Linguaholic

If you could speak just 5 languages what would they be?

Wanda Kaishin

If you could speak just 5 languages, including your native language, what would they be? Ok, maybe you don't plan on ever learning 5 languages, but in your dreams, what would they be? And if you already have more than 5, which 5 would you keep? My list is:

1) English (native)

2) Thai (I spend so much time there)

3) Spanish (haven't used it actively for a while, but I hear it all the time)

4) Russian (I'm very attracted to these people)

5) Mandarin (It's sort of my flavor of the week right now)

I currently speak 5 languages actually, but I have plans to add some more in the future.

1. Polish (native).
2. Dutch (native).
3. English (even though Dutch is the official language in the Netherlands, it's difficult to live here without knowing English).
4. Japanese (very important for both my game development and game journalist careers).
5. German (I learnt it became it's almost like Dutch in so many ways, and I visit the Gamescom every year. Germany is a place where you can't even buy a 'bratwurst' if you can't speak German).

Since I only speak two languages (Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrian are way too similar to Serbian so it would be kinda cheating to say I speak those as well), I would love to get three extra languages I could speak :D I would leave Serbian on the list because it's my native and all my friends and family speak it. English of course, since I've spent my entire life learning it. Then, I would add Spanish since a huge part of the world speaks it, French because I already know a little and German since my mother lives and Germany and is constantly pushing me to go there haha :D 

1. Spanish (since it is so common in the US)

2. Italy (as I love the country and my ancestors are from there)

3. Cantonese (as it is good to know for business)

4. French (I think it is one of the most beautiful tongues)

5. Russian (as it is such a powerful nation)

It would be a hard decision which languages to keep.. I'm just glad I don't have to restrict myself to any number in real life :)

But if I had, it would be:

1. Russian (because it's my native and I love it unconditionally, the way you love your family).

2. Polish (it has become a sort of second native and some of the most amazing people I've met speak it, including my partner).

3. French (can't live without it and think it's beautiful and, well, simply amazing).

4. Spanish (because trying to speak it always cheers me up for some reason).

5. Dutch (I just think it's cute).

Decisions, decisions and so many languages to choose from too LOL! Here's my list:

Italian- Because I LOVE all things Italian. I actually believe I'm an 'honorary' Italian :)

French- I have loved this language for what feels like FOREVER. Plus I have many French friends.

Danish- I have Danish links and it'd be nice to impress my Danish relatives :)

German- So I can brag that I speak German, because I have it in my head that it's extremely hard.

Swahili- Because it sounds beautiful to me.

My list will include the following:

1. Korean - because I work with a lot of them and there's too many Koreans in our streets right now.

2. Spanish - because a lot of our own words are derived from this language

3. English - (second language)

4. French - I just love how it sounds

5. Japanese - I'm just learning that there are a lot of employment opportunities for Japanese-speaking individuals in our country now. I'll be quitting my work with the Koreans by next week, so I kinda of regretted not learning Japanese when there are so many opening for Japanese interpreters and their salary is big.

I only wish I could communicate with everyone in their native language, but if I had to choose, I would choose:

1.English: it is my second language and I love expressing myself in it

2.Serbia: well, my native language has to be included because it is just lovely, too

3.Russian - because it always reminds me of some fairy tales and sounds great to me

4.Spanish: I already understand it, just need to learn how to speak.

5.Icelandic- I love how it sounds, and I already know how to read it.

Ah, my choice would probably be:
1. English: 6 years in the UK has to have some effects

2. Vietnamese: native

3. Cantonese: for some reason a lot of my friends are from Hong Kong, and I would love to surprise them

4. Japanese: for all the games ! And workers with Japanese skill are actually highly sought after in my area 

5. France: a very melodic language IMO

Oh, this is a tough one...

1.  English (Native) - Since it's a universal language and all
  2. German - I've been (trying to) learn German ever since I was in high school and fell in love with the country and history through that. Considering I have family and want to visit someday, it's on the list.
  3. Japanese - Because who doesn't want to lean this? Again, history plays a big part in this choice since I am absolutely fascinated by their culture and history.
  4. Italian - It sounds so sing-song-y and beautiful, definitely wouldn't mind knowing this one.
  5. Arabic - The writing is so, so beautiful, being able to read and understand the calligraphy would make me so happy.

55 minutes ago, Chris_A said:

I would say: Latin, then English, French, Spanish and Cantonese. If you can master these 5 languages, then I think you would have no problem communicating in any part of the world, if you would be traveling.

If communication with the whole world is your biggest reason, then why Latin and Cantonese?
Latin is used by linguists only right now and Cantonese is only used in the south of China + Hong Kong and maybe Macau.
AUz29Mq.png

1) English (native) 

2) Chinese - I'm Chinese so I can already speak some Chinese, but I'm not fluent enough. I'd like to be more fluent.

3) Japanese - One of my favorite languages.

4) French - I studied French, but forgot almost all of it. I'd love to pick it up again.

5) Korean - A language I'm really interested in

I don't really like the fact that I have to include my native language in this.  I'd rather it be five languages other than my native tongue.

1- English (native)

2- French (I started learning this in high school and I just fell in love with it)

3- Spanish (Practicality.  There are many Spanish-speaking immigrants in this country and I like to listen to Spanish-language music from traditional to Tejano to Reggaeton)

4- Korean (It's a beautiful language)

5- Celtic/Gaelic (I have Irish and Scottish ancestry and feel very connected to it.)

There are a few others.  These aren't in any particular order.  They are all equal in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, czarina84 said:

I don't really like the fact that I have to include my native language in this.  I'd rather it be five languages other than my native tongue.

1- English (native)

2- French (I started learning this in high school and I just fell in love with it)

3- Spanish (Practicality.  There are many Spanish-speaking immigrants in this country and I like to listen to Spanish-language music from traditional to Tejano to Reggaeton)

4- Korean (It's a beautiful language)

5- Celtic/Gaelic (I have Irish and Scottish ancestry and feel very connected to it.)

There are a few others.  These aren't in any particular order.  They are all equal in my opinion.

Is Reggaeton really Spanish? ;) Didn't know that.

1) Spanish - I've already learned so much Spanish and get so much pleasure out of speaking it.

2) French - so beautiful

3) Mandarin - I've never attempted a language in symbols, and this one would be useful for sure. 

4) Quechua - Duuuh, you have to have some uncommon indigenous lanuage, too! 

5) Mohawk - only the oldest in the Mohawk community still speak Mohawk. It will die with them! 

If I could speak five languages I would choose English, Spanish, Arabic, Korean, and Japanese. The first is my native language, the second is the language I am currently trying to learn, and the third is my mother's native language. I've also been interested in a lot of Korean and Japanese shows so it would be lovely to understand to understand the shows without relying on subtitles.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to cheat a bit since I consider both Slovenian and Italian my native languages so the list would look like this:

1) Slovenian/Italian
2) Mandarin
3) Spanish
4) English
5) Hindi

I chose these languages purely because they are the most spoken languages in the world, and if I could know only 4 additional to my native ones, these would be it. The number of people you could potentially communicate with is immense!