Linguaholic

Why Filipinos are so good in singing? Is it correlated with language?

Mameha

Watching youtube videos i noticed that in Philippines there are many talented people who sing really well! For exemple in The voice of Philippines rarely there are people who can't really sing. And i saw that there are a lot of Karaoke machines in many malls where a lot of people sing extremely well. A guy in a comment said that it can be correlated to the fact that Filipino is a melodic language, is it correct? Do they have an inclination in singing for this reason?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I wouldn't consider Filipino to be a melodic language. I think it's more related to the culture than our language. Filipinos are very social and always include singing in celebrations so there is more opportunities to practice the skill. We are also more outgoing than others so it looks like more Filipinos are good singers when the truth is, there are a lot of good singers in other countries but they just don't flaunt it a much. And maybe it is in the Filipino blood to be more talented in singing? ;)

Not all Filipinos can sing, and I am one of them.  I never had any inclination to sing with the karaoke, out of my introverted nature.  However, I'm only speaking for myself.  As far as I know, Filipinos are very sociable, just as the other poster mentioned.  It is in their blood and culture to join and take part in merrymaking.  I also agree that Filipino isn't necessarily a melodic language, though I find Filipino translations of famous foreign songs.

• 3 weeks later...

The Filipino language is not melodic in itself. It's just the people are in high spirits, and can lighten up even in adversity. It may be the reason why most Filipinos love to sing. Singing can uplift us and those around is, which is why there is never a fiesta or a big celebration without music. It could take form in karaoke, videoke, or well-wishers singing for a bride and groom in a wedding. Also, even in ordinary days, people go to videoke after work or when getting together with friends. Music is just around us because we love to sing.

• 1 year later...

I really like singing, and been singing wherever i go since i was a kid. BUT, i'm terrible at singing, i think my vocal structure have something to do with it though since i can't really hit high notes and that's where it all goes wrong :D

Most of the time i sing with a flat note, i'm the only one in the family who can't sing well. :(