Linguaholic

Is it possible to be objective when it comes to your native language and culture?

anna3101

I wonder if native speakers can really feel the beauty of their own language. Can they be objective when they discuss its grammar and vocabulary? Are they the best judges for what's "the best" and '"the worst" in their culture?

I'm a native Russian speaker and I've met people who really enjoyed studying Russian. But I could never really understand them. I cannot look at my native language from the point of view of someone who's only just discovering it. Also, when it comes to giving advice about the cultural bits, my point of view will be heavily influenced by what I've learnt while growing up, by what's acceptable or not in Russian society, by my political views etc.

Now that I live in Poland, I feel the same "cloud" covering my eyes when it comes to Polish. I remember how it looked to me when it was still "foreign" and how now I take it for granted. I'm no longer a very good judge of just how difficult or easy a certain grammar issue may be.

What's your opinion about native vs non-native speakers? Who is more objective? Who's more likely to give you good insights and recommendations?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I wonder if native speakers can really feel the beauty of their own language. Can they be objective when they discuss its grammar and vocabulary? Are they the best judges for what's "the best" and '"the worst" in their culture?

I'm a native Russian speaker and I've met people who really enjoyed studying Russian. But I could never really understand them. I cannot look at my native language from the point of view of someone who's only just discovering it. Also, when it comes to giving advice about the cultural bits, my point of view will be heavily influenced by what I've learnt while growing up, by what's acceptable or not in Russian society, by my political views etc.

Now that I live in Poland, I feel the same "cloud" covering my eyes when it comes to Polish. I remember how it looked to me when it was still "foreign" and how now I take it for granted. I'm no longer a very good judge of just how difficult or easy a certain grammar issue may be.

What's your opinion about native vs non-native speakers? Who is more objective? Who's more likely to give you good insights and recommendations?

Interesting question Anna. Let me give you my opinion on this. Let's take Chinese as an example:

Pronunciation: I would definitely go for Native Speakers.

Grammar: I would prefer someone sharing the same mother tongue as me teaching me Chinese Grammar. Why? Simply because native speakers of my language (German) who mastered Chinese (Grammar), they stumbled upon the same problems that I will have to deal with, because people sharing the same 'language background' often have similar problems when it comes to studying foreign languages (especially foreign grammar).

Writing: Both native speakers and foreigners are acceptable

Reading: Is close to pronunciation, therefore I would rather go with a native speaker. 

I showed everyone my preferences when it comes to studying Chinese. When studying other languages, other 'rules' would apply, though. For instance, when studying a language that is close to German, I would most probably not have a lot of problems with the pronunciation of words/syllables/etc, so a non-native speaker would be totally OK as well.