Linguaholic

Did you learn alone or with other students?

A0130

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I've done a combination of both.  I studied Spanish by correspondence, then used Rosetta Stone.  WHen I went to SPain, I studied in a class with other students.

The Correspondence course would have been OK, but without audio there was no way to know if our pronunciation was proper or not.  Rosetta Stone is great because it encompasses all aspects of langauge, and has sessions with tutors to further improve.  The class would have been great, but it was a beginner class and I was intermediate (There was only beginner and advanced) so it was too easy for me.  Also, students who didn't really try held the class up.  Grrr!

I learned both French and Spanish in school. I have tried to study both at home during brief periods of my life, but found it difficult without the ongoing interaction of a classroom. I'm hoping to go back to independent study to improve my Spanish.

I was in a class with around 30 students.  It was a pretty big class for just one teacher.  I didn't mind having other students to learn a new language since you could always ask them for help if you need.  The teacher was busy most of the time, so we had to rely on each other sometimes.

I learned Spanish and am currently learning French with students. I feel like a one on one experience or video software would be more intimate and convenient. The perks of learning with students is that you all can learn and grow together. Learning a language isn't so hard when others are visibly having a hard time too. It's good motivation.

I am learning German right now using the internet and Rosetta stone. So, yeah essentially alone.

On the other hand, I learnt English in school with other students. I personally think that the latter is stimulating as far as learning the language goes.

I learned Spanish in classroom settings.  I began in high school and continued in college, where I studied a lot of literature in addition to some advanced language study courses. 

I also did a lot of studying on my own.  With this independent study, I increased my vocabulary and learned idioms and expressions.  I also immersed myself with Spanish language radio, television and movies and I did as much reading as I could.  I was motivated and wanted to learn the language so I took every possible waking hour to be immersed. 

I studied German in college. I didn't progress as far, partly because of the demands of my other coursework.  So my learning was mainly in the classroom although I did live in the German language dorm for a semester and had a chance to practice with other students. 

I attend classes in learning new language. I also study alone. I use internet in learning. I thing it's both helpful in becoming fluent in a particular language. In learning with other students it gives you a chance to interact with other people. You can practice what you are learning.

I learnt english entirely on my own!  I never took a class or a course with other people.  I learnt english online, I used Yahoo! chat a lot for that when I was just starting to learn the language.  I used to sit there just looking at what the people typed in the main chat. 

I also listened to what the people said on the microphone.  After that I started contacting people from english speaking countries :)  So yeah, I had a lot pen pals :)  I learnt most of my english that way.  The whole process way very natural!  I don't know how or why I started learning english, I was just 16 years old and it just happened that way!

As I am a visual learner, I preferr to study alone. I tried to study in groups, however this did not work out well for me as group study is usually based on "oral communication". I generally really need to write stuff down... nobody can really help me with that I guess:)

I've always studied in a group - first the usual class, from forst grade up to highs school, we took all classes together. And later, in a smaller group I studies English for a bit. My preparation for the French DELF exams was also held in a group.

I could say I studied on my own by writing, blogging, and reading.

As I am a visual learner, I preferr to study alone. I tried to study in groups, however this did not work out well for me as group study is usually based on "oral communication". I generally really need to write stuff down... nobody can really help me with that I guess:)

I a pretty much the same. I always prefer to write than to learn it orally. And yeah, only you can help yourself in writing stuff  down.

I have learned English and French at school and Russian and German alone at home with books I bought at Amazon. When I started progressing I got a Russian teacher that gave me private lessons and with the German I spoke with a friend on the phone and I visited Germany a few times. Spanish is pretty similar to Portuguese, so funny enough I learned it by reading books.

You must spend some study time alone to learn a new language. Studying with others is also important. I learned to speak French fluently the year I lived in Paris with a roommate who was from Bulgaria. The only language we had in common was French. I believe a new language can be learned best when you have no other choice but to use it.

I like to study alone, but studying with others is more helpful. Your friends will spot the mistakes that you fail to notice. Especially when you're learning a new language, interactions with others is very important.

English is a compulsary subject in Swedish schools. However, I took my education to the inside of my home and started learning English by myself. Even though I went to school with my classmates, the English they were teaching, I had already taught myself - mostly through interest and American TV-shows.

With other students. Spanish is required in middle and high school so we took it in a class with around 20 other students. I liked it because I was able to ask them for help if I needed it, plus we had experience with conversations this way.

I was in a class of maybe 20 or so people when I decided to become proficient in Spanish. Then, I moved to working alone and with my tutors. What did you do that worked for you?

For me, I would normally attend a class first so that my learning will be a bit structured and then when I have learned the basics already, that's when I will endeavor to study alone during my own time.  There has to be some sort of diligence however, when you study alone.  You really have to push yourself.

I have never really studied in a larger group of students, except for French classes in school but I am not counting that since I didn't really learn much. I have studied on my own and had one-on-one lessons with native speaking teachers. When I was living in Taiwan I liked to do language exchanges with native speakers who wanted to learn English.

But I have never studied a language in a larger group of students. I tend to learn best on my own.

What do you mean by "visually"? Reading and writing or even something like watching movies (which is good for associate words with situations)?