Linguaholic

Spelling bees

Lingua Franca

I once participated in a spelling bee in grade school.  The difficult round was very challenging, as I heard the words for the first time.  I learned the importance of correct and accurate spelling to the point that I will always spell out words as far as practicable.  Whenever you see a misspelled word, it just feels like eyesore.  Spelling bees are not only limited to the US, but also prevalent in most English-speaking countries.

I once participated in a spelling bee in grade school.  The difficult round was very challenging, as I heard the words for the first time.  I learned the importance of correct and accurate spelling to the point that I will always spell out words as far as practicable.  Whenever you see a misspelled word, it just feels like eyesore.  Spelling bees are not only limited to the US, but also prevalent in most English-speaking countries.

But I wonder if they are also in countries that aren't English-speaking.   I know that English is spoken in many countries outside of the US.  However, do any non-English speaking countries also hold spelling bees or any other language contests?

It sure is! But I don't think it's limited in the US. In my elementary school, spelling is part of our English class. Our spelling words were the usually misspelled words, some borrowed words from French and German, etc. It was really good practice and we were taught etymology of it, too. We would have spelling "homework" too which involved using the word in a sentence, etc. I think it's a good exercise for students to practice spelling this way.

If I remember right, we had spelling lessons like that in school as well. While it was really hard at first, it really helped me spell things in English correctly, and memorize correct spelling. Our lessons involved multiple choice questions with only one correct answer out of 4 choices. 3 of which were spelled incorrectly.

If I remember right, we had spelling lessons like that in school as well. While it was really hard at first, it really helped me spell things in English correctly, and memorize correct spelling. Our lessons involved multiple choice questions with only one correct answer out of 4 choices. 3 of which were spelled incorrectly.

A spelling bees is when you are in front of an audience and you are given certain words to spell out loud. If a contestant misspells the word they are eliminated from the competition until only one person is left. That person will win the spelling bee.  

A spelling bees is when you are in front of an audience and you are given certain words to spell out loud. If a contestant misspells the word they are eliminated from the competition until only one person is left. That person will win the spelling bee.  

Ah, my mistake then. Never had any of those in school, but it sounds like very good exercise nevertheless. And fun, as well. :D