Linguaholic

How do you like the new layout/design of linguaholic.com?

linguaholic

How do you like the new theme/design of linguaholic.com?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the new theme of linguaholic.com?

• Awesome. Much cooler than before!
    • Its nice, not crazy about it though.
    • Its OK. About the same as before.
    • It looks less professional then before.
    • I preferred the older version
    • I don't like it.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

When I saw it this afternoon, I was like "OMG, Linguaholic got hacked".
I actually think this theme fits more for websites specific to Mandarin Chinese, rather than a more generic language website.

I wondered what was different with the forum. :)

There was something but I guess I already got used to the new version and new colours that I failed to acknowledge that it is changed. Funny that that happened.

I love the whole aspect of nature, and the red is striking and really depicts the mystery hidden behind the image. It invokes some deeper thinking, once you start looking at it for some time.

Great job!

Thanks for all the replies. Yea, the theme is very asian, that's true. I just really wanted to get something else than the standard theme. I might change it to something more neutral in the future. It's kinda unique, though, isn't it ? :=)

2 hours ago, Blaveloper said:

When I saw it this afternoon, I was like "OMG, Linguaholic got hacked".
I actually think this theme fits more for websites specific to Mandarin Chinese, rather than a more generic language website.

yea you are right Blaveloper. I might have to get rid of the character for horse at least (in the header on top). 

Red and yellow combination can come off as aggressive sometimes, but then again, this layout is better than the blue one which kinda felt like a default theme or something. I like this one better, but I still feel like the color scheme could be a little softer.

The sky - she's bleeding!

But seriously, I like it. It would be cool to change it thematically from time to time, like major websites do for different holidays and such, only we could do it for different languages or countries. Just an idea; might be too much of a hassle.

2 hours ago, Wanda Kaishin said:

The sky - she's bleeding!

But seriously, I like it. It would be cool to change it thematically from time to time, like major websites do for different holidays and such, only we could do it for different languages or countries. Just an idea; might be too much of a hassle.

That's a great idea Wanda. In fact I was thinking about that as well. So maybe next year we can change to some other 'language theme'

I like the new layout. It's sharper and more modern.

But I think there's a bug with this layout on Google Chrome. I can't post anything on the forum when I'm using Chrome. I had to switch over to Windows Edge to make this post. When I try to post something on Chrome, it just gives me the option to post an attachment. I can't see any textboxes.

I took a screenshot of the problem. I don't know if it's just me or if it's Chrome or if it's a bug in the system.

u7GGQJh.png

I had the same problem as well, Maya. But it just happens the first time you are trying to use Google Chrome. Reset Google Chrome (delete cookies and so on ) and this should just work fine. I am using Google Chrome right now. 

regards

L

Thanks linguaholic! That solved the problem! I was getting worried because I signed on last night as you were posting this post. I thought things were still being upgraded so I didn't think too much about the "bug". But today I saw that everyone else could post and I still couldn't so I knew it had to be a problem with Chrome. It's working fine now that I cleared my cache :)

14 minutes ago, Miya said:

Thanks linguaholic! That solved the problem! I was getting worried because I signed on last night as you were posting this post. I thought things were still being upgraded so I didn't think too much about the "bug". But today I saw that everyone else could post and I still couldn't so I knew it had to be a problem with Chrome. It's working fine now that I cleared my cache :)

I am happy to hear that. You have to reupload your avatar though :=)

Purely from an aesthetic stand point, I personally LOVE it :) It's very eye catching and 'fresh', plus it's still very easy to navigate. I find that each time Linguaholic gives the site a facelift, it's always an improvement on the last. So for me, it just keeps getting better!

20 hours ago, linguaholic said:

Thanks for all the replies. Yea, the theme is very asian, that's true. I just really wanted to get something else than the standard theme. I might change it to something more neutral in the future. It's kinda unique, though, isn't it ? :=)

Yes, something more neutral would strike more balanced. But it is more organized to look at and yes, tidy. It is easy on the eyes as you can see what you have to vote for right away. Then with just a click, you can readily access contents that you have not yet read. There are more features too that can make access easier and better for users. :)

Looks nice, I was startled for a minute when I logged in, it is linguaholic at all? :) On the side note, is the Asian kind of decorations a little bit exclusive for other cultures and languages, or not?

On 24/11/2015, 4:12:46, Miya said:

Haha! I had the same exact feeling. I thought it was also a bug and didn't think much of it. But with everyone seemingly active on board, I figured it only affected me. I was about to message Admin to ask if there's something I need to do since I noticed that the problem only occurred a little after the changes in the site. Curiously, sending a message also won't work because the text box just wouldn't appear, haha.. Luckily, I came across this specific thread and saw the 'clearing cache' advice. I was about to download Chrome as it was the browser mentioned in the post, but before downloading I figured to follow the advice first, and voila! SO, haappy I can post now even if I'm using Firefox. Yay!

Anyway, this is a tad late, but I too like the new theme. Though I agree with those that it has leanings towards a Chinese Mandarin vibe. Still, I like it.

Actually not everything should be attributed to the new theme...there was also a major IPB forum software udpate recently and this update gave us a few new features and enhancements, which are not depending on any theme. And it also slighty affects the look of the layout/design. But as far as the banner on top and the color scheme (red/yellow) goes, it definitely has to do with the new custom theme, that's right.