Linguaholic

For those that have completed a language in Duolingo

misskrystal1982

Do you feel as though you have a fluency in the language now that you have finished?  Or does it seem as though you still need more work?  I am nowhere near being done, but my son is getting closer and I was trying to find out if he will be needing more language learning type classes or if I should be looking for books, and so on for him to use when he is done. 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have never completed anything on Duolingo, it comes with lots of mistakes any way.
But yes, if you really want to learn a language, you'll have to use multiple resources and not just rely on only 1 app.

But I would suggest you both to train your speaking and listening skills either in real life or over Skype with a native speaker.
Trying to learn a language without speaking it is like trying to drive a car without tires, really (although it would be awesome to have a floating car in the future!).

Of course writing and reading skills are important too, but not only that.

There are a lot of different language learning apps that I've tried in the past, them I didn't find very helpful to me at all and learning a new language. Most of them are very gimmicky and charge a ton just to download. Personally I think the best way to go is. Lynda.com is the site that teaches to Tutorials on many different subjects but it also has a section for language learning. I've been using this for a few months then and I can tell you that this is absolutely the best language learning site ever. Much better than the ones that they advertise on television. Take it from me it works, and it is at a very low price, so it will work with any budget.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't completed any language there but I suppose you will need to start talking in that language..one thing is to be able to translate the sentences and words Duolingo has but another thing is to actually be able to speak in the language. So I guess your son will need some additional class maybe just a conversation class or something like that...

I've completed the German course on Duolingo. It taught me a lot, definitely, but I am by no means fluent. There is quite a bit more vocabulary I could learn, as well as grammar. I think what will help with that is immersion, such as translating, reading, and writing German, or whatever language you are learning. Still, I practice on Duolingo almost every day to keep up with what I've learned, and I really do like the site.

To build on that: people who have completed a language in Duolingo, which aspect of the language (reading/writing/speaking/listening) do you think you are strongest in? Do you think Duolingo has had a big part to play in that? 

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely second (or third) taking a class or continuing your learning after finishing a course. From my experience, it is a good tool to help you practice and get to a certain point, but it by no means is going to make you fluent in a language. A buddy online or, if your town is big enough, close by can help with conversation and pronunciation, but advanced books, whether they are novels or study tools, would probably be your best bet for higher level grammar and vocabulary.

On 12/1/2015, 12:48:46, catincamden said:

To build on that: people who have completed a language in Duolingo, which aspect of the language (reading/writing/speaking/listening) do you think you are strongest in? Do you think Duolingo has had a big part to play in that? 

I finished the German course and I definitely say my strongest is reading, but that's mostly because you spend so much time reading sentences and examples. I wouldn't say any of the other things you listed are a weak spot by any means, but I can definitely read and comprehend faster than I can listen and understand :laugh: Maybe it's just me.