Linguaholic
Improve your knowledge of any language online

What's the most challenging about learning a foreign language?

On 11/5/2015 at 1:38 AM, anna3101 said:

For me, the most challenging thing in all languages (sometimes that also includes my native language!) is putting the right accent inside the word. There are some languages where the rules are fairly simple: always the second syllable from the end or the last one, and bingo. But even in those languages there always will be exceptions...

The second place in the "most challenging" competition I would give to speaking skills. Writing and reading come more or less easily, listening is more difficult, but speaking fluently - that takes more time and effort. Much more. At least, that's the case for me.

I agree. Learning conversational language is the most difficult part of learning any language. If you learn language by reading, it is likely that your language will be stilted. Therefore, in order to develop language skills you need to learn spoken language. On books you will not find "I am gonna do this" kind of language.However, while speaking people wil be using this kind of phrases.

for me it is speaking with the proper accent and pronunciation that is the most difficult. I can memorize words and phrases fairly easily but being able to speak them correctly as I hear them in my head is another thing entirely. I try to sound as much like the locals as I can when I speak a foreign language and even though I know it's impossible I just try and be as accurate as possible not only so that there will be as little misunderstanding as possible but also just for the sake of being accurate in itself. 

When it comes to pronunciation of the language I'm trying to learn, one of the things I enjoy most is finding movies or television shows in that language, and then watching them with the closed captioning or subtitles.  Once I know what the story is about, what's going on, I focus then on inflection and accent, the natural way to say the phrases, not just the vocabulary (although vocabulary is important!). 

Oftentimes, in trying to pronounce the words correctly and accented properly, that we speak with emotion in our voices in our mother tongue, so we would also speak with emotion in any other language we communicate in.

On 11/4/2015 at 8:24 AM, xTinx said:

Is it the accent? The pronunciation? The sentence structure? For me it's the pronunciation.

You do need to be able to speak in the same way as the natives. I remember learning this when I started to learn about French.There is no way to say French words properly unless you are using their accent, or native pronunciation. I believe that learning the words is pretty easy, but learning how to say them correctly is another thing. 

I got really good at it thought because I don't let myself feel embarrassed when trying to pronounce the words like the natives do which was my problem in the beginning. I didn't want to sound like foreigners, but I love it now, and doing so helps with learning quicker. 

Scribendi: World-Class Editing and Proofreading
1 hour ago, hades_leae said:

You do need to be able to speak in the same way as the natives.

It actually differs from language to language.
It's true for Polish, Mandarin and (as you already said) French, because native speakers may have problems understanding you otherwise, but languages like Dutch, English and Spanish don't require you to have a perfect pronunciation, those people will understand you any way.

There might be some pattern.
Polish, Mandarin and French don't have nearly as many varieties of the same languages as Dutch, English and Spanish have.
In the Netherlands alone we have around 27 dialects, then add the amount of dialects in Belgium and Surinam to the mix, I don't think I need to talk about English and Spanish ey?
Because these 2 have far more dialects.

I think for me it's the accent. All the other aspects of learning a new language come easy to me, but when it comes to the accent, I actually get a lot of native speakers telling me that I sound 'funny' or that they can tell from a mile away that I am not a native speaker. That really puts me off. When I learn a language I want to become fluent in it and speak it in a perfect accent. 

The accent for me is really the last thing I worry about. The hardest thing honestly is the very basic words and structure of the language, everything else will come easily after that for me once you get a hang of the very basics. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Fay Lorra
      I know how we use standard learning apps to learn a foreign language but another way to learn maybe by watching foreign-language videos with subtitles, rather than without them.
      You can learn languages by reading books or taking classes but this doesn’t give you much exposure to the language. This means that your progress will be slow and frustrating since you won’t be able to use what you learned in real life situations very quickly.  Watching foreign-language TV shows with subtitles allows you to get a lot of exposure to the target language without having to spend too much time studying it on your own. It gives me more confidence when I speak because I know that I have already seen how different words are used in context. However, finding good subtitle files for online video content can be difficult (and often illegal). 
      SubtitleBee has an excellent subtitling service that auto generates high quality subtitle files for all kinds of videos on YouTube or personal uploads! It also has over 100 different languages for subtitles and translations so everyone can find something they like. I use this online subtitling service myself and wanted to share this with everyone. It has a free trial so others can try it out but I have found the paid description more useful as well
    • By Ejiro
      Hi all,
      I am a PhD student at the School of Education at Durham University in the UK. I am researching polyglots’ beliefs about language learning, and the strategies that they adopt to successfully learn them. I have a short questionnaire that should take no longer than 20 minutes to complete. If you are 18 or older and speak at least 4 languages at B1 level (CEFR) I would appreciate your help. The link is below. All responses are anonymous.
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/polyglotsurvey
      Many thanks!
    • By 0xFLOW
      0xFLOW is a start-up company based in South Korea that is beta-testing a language-learning program that uses the latest YouTube content (such as movies, dramas, and other YouTube videos) as a fun and effective way to learn Korean.

Users can create their own content that they want to learn from (or we can make it for them!) to practice different concepts such as vocabulary that is generated using AI technology, grammar using content in the YouTube video, sentences and translations that can be created into custom language-learning printed worksheets - or they can learn by using the text and translations mode.

This program is ideal for Korean language-learners of every level, whether they are newly beginning their Korean-learning journey or just looking to refresh their memory.

This program is free to use - just register at: https://flow.xflow.academy/Account/Login and you're good to go! Content in other languages is a development that is currently in progress, so we would appreciate any and all feedback from all users. Feel free to contact us at [email protected] (email) or on Kakao @zeroxflow with any questions or inquiries.
      Thank you and happy learning!
      The 0xFLOW Team

• By JoeZamm
      Unlock the world 
      Hello! We are a dedicated language learning discord supplying you with a place to communicate with natives and live out your polyglot dreams. We also need teachers too!
      Features:
      Self assignable roles Positive learning environments where everyone is there to help you A dedicated staff team to make sure everything is running smoothly :notes: Music bots to show off and listen to your favourite music. Weekly classes for language of all types of learners (beginner, intermediate and expert) Resources being provided to you in every language so the knowledge is at your doorstep We hope to see you soon! If you would like to come and see it for yourself, come and join our safe growing server here: https://discord.gg/4v588d6
      Thank you for your time
    • By Polyglot
      Hey guys,
      My name is Nana and I am new to this community!
      I am fluent in 4 languages (Armenian, Russian, English, French) and currently I am working on my 5th one (Spanish)! Most of them I learned in school when I was young and now I am learning Spanish in college. But I know that for a lot of people the foreign language curriculum is not useful and mnay people cannot learn languages efficiently in school setting. So, I was wondering if you guys have personal experience you could share and tell everyone what works for you best. And, of course, any tips or recommendations (online apps or programs or youtube channels) or anything that helped you become one step closer to mastering a language is more than welcome!