Linguaholic

Most common names in your country

Mameha

I really love Japanese names, in fact if i have to choose a name for a videogame or something like this i use to choose a Japanese female name, because they sounds good and they have beautiful meanings ;D

Some examples are Ai (Love),Akahana (red flower), Ayaka (colorful flower),  Hana (flower), Hanako (Flower's child), Haruka (Distance), Hoshi (Star), Kiyoko (pure child), Kiyomi (pure beauty), Nami (wave), Nana (seven), Sakura (cherry blossom), Sayuri (lily), Shizuka (quiet person), Tomoko (wise child), Tsuki (Moon), Tsukiyama (moon mountain) Yuki (snow), Yuuki (princess)

Some male name: Akira (bright), Haru (spring/sun/sunlight), Hideki (beautiful opportunity), Hitoshi (generous), Kazuhiko (harmonious prince), Ken (strong, healty),Kenichi (first healty son), Makoro (sincere, true), Naoki (quit tree), Nobu (faith), Ryuu (dragon's spirit), Satoshi (wise), Shiro (fourth son), Takashi (high), Takeshi (proud, warrior), Toshio (brilliant man)

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

20 hours ago, Chris_A said:

That is for sure, lol. :D But in all earnest, it is really fascinating for me to learn these kind of things from a culture I am totally unfamiliar with. And I think I am not alone here, because I think only about 10 % of European people ever get to visit a country like Botswana, much less learn about their traditions, names and culture.

That's so true, Chris_A. Botswana is just an obscure little country that many people may have heard of but don't really know much about. Part of our economy is generated via our tourism sector, which is quite big. Sadly, not everyone is able to go on safari in Botswana, as it's deliberately designed to be high end, very pricey tourism to manage traffic into the wilderness. This is in part to preserve the fauna, flora and the wilderness in general as much as possible. The majority of our guests are wealthy and very old Westerners.

On 12/12/2015, 7:08:02, linguaholic said:

I think Nobu for men is pretty popular as well. And as far as last names go, Tanaka is pretty popular.

Where did you hear that "Nobu" is popular? I don't think it's a common name. 

As for last names, Sato, Suzuki, and Takahashi are the most popular in Japan. Tanaka is in the top 10 though. 

23 hours ago, lushlala said:

That's so true, Chris_A. Botswana is just an obscure little country that many people may have heard of but don't really know much about. Part of our economy is generated via our tourism sector, which is quite big. Sadly, not everyone is able to go on safari in Botswana, as it's deliberately designed to be high end, very pricey tourism to manage traffic into the wilderness. This is in part to preserve the fauna, flora and the wilderness in general as much as possible. The majority of our guests are wealthy and very old Westerners.

I can totally imagine that. Old and rich people can probably afford a trip to Africa. But as far as plane tickets go, they are getting more and more expensive each year here in Europe. I mean, one has to buy a ticket 3 months in advance, so that you can afford a trip to as close as Italy, around here. Really crazy stuff.

1 hour ago, Chris_A said:

I can totally imagine that. Old and rich people can probably afford a trip to Africa. But as far as plane tickets go, they are getting more and more expensive each year here in Europe. I mean, one has to buy a ticket 3 months in advance, so that you can afford a trip to as close as Italy, around here. Really crazy stuff.

This actually differs per flight company.
Here in the Netherlands, tickets to Spain and Poland are very cheap.
But tickets to Italy or Moldavia are more expensive.

This is because you can just take a flight to Poland through Wizzair.
They have very crappy planes, but they're really cheap.
Same if you go to Spain, but this time it's Transavia.
Their planes are of better quality though.

But this is notable for international flights too: certain places in the USA is just a mere 20-300 euro ticket (single tickets), while other places in the same country cost more than 600 euros for a single ticket.
It's probably due to the fact that only KLM and some other expensive companies fly to these expensive places, while you can just take a flight with TUI to the cheap ones.

On 13 December 2015 at 6:19:39 PM, Chris_A said:

Isn't it ironic that a long time ago flying was a luxury only the rich could afford, and then over the years as airfares became more and more affordable, everyone could afford to fly. Fast forward to 2015, and we seem to have gone back several decades! Things seem to have taken a nasty turn ever since the financial crisis, and they're just not showing any good signs of recovery. We're all feeling the pinch!

I will just be providing some usual nicknames in the Philippines as we people in here had now been influenced with lots of foreign sounding names:

Female: Nene, Inday, Baby

Male: Totoy, Pogi, Junior, Dodong, Boy, 

The fun part is we usually pick one syllable of a name and double it to form a nickname like: TengTeng, KangKang, JackJack, Lulu, DonDon, DingDong, JingJing, BengBeng, BongBong, LynLyn, and so on

The other way to form a nickname is by using initials like : JR, RJ. KC, JC, CJ, TJ, MJ, and so on

Well, like in a lot of countries, biblical names are the most common. The equivalent to Joseph - José - and Mary - María - are chosen. Also, there are a lot (and i mean LOTS) of John - Juan - 

When it comes to surnames: Silva, Rodriguez and López are the most common.

3 hours ago, kurdapia said:

I will just be providing some usual nicknames in the Philippines as we people in here had now been influenced with lots of foreign sounding names:

The fun part is we usually pick one syllable of a name and double it to form a nickname like: TengTeng, KangKang, JackJack, Lulu, DonDon, DingDong, JingJing, BengBeng, BongBong, LynLyn, and so on

The other way to form a nickname is by using initials like : JR, RJ. KC, JC, CJ, TJ, MJ, and so on

Aww these are really cute nicknames, @kurpadia! I think Nene is popular among the African Americans, too. We have our own version, Nini. I have to say Totoy, Pogi and Dodong sound especially cute! We have something similar to Boy, but ours is usually BoyBoy or Boycie. Very interesting, thanks for sharing :)

On 16/12/2015, 15:04:57, kurdapia said:

These nicknames are so cute! Here everyone use personal nicknames to call friends or others when they wants, there aren't generic nicknames, just abbreviations or something like this :)

22 hours ago, lushlala said:

Aww these are really cute nicknames, @kurpadia! I think Nene is popular among the African Americans, too. We have our own version, Nini. I have to say Totoy, Pogi and Dodong sound especially cute! We have something similar to Boy, but ours is usually BoyBoy or Boycie. Very interesting, thanks for sharing :)

That is nice to know that the names somehow have similarities despite our geographic locations. I am now curious to know what are some of the funny names do you guys have in your country. Names that you would not want to name your kids with because they are either funny, weird sounding or way too inappropriate for the kid's generation. In my case the name I use on this site is Kurdapia. That is a funny name actually. It sounds weird and funny. 

2 hours ago, kurdapia said:

That is nice to know that the names somehow have similarities despite our geographic locations. I am now curious to know what are some of the funny names do you guys have in your country. Names that you would not want to name your kids with because they are either funny, weird sounding or way too inappropriate for the kid's generation. In my case the name I use on this site is Kurdapia. That is a funny name actually. It sounds weird and funny. 

I know, right!? First off, I actually like the name Kurpadia, even though I don't know what it means. It has a nice sound to it, that's if I'm even saying it right in my head LOL

Yes, there used to be this tendency in my country to give children what I think were not so nice names (in my opinion) such as the ones below:

Dikeledi- Tears

Khutsafalo- a deep sense of sadness

Seboko- Worm

Kehutsafetse- I'm sad

Setlogelwa- That which is left behind

I mean, I just don't get why anyone would want to name their child that! Luckily, this trend is on the wane and people are a lot more creative with the names they give their children...phew!

On 12/13/2015, 7:53:30, Blaveloper said:

This actually differs per flight company.
Here in the Netherlands, tickets to Spain and Poland are very cheap.
But tickets to Italy or Moldavia are more expensive.

This is because you can just take a flight to Poland through Wizzair.
They have very crappy planes, but they're really cheap.
Same if you go to Spain, but this time it's Transavia.
Their planes are of better quality though.

But this is notable for international flights too: certain places in the USA is just a mere 20-300 euro ticket (single tickets), while other places in the same country cost more than 600 euros for a single ticket.
It's probably due to the fact that only KLM and some other expensive companies fly to these expensive places, while you can just take a flight with TUI to the cheap ones.

Depends on the country, I guess. And also maybe on the the date of the year, I think flight companies are really putting their prices out there based on when tourists would book a flight or not.

• 6 months later...

I havee been living in UK for the lats 5 years and some of the names that I have found common are Aaric, Caddarik. Actually I wanted to have a list of common British names for one of my project and I was searching for it. Here, I got British names which are very common. Sorry, writing all these names would be a tough job, so I am sharing the link. Its

http://www.babynology.com/british_babynames.html.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the UK and the most common names that I tend to hear are:

Boys: James, Michael, John/Jonathan, Jacob, Jack, Kevin, Paul, Harry, Liam, David and Benjamin. 

Girls: Sarah, Nicole, Emma/Emmie/Emily, Lucy, Maisie, Amelia, Christine/Kirsten/Kristen, Mary, Samantha, Kate/Katie, Lily.