Linguaholic

How do you translate "subo" in English

kurdapia

6 hours ago, NATASHA said:

I have never heard of this word and I presume you mean to "make love" but not sure. What language are you translating from because you can go online to bing translator and find what you are looking for there

Subo is a Filipino word that means to feed. But she wants to find out if there is a translation of the word in a romantic term, as in a couple feeding each other. 

To answer the question of kurdapia, I think there is none. You can only describe the feeding in a romantic way, I guess. It can perhaps go something like, the groom and bride lovingly share the slice of cake as their first food together as husband and wife, or something like that. I don't know. I cannot think of any Filipino translation of subo other than feed. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry but the only thing that I can think of is to feed as I cannot find any other word to describe it, I know what you mean but cannot express another word for it as in saying the bride and groom fed each other you could perhaps add in a word like delicately or ferociously but the actual word would be feed

• 2 months later...

For me the word feed feels so mechanical although base from the example mentioned above about groom and bride sharing a slice of cake is actually feeding but you can still feel giddy about the thought. I am looking for that word to describe that feeling or situation without having to sound mechanical. 

Hi Kurdapia. I think there is none as I have looked it up in Google. You really only have to describe the feeding process in a romantic way. For instance, you can say, She lovingly puts food in his mouth as he lies down helpless. Or anything to that effect that will describe the partner's feeding gesture. I know what you mean by mechanical but some Filipino words really do not have a direct translation in English the way we want them to sound when it is said in our native tongue.

46 minutes ago, Verba said:

Hi Kurdapia. I think there is none as I have looked it up in Google. You really only have to describe the feeding process in a romantic way. For instance, you can say, She lovingly puts food in his mouth as he lies down helpless. Or anything to that effect that will describe the partner's feeding gesture. I know what you mean by mechanical but some Filipino words really do not have a direct translation in English the way we want them to sound when it is said in our native tongue.

I agree with you, I am having a hard time describing this subo thing to my foreign friend . Sometimes there are indeed feelings or emotions or what have you that gets lost literally in translation. ( laughs) Each language is unique and beautiful on its own and should be appreciated as they are. 

• 1 year later...

i know this was posted 2016

At first i really thought of subo for adults = BJ

Sorry got a dirty mind ok i'm out

• 8 months later...

This is quite an interesting question. I think, the common translation for the word "subo" is "feed" - but this means putting food into the mouth of the receiver/recipient/the person receiving the foods. In a general sense, you can simply use 'put into the mouth' for other uses and scenarios. I wonder if there's a classier or a more tasteful way to apply the said translation to romantic scenarios! :D  Quoting the example given by Verba, you can say 'the groom feeds his new bride a slice of their wedding cake'. For instances such as having a dental procedure, an example could be 'the dentist puts the _insert the apparatus here_ into the mouth of his patient', etc. So I guess you should variate or modify the phrase to the scenario, to make the translation/description more appropriate. I would love to know if there's a one-word equivalent translation for 'subo' too! 

• 2 years later...

Feed is the only English word close to describe the Filipino word "Subo". But then, the English  meaning of Feed is not applicable or definitive as it implies the other way around in Filipino which mean "Pagkain" or "Pagpapakain", i.e. Food or to Feed or Feeding. Subo is more of a caring action that you have to really bring the food with bare hand or by spoon to the mouth, slowly, carefully and with utmost love and care.  Subo or Pagsubo is being rendered only to a person you love, to an offspring and among siblings but not habitually between relatives or very close friends as this sometimes raise some kind of skepticism. When someone say Subo or Subuan or Sinusubuan is explicitly mean more than just caring as the word implies in Filipino. I think, it is time for the Philippine Government to apply this word to be included in the International Dictionary.

I understand the question.
When you think of "feeding", you might think of something like this:

30610240.jpg.312dcc10f3d7e9dedb86993ac9e8796b.jpg

Instead you want to know how to say something like this:

9320877i.jpeg.8187d3b0e94b7743133fb6db59eed700.jpeg

Honestly, I don't think there's really a way of saying it in English, especially in the age of social justice which every English speaking country or territory with the exception of Hong Kong and Singapore are currently forced to suffer under you should not expect such word to come to existance any time soon too.
The closest that comes to mind is "having a romantic dinner together" or just "dining out", both of which are much broader than "putting food into your partners' mouth".

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...