Linguaholic

How has this forum helped you?

anna3101

Now that it's the time of 2015 is running out, I thought it'd be nice to look back and say thanks to people, events and ideas that have made this year a really good one.

And where else to start if not here? :)

I don't know about you but for me, this forum has been an awesome find.

1. It has helped me to be more motivated. When I see so many people who are really serious about language learning, and very enthusiastic, well, it's contagious! I want to learn too! And that's why I have finally started to learn all of my languages on a regular basis - something that I've struggled with before.

2. I've learnt new things here that were really interesting. Not only about teaching and learning methods (although there's been that too, and a lot of good links to youtube and other sites), but also about other countries and cultures. I have to admit there are countries I didn't know anything about :( But now I do, and it's all thanks to people from linguaholic. You have opened up my eyes to the fact that there's a whole world out there - something you tend to forget when the media always concentrates on the U.S., E.U and China.

3. Most important thing of all, I've "met" amazing people here! Seeing your posts always lifts up my mood, and that has an overall positive impact on my life :) I wish so much we could all meet for real one day. We could throw a big international linguaholic party or something :)

What about you? Was there anything new or useful for you around here on linguaholic.com?

I am so glad that I found this forum. Finding people interested in learning a variety of languages with experiences from all over the world has been such a wonderful experience! Being a part of this group has really helped me stay on track with my personal language goals, knowing that I could one day help others who wanted to learn the language too. This forum is such a valuable resource, and a wealth of knowledge from all over the globe. Best of all, it's such a positive and inviting community! I can't wait to see what the new year brings for everyone. Bliadhna Ùr Mhath!

This forum is really nice and helpful! This helped me because i found out that there are people all over the world who are learning languages and so have my same passion. It's good too to see people from other countries and their cultures ! I want to travel the world one day in the future, when i can, so it's a start something about you all ;)

Another good thing is that here there are a lot of native speaker to talk with and to ask if i have some doubts.

And another way this forum helped me is that i'm not so good and fluent with english, so everytime i want to write something but i don't know the translation or the words to use, i google them, so everytime i learn something new. Am i the only one doing this? It is really helpful! And people here are very kind. :)

It has definitely helped me gain a new perspective on language learning. As far as English goes, I'd say I'm at a pretty decent level, but I mainly came here to learn how to teach and see how different people react to different methods. I'm still far from actually becoming a teacher, but this forum has been rather useful. It has also been inspirational as I've decided to take a Spanish course in the spring. I've already tried learning on my own, but getting an "official" education will be better for me.

When I just came in, I was quite easy-going when it came to language learning and it worked fine to me.
But now I have learnt to work much harder to come somewhere quicker and that worked much better to me.

Another good thing is that I met lots of people with different goals, different ways of learning, different types of fluency, etc. and I learnt to accept their ways of learning, their goals, their definition of fluency, etc.
I have been on many different forums in the past, but this one seems to be the only one that has lots of people AND nice people at the same time.
Many other forums tend to either have lots of arseholes, or a very few nice ones.

My only critique would be that Linguaholic himself is too easy on everybody sometimes, so I often had to come in and do some Moderator tasks instead.
I understand there isn't much to moderate here, but if there is then it often remains unmoderated.

2 hours ago, Blaveloper said:

My only critique would be that Linguaholic himself is too easy on everybody sometimes, so I often had to come in and do some Moderator tasks instead.
I understand there isn't much to moderate here, but if there is then it often remains unmoderated.

I think this is the kind of thing you should take up in a pm involving admins and mods, rather than posting it publicly. Personally, I like the way things are run here, but I'm willing to listen to your complaints and examples and go with direction from our leadership. So I suggest creating a pm like I described, deleting this text from your post, and deleting my post completely.

24 minutes ago, Wanda Kaishin said:

I think this is the kind of thing you should take up in a pm involving admins and mods, rather than posting it publicly. Personally, I like the way things are run here, but I'm willing to listen to your complaints and examples and go with direction from our leadership. So I suggest creating a pm like I described, deleting this text from your post, and deleting my post completely.

Huh, I wasn't complaining, I was just sharing my opinion.
But I don't want this topic to become a Democrat vs Republican-kind of debate, so it's better to just keep it as an opinion and leave things like they are.

I really like this forum and the people here. It has definitely given me inspiration and motivation to keep to my language learning goals and maybe even given me new ideas as well. It has helped me for sure, since I joined.

The first thing that drew me to this community was our common interest, our love of languages and cultures different to our own. It's always nice to hang out with like minded people, and I'm glad to say this is a very pleasant community with a warm atmosphere and feel to it. 

I've enjoyed the dialogue and debates, which have for the most part been very mature, engaging and very interesting. It's great to know that the culture here is that we can agree to disagree and still be 'friends' at the end of it all :)

I've also learnt quite a fair bit about all the free online resources that I wasn't always aware of. This has really given me a kick to think more about taking up my language learning again next year and beyond, if I can find the time. There are people here who are doing it this way and doing well at it too, so they spur me on to give it a really good go!

I like it here, long may Linguaholic continue, through 2016 and beyond :)

1 hour ago, lushlala said:

The first thing that drew me to this community was our common interest, our love of languages and cultures different to our own. It's always nice to hang out with like minded people, and I'm glad to say this is a very pleasant community with a warm atmosphere and feel to it. 

I've enjoyed the dialogue and debates, which have for the most part been very mature, engaging and very interesting. It's great to know that the culture here is that we can agree to disagree and still be 'friends' at the end of it all :)

I've also learnt quite a fair bit about all the free online resources that I wasn't always aware of. This has really given me a kick to think more about taking up my language learning again next year and beyond, if I can find the time. There are people here who are doing it this way and doing well at it too, so they spur me on to give it a really good go!

I like it here, long may Linguaholic continue, through 2016 and beyond :)

Thank you for the kind words. It's just the beginning of Linguaholic. Stay tuned. 

On 12.12.2015, 23:36:20, Mameha said:

And another way this forum helped me is that i'm not so good and fluent with english, so everytime i want to write something but i don't know the translation or the words to use, i google them, so everytime i learn something new. Am i the only one doing this? It is really helpful! And people here are very kind. :)

No, you are not the only one :) Whenever I'm trying to post something in Italian or Spanish, I practically don't take my eyes off online dictionaries and conjugator sites. It surely helps!