Linguaholic

TEXT tALK

NATASHA

There is nothing worse than having a conversation with someone and they shorten their words according to text lingo. Lol, btw.....you know what I mean. I had a conversation with someone the other day and the entire sentence was shortened by these text words and I find it really sad that the language cant just flow!

49 minutes ago, NATASHA said:

There is nothing worse than having a conversation with someone and they shorten their words according to text lingo. Lol, btw.....you know what I mean. I had a conversation with someone the other day and the entire sentence was shortened by these text words and I find it really sad that the language cant just flow!

Yep, it is really bad when someone using short words for chat even the person is not interested in writing short words instead of full words. 

I always make it a point to write everything in full, even when texting.  Sometimes the message can be misunderstood and writing in text abbreviations will turn off the recipient, especially if s/he is not familiar with text words such as BTW, LOL, etc.  For instance, through Facebook Messenger, I always write my words in full to avoid being misunderstood.  When people get lazy in writing, the message becomes blurred such that you will have difficulty trying to interpret it.

When I'm talking to my friends, I'm horrible with grammar and sentence structure. It's important to me that they understand what I'm trying to say, I don't always have to be super punctual when talking to them, but I see your point. I don't use too many "text" short words like LOL and BTW or whatever, but I think they can be useful if used in moderation. 

I totally agree, it's just horrible! My youngest sister writes like that ALL THE TIME and sometimes I wonder if she actually knows how to actual spell! I never moan too much about it, because I've always thought it's because I'm older and just being grumpy. But I honestly see this as a threat to good written skills, in the long term. When I go on Facebook, I notice that all the teens write this way and some of it looks like a totally foreign language! I worry that when these young people are put to the test in a formal setting, they'll fail outright.

I think shortening words can be practical when you really have mastered a language, but it is not really nice to read, that`s for sure. :D Either that, or you can go out of your way and learn the "new" language from scratch. :P

• 1 month later...

I honestly think that with all the short lingo on text and email, chat rooms etc the new generation will not be able to have a full conversation with good grammar in the future. Reading and writing will be a thing of the past

Hahaha! I remember back then that this text lingo was quite popular in our school. Back then, cellphones aren't touch screen ones, it's the keypad ones, right? So shortening the text is really more convenient for us. But now, with the advent of touch screens, text lingo aren't all that popular here. Heck, texting isn't even popular anymore. It's chatting and messaging that has become the norm. But still, there are people who use text lingo in such apps.

The situation here in Italy is even worse than for english (ma credo che tu lo sappia! :D)  i really can't stand young people making awkward abbreviations  using the "k" (which in Italian is not used) instead of "Ch", or writing a word without vowels, so people can't even recognize the word.

I strongly agree, you have no idea how many times a day, I encounter text speech, it drives me mad not being able to understand all of what a person is saying all because of laziness! I actually would like to understand what you're saying instead of trying to solve the secret to the DaVinci Code!! Why must people do this to themselves I've managed to decipher some of the text speech but more keeps showing up so it slowly but surely starts turning into a lost cause... I wish people would atleast translate if there going to use it, so other people can understand them... I just want to be able to understand you/they type...

I can't stand having a conversation with someone who is always shortening the words, writing long texts without using line breaks or changing the spelling of the worlds to sound/look cool.

A bit of all the above it's okay from time to time, but when is done on a regular basis, unless you reply blindly or you waste your time trying to figure out what those shortened words mean, or finding the breaks in a lengthy text, it's truly a headache to me.