Linguaholic

Have you been to France?

anna3101

Hello,

A question to learners of French here: have you already travelled to France?

If so, what cities / sights you did you like the most?

Let's share our experiences!

Ania

I have never been to France, but it is a dream of mine to go. Most of my family from my mothers side are from France, and I grew up listening to stories and dreaming of visiting there. 

I would love to see Paris of course, but I also am very interested in visiting the rest of France and soaking up the culture there. I'm very interested in hearing about other people's experiences in France, so please do share! 

That's a wonderful dream, Carlyarn23! I love Paris and I'd recommend it highly, even though I know some people who absolutely hated going there :) I haven't been much around France because of my fascination with Paris: whenever I manage to gather enough money, I go to Paris, yet again... instead of seeing some other parts of France.

I've been to Paris about 8 or 9 times I think. I love it there! It's quite dirty, yes. People are arrogant - also true. Service is dreadful. Prices are far from cheap. And sanitation in some cafes can scare even the bravest travellers :) And food quality is also not top notch everywhere - if you want to eat good stuff but don't want to pay a fortune, you need to prepare in advance and find the places that are visited by the locals, not tourists.

But all of the above doesn't matter because Notre Dame is AMAZING. You can just sit there and be fascinated. Sainte-Chapelle is also breath-taking. If you enjoy impressionist paintings like I do, you'll like Musee d'Orsay. Parc Monceau is small and cute. Going on a small cruise on the Seine, in the evening, mmm. The cemetries are real works of art. Versailles is quite close to Paris and it is miraculously beautiful. But the best thing of all is just walking around, sipping coffee in small cafes, watching people go by. And listening to great French songs. I have a huge collection of songs about Paris, always makes me happy I'm not the only person who likes the city :)

• 2 weeks later...

I loved France when I went. It had beautiful countryside and was very pretty to just stare at. I want to learn the language even though it can be confusing. I love it and would love to go back to France. If I stayed in France, I would have learned the language even more. I was only there for about 1-1 1/2 weeks. I did learn some things about being courteous and being respectful to people. You also have to watch your back. People pick pocket you left and right so be sure to have your stuff secure and don't let it out of your hands or backpack. Also make sure to keep bags in front and in your sight. People will try to distract you, but you have to keep going. I loved it none the less. I would recommend the coast as it is less crowded and probably less expensive. I loved D-Day beaches and it helped me understand what people have to go through who aren't in Paris. Just go and learn the language. It's a blast! 

• 4 months later...

I've visited France more times than I can remember. My parents have lived there for a few month, and I've been going there on holidays since I was born. I absolutely love all the small villages, they seem so peaceful.

For the past 2 years I've spent my summers at Disney because my sister and I had Disney Dream annual passports. I personally loved shopping there, plus the weather was usually really nice (in summer, at least). I must've been lucky, too, because I've only met nice French people so far B)

One snack you should totally try are madeleines, they're the best cakes you'll ever have. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to France when I was a child but it was only a short few days trip. It was nice in that it was winter when I went so there was snow around. We took a bus ride between Calais and Paris and from what I remember it was pleasant. We stopped off a few times but it was mostly just driving through really. I'd like to return one day and see more of it.

I'm American, married to a French man, and living these past 3 years in Normandy, France. I love living here and have settled here for life. The people I have met have all been very friendly, kind, and helpful. The stereotypes that many of my American friends/family have about the French I have found to be completely untrue. Like anywhere in the world, there are nice people and not so nice people. French people respond very favorably if you at least attempt to speak to them in their native tongue when visiting here. I believe their attitudes change when tourists arrive and expect everyone here to speak English and are rude to the people here. You really do get back what you put out. If you try to communicate, even if it's very bad French, people will help and be kind. If you're rude, they'll be rude. It's all about attitude. Except waiters in Paris. LOL. They will pretty much remain arrogant no matter what. Waiters are paid a very good wage here, unlike in America. So really, they don't have to bend over backwards for those they serve. They are paid well regardless. Going to restaurants the locals go to is very good advice. And each area of the country has their own specialties. That is definitely something to watch for. Oh, and never leave a tip as that is already factored into the bill in restaurants. If a server goes above and beyond, you can leave 50 centimes (cents) or maybe a euro extra on the table. Any more than that is just not done here. France is a beautiful country, with lovely scenery, quaint villages, and different climates. Paris is an amazing city, built in different districts called 'arrondissements' which are set up like smaller neighborhoods. The architecture is magnificent. You haven't lived until you have spent time in the massive and ancient cathedrals, or walking in the Louvres or other museums!  Truly, there is so much to see and love in Paris and all over the country! Whenever you get the opportunity to return to France, I highly recommend that you do so. If you can, you should see it through the eyes of a native though. It will broaden your perspective and help you to see this lovely country the way I think it is meant to be seen. Oh yes, and the outside markets in just about every village, town, or city - to die for! Fresh produce, seafood, cheese, meats, dairy, you name it! Not to be missed, I tell you! 

I haven't been there yet but I've always wanted to go since I was a child. Hopefully things would have cooled down by the time I get there. *Fingers crossed*