Linguaholic

Most common names in your country

Mameha

Today i was talking to my brother about some things about culture and languages in general and i was wondering about names, What are the most common female/male ones in your country? And have they a particular origin or meaning in your language? I know, i'm curious, but i find it really interesting :) 

Ops! I forgot to put some names of my country:

Most common female: Giulia, Federica, Alessia, Chiara, Giorgia, Francesca, Elena, Sara, Martina, Valentina, Valeria

Most common male: Mario, Cristiano, Alessio, Andrea,  Alessandro, Marco, Michele, Giuseppe, Francesco, Antonio, Luca, Matteo, Giovanni

Most of the most common male names are apostle's names. 

The name "Giulia" is what i think the most famous and its origin is from the "gens Iulia", an ancient family in the Roman period.

Hi Mameha

Some common names in Switzerland are:  

Male: Peter, Daniel, Matthias, Stefan, Hans, Kevin, Tobias, Michael, Christoph

Female: Stefanie, Daniela, Valérie, Gabriela, Christine, Marianne, Julia, 

Thanks for the thread, Mameha! I'm also very interested to hear about typical names. And the "pet" versions, I've heard that you have those in Italian too, right? Like Alessandro - Sandro? What are some other "smaller" versions of the popular names?

Here's a list of the names I hear most often here in Poland. It's not an official list of "this year's most popular names given to babies" - that changes each year, just my subjective feeling of what names are most prevalent. So I'm taking into consideration all ages here. I'll put diminutives in the brackets. In actual fact, each name has many versions but there is usually the most "standard" way to make the name shorter, and that's what I'll do here :)

Female: Katarzyna (Kasia), Maria (Marysia), Małgorzata (Gosia), Anna (Ania), Magdalena (Madzia), Ewa, Izabela (Iza), Joanna (Asia)

Male: Piotr (Piotruś), Jan (Jaś), Wojciech (Wojtek), Łukasz, Adam (Adaś), Krzysztof (Krzysiek), Mariusz (Marek), Kamil

As for Russian names, here's the list of those that I see most often:

Female: Tatiana (Tanya), Irina (Ira), Elena (Lena), Natalia (Natasha), Maria (Masha), Ekaterina (Katya), Olga (Olya), Anna (Anya), Svetlana (Sveta), Ksenia (Ksiusha)

Male: Sergey (Serezha), Andrey (Andrusha), Aleksandr (Sasha), Igor, Mikhail (Misha), Oleg, Anton, Dmitriy (Dima), Piotr (Petya), Pavel (Pasha)

I've never looked into the meanings, except for my own name and the names of family and friends :) But generally speaking, those "tradionally" Russian names are not as popular as some others whose origin is Jewish or North or Greek. As for Polish, as you can see some of those are also religion related, which does not come as a surprise for me. Poland is still quite a religious country.

1 hour ago, anna3101 said:

Thanks for the thread, Mameha! I'm also very interested to hear about typical names. And the "pet" versions, I've heard that you have those in Italian too, right? Like Alessandro - Sandro? What are some other "smaller" versions of the popular names?

Here's a list of the names I hear most often here in Poland. It's not an official list of "this year's most popular names given to babies" - that changes each year, just my subjective feeling of what names are most prevalent. So I'm taking into consideration all ages here. I'll put diminutives in the brackets. In actual fact, each name has many versions but there is usually the most "standard" way to make the name shorter, and that's what I'll do here

Female: Katarzyna (Kasia), Maria (Marysia), Małgorzata (Gosia), Anna (Ania), Magdalena (Madzia), Ewa, Izabela (Iza), Joanna (Asia)

Male: Piotr (Piotruś), Jan (Jaś), Wojciech (Wojtek), Łukasz, Adam (Adaś), Krzysztof (Krzysiek), Mariusz (Marek), Kamil

As for Russian names, here's the list of those that I see most often:

Female: Tatiana (Tanya), Irina (Ira), Elena (Lena), Natalia (Natasha), Maria (Masha), Ekaterina (Katya), Olga (Olya), Anna (Anya), Svetlana (Sveta), Ksenia (Ksiusha)

Male: Sergey (Serezha), Andrey (Andrusha), Aleksandr (Sasha), Igor, Mikhail (Misha), Oleg, Anton, Dmitriy (Dima), Piotr (Petya), Pavel (Pasha)

I've never looked into the meanings, except for my own name and the names of family and friends But generally speaking, those "tradionally" Russian names are not as popular as some others whose origin is Jewish or North or Greek. As for Polish, as you can see some of those are also religion related, which does not come as a surprise for me. Poland is still quite a religious country.

Yeah, there are some abbreviation of some names like Alessandro-Sandro. It works even for the female version Alessandra-Sandra. Generally female names ends with A and male ones with O but obviously there are some exeptions. Other exemples... the name Fernando sometime become Nando (this is not so common), Filippo - Pippo, Matteo-Teo, Luigi-Gigi. About female ones: Roberta-Berta, Filomena-Mena, Emanuela-Manuela, Marinella-Marina.

The are even some composed names that are the result of a fusion between 2 names or just are a derivation of a same name:

Male: Pierpaolo (Piero+Paolo), Pierfrancesco (Piero+Francesco), Pierluigi (Piero+Luigi), Gianluca (Gianni+Luca), Gianpaolo (Gianni+Paolo)

Female: Arianna (Anna), Marianna (Maria+Anna), Annalaura (Anna+Laura), Annamaria (Anna+Maria), Rosanna (Rosa+Anna), Susanna, Elisabetta (derivated from Elisa)

Male: Jan, Piet (pronounced as "peet"), Klaas, Bart, Roel (pronounced as "rule"), Gijs (pronounced as "ghice"), Pepijn (pronounced as "pepine").
Female: Jetty, Marjam, Nelly, Angelique.

It was harder to find any common female names actually, because these tend to vary more than male names here.
As you can see, male names are often very short and easy to remember, but often come with a Netherlands-only pronunciation.
Female names on the other hand are generally longer and more internationally known.

Most common names (in 2015) in my country, Serbia are:

Female:

1. Маrija

2. Мilica

3. Аna

4. Јоvana

5. Sоfija

Male:

1. Luka

2. Stefan

3. Маrko

4. Nikola

5. Lazar

However, some of the most common names in my country from  1930 onward are pretty interesting, and they are being shown here according to the parts of Serbia they were given in - just follow the link in case you are interested: 

http://www.telegraf.rs/vesti/865393-marija-milica-jelena-najcesca-zenska-imena-u-srbiji-u-proteklih-70-godina-infografik

In Serbia most common names vary from decade to decade, In general terms i think these are the most common ones.

Male :

Aleksandar, Predrag, Nenad,Nikola, Luka, Novak( because of Djokovic), Lazar, Milan, MIloš...

And by years: 1931-1940 MILAN; 1941-1950 SLOBODAN; 1951-1960 DRAGAN;1961-1970 ZORAN;1971-1980 DEJAN;1981-1990 MARKO;1991-2000 NIKOLA;2001-2010 LUKA. I believe these are official statistical records.

Female :

Andjela, Teodora, Sara, Jelena, Jovana, Ivana, Ana.

15 minutes ago, djordje87 said:

In Serbia most common names vary from decade to decade, In general terms i think these are the most common ones.

Male :

Aleksandar, Predrag, Nenad,Nikola, Luka, Novak( because of Djokovic), Lazar, Milan, MIloš...

And by years: 1931-1940 MILAN; 1941-1950 SLOBODAN; 1951-1960 DRAGAN;1961-1970 ZORAN;1971-1980 DEJAN;1981-1990 MARKO;1991-2000 NIKOLA;2001-2010 LUKA. I believe these are official statistical records.

Female :

Andjela, Teodora, Sara, Jelena, Jovana, Ivana, Ana.

Novak because of Djokovic :=) Funny, indeed.

It varies here in America, but these are the names that I have seen most frequently:

Females:

Sarah, Kimberly, Jennifer, Jessica, Samantha, Katie, Cassie, Kelly, Amanda, Holly, Heather, Lauren, Laura, Allison, Amy, Anne, Angela, Mary.

Males:

John, James, Joseph, Robert, Ryan, Brian, William, Alex, Andrew, Tony, Timothy, Charles, Corey, Peter, Paul,  Fred, Al. 

Here in Bulgaria all womens names will end with a 'ya' or an 'a'. It's easy to define who you are talking too :) 

I'd say the common ones are:

Georgi - ( shortened to ) Gosho

Alexandar - Sasho 

Mariya

Irena

Ludmila

Rumen

It's a strange concept as original names aren't really used here - names by tradition are given and passed down through the generations so it repeats itself a lot and 99% of the time half of your friends have the same name as you. 

Well since I live in America I'm not sure how interesting the most common names are but either way here are the most common names for  males, females and unisex... So yeah... Now note there are 100 names each (atleast the male and female)... 

Female: Emma, Olivia, Sophia, Isabella, Ava, Mia, Emily, Abigail, Madison, Charlotte, Harper, Sofia, Avery, Elizabeth, Amelia, Evelyn, Ella, Chloe, Victoria, Aubrey,Grace, Zoey, Natalie, Addison, Lillian, Brooklyn, Lily, Hannah, Layla, Scarlett, Aria,, Zoe, Samantha, Anna, Leah, Audrey, Ariana, Allison, Savannah, Arianna, Camila, Penelope, Gabriella, Claire, Aaliyah, Sadie, Riley, Skylar, Nora, Sarah, Hailey, Kaylee, Paisley, Kennedy, Ellie, Peyton, Annabelle, Caroline, Madelyn, Serenity, Aubree, Lucy, Alexa, Alexis, Nevaeh, Stella, Violet
Genesis, Mackenzie, Bella, Autumn, Mila, Kylie, Maya, Piper, Alyssa, Taylor, Eleanor, Melanie, Naomi, Faith, Eva, Katherine, Lydia, Brianna, Julia, Ashley, Khloe, Madeline, Ruby, Sophie, Alexandra, London, Lauren, Gianna, Isabelle, Alice, Vivian, Hadley and Jasmine...

Male: Noah, Liam, Mason, Jacob, William, Ethan, Michael, Alexander, James, Daniel, Elijah, Benjamin, Logan, Aiden, Jayden, Matthew, Jackson, David, Lucas, Joseph, Anthony, Andrew, Samuel, Gabriel, Joshua, John, Carter, Luke, Dylan, Christopher, Isaac, Oliver, Henry, Sebastian, Caleb, Owen, Ryan, Nathan, Wyatt, Hunter, Jack, Christian, Landon, Jonathan, Levi, Jaxon, Julian, Isaiah, Eli, Aaron, Charles, Connor, Cameron, Thomas, Jordan, Jeremiah, Nicholas, Evan, Adrian, Gavin, Robert, Brayden, Grayson, Josiah, Colton, Austin, Angel, Jace, Dominic, Kevin, Brandon, Tyler, Parker, Ayden, Jason, Jose, Ian, Chase, Adam, Hudson, Nolan, Zachary, Easton, Blake, Jaxson, Cooper, Lincoln, Xavier, Bentley, Kayden, Carson, Brody, Asher, Nathaniel, Ryder, Justin, Leo, Juan, Luis and Camden

Unisex: Addison, Ashley, Ashton, Avery, Bailey, Cameron, Carson, Carter, Casey, Corey, Dakota, Devin, Drew, Emerson, Harley, Harper, Hayden, Hunter, Jaiden/Jayden, Jamie, Jaylen, Jesse, Jordan, Justice, Kai, Kelly, Kelsey, Kendall, Kennedy, Lane, Logan, Mackenzie, Madison, Marley, Mason, Morgan, Parker, Peyton, Piper, Quinn, Reagan, Reese, Riley, Rowan, Ryan, Shane, Shawn, Sydney, Taylor and Tristan

16 hours ago, DivaDee said:

Well since I live in America I'm not sure how interesting the most common names are

There's nothing to worry about, most active members I have seen here so far are Filipinos any way.
But in general this forum has a worldwide audience, so American names can be interesting too.

On 27.11.2015, 20:29:00, Mameha said:

Today i was talking to my brother about some things about culture and languages in general and i was wondering about names, What are the most common female/male ones in your country? And have they a particular origin or meaning in your language? I know, i'm curious, but i find it really interesting :) 

Ops! I forgot to put some names of my country:

Most common female: Giulia, Federica, Alessia, Chiara, Giorgia, Francesca, Elena, Sara, Martina, Valentina, Valeria

Most common male: Mario, Cristiano, Alessio, Andrea,  Alessandro, Marco, Michele, Giuseppe, Francesco, Antonio, Luca, Matteo, Giovanni

Most of the most common male names are apostle's names. 

The name "Giulia" is what i think the most famous and its origin is from the "gens Iulia", an ancient family in the Roman period.

Great Thread Mameha! Thank you.

A lot of Setswana names have meanings, and are also unisex. So here goes:

Girls:

• Neo (gift)
  • Boitumelo (joy)
  • Gaone (of God's will)
  • Bontle (beauty)
  • Mpho (gift) *
  • Kgomotso (comfort)
  • Basadi (women)

Boys:

• Tshepo (faith)*
  • Kgosi (chief)
  • Pule (rain)
  • Mpho (gift)*
  • Thapelo (prayer)
  • Thato (will)*
  • Tebogo  (thanks)*

*These names are unisex

@DivaDee....I love American type names including Hunter, Chase, Tailor, Tyler and Zac. 

On 12/1/2015, 5:12:37, lushlala said:

Girls:

• Neo (gift)
  • Boitumelo (joy)
  • Gaone (of God's will)
  • Bontle (beauty)
  • Mpho (gift) *
  • Kgomotso (comfort)
  • Basadi (women)

Boys:

• Tshepo (faith)*
  • Kgosi (chief)
  • Pule (rain)
  • Mpho (gift)*
  • Thapelo (prayer)
  • Thato (will)*
  • Tebogo  (thanks)*

*These names are unisex

@DivaDee....I love American type names including Hunter, Chase, Tailor, Tyler and Zac. 

Those are really exotic names that I have never hear of before. Thanks for sharing this. While I did not really have any connection with the Setswana language before, it really goes to show the huge differences between it and European languages.

On 01 December 2015 at 5:40:28 PM, anna3101 said:

Really like Bontle. There's something about it...

I like Bontle too, @anna3101 :) I also like my two nieces' names Ketso (will) and Toro, bit like Tara with o's LOL (dream). I like that they've very original and not common. In fact, i don't know anyone else who has those names. My first name is Mpho; I like it, but there's way too many of us, both men and women! -and also in neighbouring South Africa. I get whiplash from thinking someone's calling out to me, when i'm out  and about hehe :)

@Chris_A I know, right!? There's a big difference. But then you also get many English names like Angela (my middle name), David, Peter, Gary, Rose, Pamela, Diana, William etc People in Botswana like the typical British names, maybe because of our historical link with Great Britain IDK They are only now becoming more adventurous and going for more interesting names LOL

36 minutes ago, Chris_A said:

Those are really exotic names that I have never hear of before. Thanks for sharing this. While I did not really have any connection with the Setswana language before, it really goes to show the huge differences between it and European languages.

Edited by lushlala
adding another quote

I think adding to the list of common names in the US is Nicole, Jackie and Rachel  for females and Daniel, Anthony and Joseph for males.  
I always find it interesting how the most popular names have changed over the decades.  For example now a days some of the most popular baby names for females are Sophia, Emma and Olivia. 

Speaking of trends, I think with celebrities giving their children....shall we say, very interesting names, I also noticed this in different parts of the world too. Names like Channel/Chanel, Paris, Chantelle, Summer (although I always had a soft spot for this one!) started to grow in popularity a few years ago. But I'm glad to observe that those types of names seem to be on the wane now. There seems to be a general return to more traditional names like Joshua, Thomas, David etc

On 1/12/2015, 16:12:37, lushlala said:

Girls:

• Neo (gift)
  • Boitumelo (joy)
  • Gaone (of God's will)
  • Bontle (beauty)
  • Mpho (gift) *
  • Kgomotso (comfort)
  • Basadi (women)

Boys:

• Tshepo (faith)*
  • Kgosi (chief)
  • Pule (rain)
  • Mpho (gift)*
  • Thapelo (prayer)
  • Thato (will)*
  • Tebogo  (thanks)*

*These names are unisex

I've never heard these names, that's so interesting!

On 12/6/2015, 2:50:00, lushlala said:

@Chris_A I know, right!? There's a big difference. But then you also get many English names like Angela (my middle name), David, Peter, Gary, Rose, Pamela, Diana, William etc People in Botswana like the typical British names, maybe because of our historical link with Great Britain IDK They are only now becoming more adventurous and going for more interesting names LOL

I still find non British names in your country, way more interesting. They should stick with it and go the traditional route when naming children. :D

Aww @Chris_A......thanks, mate :) that's ever kind of you to say that. I guess the names are unique and always make for a good topic of discussion in a social setting with people who aren't from Botswana. People always seem keen to know if there are meanings to them and when they find out that they do mean something, they're usually even more fascinated. Definitely a good ice-breaker LOL

On 12/8/2015, 1:18:00, lushlala said:

Aww @Chris_A......thanks, mate :) that's ever kind of you to say that. I guess the names are unique and always make for a good topic of discussion in a social setting with people who aren't from Botswana. People always seem keen to know if there are meanings to them and when they find out that they do mean something, they're usually even more fascinated. Definitely a good ice-breaker LOL

That is for sure, lol. :D But in all earnest, it is really fascinating for me to learn these kind of things from a culture I am totally unfamiliar with. And I think I am not alone here, because I think only about 10 % of European people ever get to visit a country like Botswana, much less learn about their traditions, names and culture.

Not necessarily "my" country, but in Japan where I'm living now, "Haruka" and "Hina" are the most common names for girls and "Yuma" and "Haruto" are very popular boy names. 

2 hours ago, Miya said:

Not necessarily "my" country, but in Japan where I'm living now, "Haruka" and "Hina" are the most common names for girls and "Yuma" and "Haruto" are very popular boy names. 

I think Nobu for men is pretty popular as well. And as far as last names go, Tanaka is pretty popular.