Linguaholic

Spanish books that are a good read

Can anyone reccomend some spanish books that are a good read? I would like easier books to start off with as I am not that linguistic in spanish yet. Also are there online spanish books? I haven't got a kindle or e-reader so I can't download them. I'm just wondering whether my library woud have any, probably not though.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

If you are just starting I recommend trying to pick up a children's classic you already know and love.  If you are fairly far on in Spanish this need not be a really 'easy' book but can be of more intermediate difficulty/for teens.  An example of the kind of thing I'm talking about is Harry Potter (which is surprisingly hard to read in a foreign language in my opinion).

The problem with Harry Potter books is that there are so many "inventend words" in it. J.K Rowling "made up" a lot of different words to create Hogwarts and the world around it and this makes it rather difficult to understand the books in a foreign language, as you may not be able to grasp the meaning of those "fictional words and expressions", at least that is what I was struggling with most when starting to read the Harry Potter Series in Chinese.  :grin:

How do you call this kind of words in English by the way? I know that there is no such thing as "fictional words", however you might know what I mean and I would be glad if you could provide the exact term(s) for it. thank you  :wacky:

Well, I really agree with trying to find children books first and see how you feel about them. I personally love fairy tales so if I was learning a new language that is probably the kind of lecture I'd go for.

during our secondary they made us read this Cuauhtemoc Sanchez books, so they might be good too. They are some sort of novel but at the same time it tries to 'educate' on certain moral points. They are not considered true relevant literature by many, but they are entertaining enough and could help you grasp better while you decide where to move next.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you call this kind of words in English by the way? I know that there is no such thing as "fictional words", however you might know what I mean and I would be glad if you could provide the exact term(s) for it. thank you  :wacky:

The term you're looking for may be "portmanteau".

The children's books or Harry Potter books are good suggestions, but if you are like me you can't read more than a few pages of these just because they do not interest you.

What I did was bought some John Grisham books in Spanish. His books keep you interested and are very dialog driven. They are not difficult reads after the first chapter or so, and you are reading real, adult fiction that Spanish speaking adults would read. It's a huge motivation.

There are some really nice books that were written in spanish and are considered true classics, here is a shot list of my favorite ones:

- Cien años de soledad by Gabriel García Márquez

- El amor en los tiempos del colera by Gabriel García Márquez

- El esclavo by Francisco J. Angel Real (very inspiring)

- La muerte de Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes