Linguaholic

Words for beautiful in Spanish

EsperantoOnline

Sometimes I wonder about how poetic and beautiful a language can be. What I've known though is that romance languages usually take the first place because of their poetically meaningful and nice sounding words. My favorite words in spanish would be these:  

1) Gallardía - gallantry - When someone is courteous and his/her acts show courage and in general, an elegant way of acting. No wonder why there is a luxury Italian car referenced as "Gallardo". 

2) Efímero - ephemeral. This word does have an english equivalent, however, it seems to be even more poetic in Spanish because it's mostly used in literary works.

3) Ensueño - dream-like.  It's used mainly as a very positive expression where you talk about something you dream of but is quite difficult to achieve. Nonetheless every time you dream about  it, that thing is pleasurable an "ensueño". It's also used to describe something that is beautiful and is found in Spanish expressions such as "fiesta de ensueño, boda de ensueño, casa de ensueño" etc... 

4) Fantasmagoria - phantasmagoria. This word does have a similar equivalent in English both in meaning and sound. In Spanish though the  "F" and "go" sound much stronger and adds even more personality to it.

5) Algarroba - Carob - while the real thing looks and smells quite funny its sound makes this a unique word. It has this characteristic double "rr" sound that is so difficult for us english speakers to pronounce and adds up a little flair to it.

If you happen to have more beautiful meaning or sounding Spanish words please add them! I guess any romance language word would be ok as well. 

I think "amor" is the most beautiful sounding word in Spanish for me. I love to hear how other people say love and express their love. When I first heard it it gave me a tingly feeling in my heart and in my soul. 

• 2 weeks later...

These words are sure magical! Somehow they also remind me of the late García Marquez (nobel prize in literature) if you have the chance to read some of his short stories go ahead, they are great. Amor is a beautiful word too, especially if an important someone whispers it to you: an attractive latino or a gorgeous dancing latina girl. :wink: 

5 hours ago, EsperantoOnline said:

These words are sure magical! Somehow they also remind me of the late García Marquez (nobel prize in literaure) if you have the chance to read some of his short stories go ahead, they are great. Amor is a beautiful word too, especially if an important someone whispers it to you: an attractive latino or a gorgeous dancing latina girl. :wink: 

Haha, in that case, I agree.

I have a speech impediment and I can't pronounce hard "R"s very well, so I'm not too fond of languages and words with them 

As far as Spanish goes, I like words which have that "th" sound like cabeza or Barcelona 

Agentzero, us native english speakers have a hard time pronouncing that hard R cause we don't get to pronounce it all in our native language. Does this happen in Serbian as well?  I think we all have this problem to a certain degree. :)

The "th" sound is almost exclusive to how they speak spanish in Spain. In other places, especially Latin American countries the "th" sound doesn't exist. The word cabeza would be pronounced more as cabe(s)a an s sounding word instead of cabe(th)a a d or th sounding word. 

5 hours ago, EsperantoOnline said:

Agentzero, us native english speakers have a hard time pronouncing that hard R cause we don't get to pronounce it all in our native language. Does this happen in Serbian as well?  I think we all have this problem to a certain degree. :)

The "th" sound is almost exclusive to how they speak spanish in Spain. In other places, especially Latin American countries the "th" sound doesn't exist. The word cabeza would be pronounced more as cabe(s)a an s sounding word instead of cabe(th)a a d or th sounding word. 

Hm, that's interesting, I didn't know about that difference between Spain's Spanish and the one spoken in Latin America. I was taught Spanish spoken in Span then I guess.

And no, this is not a problem in Serbian, because in Serbian there is a hard "R", but like I said I have a speech impediment and can't pronounce it very "hard". I tend to roll it, if you know what I mean. My "R" actually sounds a lot like "R"s they have in French, but I just don't like saying hard "R" in general. Hey, maybe that's why I was drawn to English from the early age.

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, LeesaJohnson said:

When we want to say, someone, that you are so pretty there we use "Bonita" word for pretty so the word "Bonita" sounds beautiful in Spanish.  

if you are advertising, at least make sure that the desired page loads in a reasonable time. It takes about 5-10 seconds to open the specific website that you linked to. Google will not like that :=) Advertising is only allowed in the Promote your language business section. So stop doing it in here. thank you.

My favorite word in Spanish has always been querida, which unfortunately I don't think means something nice as from what I understand it is a term for a mistress. Still, I find that the Spanish word itself is beautiful and I see it as something negative starting to sound like a positive when spoken using a Spanish word. I always find it interesting when negative connotations sound beautiful in certain languages so this one in particular appealed to me apart from just sounding good all on its own. 

18 hours ago, Baburra said:

My favorite word in Spanish has always been querida, which unfortunately I don't think means something nice as from what I understand it is a term for a mistress. Still, I find that the Spanish word itself is beautiful and I see it as something negative starting to sound like a positive when spoken using a Spanish word. I always find it interesting when negative connotations sound beautiful in certain languages so this one in particular appealed to me apart from just sounding good all on its own. 

Well, querida is more like when you call somebody your beloved, mostly girls, for example "Querida! tiempo sin verte", that might be an example, mistress is not the real meaning of the word though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've always loved to use the word "etéreo" meaning ethereal in English. It's used to describe something so beautiful that is seemingly so delicate, untouchable, or abstract. I picked it up from studying spirituality, where it is almost exclusively used to refer to "ethereal energy", meaning energy that the naked human eye cannot see or feel, unless trained otherwise. 

• 1 year later...