the subject. This sentence talks about how “I” feel.

interesting says something about the power of  the subject to make other people feel a certain way.
      For example: Travel is interesting.
      In this sentence, “Travel” is the subject. This sentence talks about the fact that “travel” has the power of making people feel a certain way. 

For more practice and to subconsciously learn the rules, do some online exercises. Here is a  link. Repeat the exercise many times until you get 100% correct repeatedly.

Pronunciation & Intonation
      met SOUNDS LIKE set, bet debt, jet, let, net, pet
      met is the simple past affirmative form of the verb “to meet”

meet SOUNDS LIKE meat, seat, neat, feet, feat, Crete
      meet is one of the simple present affirmative forms of the verb “to meet”
      the other  simple present affirmative form of the verb “to meet” is meets

Tip: When reading and writing, use your voice! When you use your voice, you’ll be less likely to write “met” when you mean “meet”. You’ll be less likely to  write one word, when you really mean another one. 

Poll
      Here is the question:
      What is your BIGGEST problem with English?

The Sharing Economy
      Enjoying this Better English newsletter? It just takes a moment to share useful and inspiring content with a friend or a business colleague.

Do you believe you need better English? We are committed to serving adults who are non-native speakers of English. Those adults--out of necessity--use English at work, and they have an intermediate or advanced level of English. Does this describe you? Do you have have access to 30 minutes per day,  technology and the determination to get better at English now? Contact us today.
        Niamaat aka “Nia”
      +52 33 2235 2989
      [email protected]
      Get Better English Now

Copyright © 2019 Get Better English Now All rights reserved.

• By John Ulmer
      I wrote a small Android app for myself that has helped in my reading comprehension of numbers, in my case French numbers. Recently I put it up on the Google Play store so anyone can use it, and it's free of charge.
      It's basically a number drill, something like flash cards, but with user-configurable speed, font and number format. The object is to say or think the number before the next one is shown. You can start with, say, two digit numbers every 5 seconds in a clear font, or make it difficult with phone numbers in a handwriting font. 
      The app will run in either English or French, depending on which language is set on your Android device. L'application fonctionne en français ou en anglais, selon les paramètres de votre appareil.
      Here's the Google Play Store link: Numerus app

• By kickinlosidiomas
      Glassbow makes bilingual editions of the classics (Pride and Prejudice, Peter Pan, The Prince, etc.), the collection of all 36 books is on sale for $9 this week, usually $29. There's new releases every other month which are included for all "collection" purchases. Of course you can get the books for free in English, but these come with a translated edition built in paragraph-by-paragraph. Not a bad deal for $9.

www.glassbow.com/collection

Sorry if this is wrong forum, I'm new. Please move if so!