Linguaholic

Languages vs mathematics

anna3101

For me Language Arts, has always been slightly difficult for me, even I'm trying to learn/currently studying different languages, I can easily put two words together as this word being that in another language, but what I can't get, is the whole "subject, verbs, predicates, etc., etc., etc." Sadly that's the part that I don't get... But then again that's me... So yeah... 

• 4 months later...

Just by calling it a stereotype, we already know it to be untrue. I personally think I am well-rounded in both the humanities and the sciences, but within each field, there are disciplines I am better at than others. For example, you will never catch me taking a history course in college, but if the credits allowed for it, I would love to take all the language courses in our East Asian department. Similarly, I loved biology enough to major in it in high school, but once I got to college and took Gen Chem I, that was enough to deter me away from the pre-med track. Rather than strictly being left brained or right brained, I believe we are all on a spectrum of the two extremes.

I'm pretty much balanced in regads of academic subjects. I can't decide which is my strongest subject but at least I can manage everything decent enough, from mathematics to history. If I have to think about the subject I struggled most, that will be definitely grammar. Sometimes I can't grasp the logic behind some grammar notions except for mathematics, which always makes sense. I'm good at memorizing vocabulary, but yeah, the grammar is always something that stop me to completely master a language.

Well, I can't speak for others but I am an exception to that generalization. I am not only good at both languages and mathematics, but I thoroughly enjoy studying them both. I think a lot of people just prefer one over the other and so they don't ever take the time to learn more and develop their understanding of the other and therefore they say that they are not good at it, when in actual fact, they could learn it and become good if they were truly interested in it. 

@anna3101....I have to say that theory certainly applies to me and a lot of people around me! I have always been more of a languages person, not so much a Science and Maths person. At school, I could tolerate Science but I hated Maths, which is unfortunate because my dad was a secondary school Maths teacher, and a very good one for that matter. He tried to help me but I just could never develop an interest in the subject. I also observed that the same thing applied to most of my peers. In my experience, people who can master both are very, very rare and hey, I say kudos to them :) 

i used to think that I'm not good at mathematics, as it is one of my weakest subjects in my elementary years.  However, when I took the government service eligibility examinations around 2 years ago, I was required to have a certain degree of proficiency in the languages and sciences.  It's been a while since I haven't reviewed my English and Mathematics subjects, but now that i am a government service eligible, I had to review my subjects again because that is the requirement for us.  To help me, I had to refresh my memory of English and Mathematics once more.  In fact, I attended a tutorial class in both subjects in order to refresh my mind. In high school, I was good at both subjects, but I was better in the languages.  However, I still have certain weaknesses in both the humanities and the sciences, as I'm not very good in appreciating literature, and I dislike geometry, trigonometry, and especially calculus.