Linguaholic

ASL

czarina84

When I was younger, I learned a few different signs in ASL.  I still remember most of the alphabet (I have to look up B and F again).  I also remember "Thank You."  I'm trying to get back into it.  I was wondering, why is it called American Sign Language? Are the gestures different in other countries?

I'm not very familiar with sign language, even though I do find it very fascinating. Please pardon my ignorance, but could it be called American Sign Language because it's unique to America? I was recently a little surprised to find that sign language isn't universal, after all. I always thought that it was LOL 

I'm not very familiar with sign language, even though I do find it very fascinating. Please pardon my ignorance, but could it be called American Sign Language because it's unique to America? I was recently a little surprised to find that sign language isn't universal, after all. I always thought that it was LOL 

I was actually thinking along those lines, as well.  That's the problem with wording--it can mean so many different things.  I also thought it was universal.  After all, I don't think deafness is unique to America.  How do hard-of-hearing people get along in your country?  Lip reading?  Writing?

Sorry, what I meant was that that specific version of sign language, as in ASL, is unique to America. I guess this supports the fact that sign language is indeed different from country to country. Ever since I found out that it's different in each country, I'vewondered how similar it was, surely there must be some similarities? People in my country also have sign language. So yes, they use a combination of sign language, lip reading and writing.

We had a pretty similar discussion in another thread here on linguaholic.com. Please have a look here:

So if you would like to talk about ASL being Universal/international or not, please do that there. 

Thank you for your understanding.

regards

L

We had a pretty similar discussion in another thread here on linguaholic.com. Please have a look here:

So if you would like to talk about ASL being Universal/international or not, please do that there. 

Thank you for your understanding.

regards

L

Thank you very much.  I didn't see this thread before.  It will be very helpful.  I appreciate it.  I will read the other thread but not post anything there.  My apologies. 

Right now I am trying to teach my cousin's baby how to do baby sign language. I think it is very handy and helpful. When I was a kid we were taught the alphabet in ASL and I always thought that it was fun and very useful.

Right now I am trying to teach my cousin's baby how to do baby sign language. I think it is very handy and helpful. When I was a kid we were taught the alphabet in ASL and I always thought that it was fun and very useful.

I've heard lot's of parents do this because babies can use it before they are able to converse. Has that been your experience?