Linguaholic

Lit vs Lighted

SarahRTW

Someone asked about this word pair and its usage

I admit, I wasn't sure myself. So I looked it up. Here's what I Found:

• Both words are acceptable past tense/past participle terms for "To light"
    Neither word is associated with one regional variation such as UK or US english, but one sources did say "lit" is the prefered version outside of USA
    Lighted is often used as a verb (" a lighted candle") while lit is often used as a verb ("the candle was lit")

So, either way, your usage will be correct.  Go ahead and use which one you think sounds best.

References:

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2006/08/lighted-vs-lit-and-dived-vs-dove.html

http://grammarist.com/usage/lighted-lit/

I personally like the word 'lit' more than 'lighted', so it always annoyed me when I'd see 'lighted', thinking it was somehow wrong. I suppose I'll just have to accept it :P

You say 'lighted' is often used as a verb and 'lit' is often used as a verb. So isn't that the same thing then? :S

I personally like the word 'lit' more than 'lighted', so it always annoyed me when I'd see 'lighted', thinking it was somehow wrong. I suppose I'll just have to accept it :P

You say 'lighted' is often used as a verb and 'lit' is often used as a verb. So isn't that the same thing then? :S

I think she meant to say adjective. I found this topic interesting, as I had always assumed that "lit" was correct. Most sources do say that these two words are interchangeable since they are both correct, but "lit" will always sound more correct to me. Any time the word "light" is referring to its illuminating definition, I will still say "lit." I was thinking that there are other times when "lighted" seems correct, such as in the other definitions of "light" when the word means to discover something, descend, or settle down, but you really don't hear this usage very often: "She gracefully lighted down the stairs."

Thank you for sharing this information. I was not aware that "lighted" was proper grammar!

I think she meant to say adjective.

Ah, I'm not very good with that. I know what a verb is, but the rest is Chinese to me. It's the one thing I'm not very good with in my native language either.

Any time the word "light" is referring to its illuminating definition, I will still say "lit." I was thinking that there are other times when "lighted" seems correct, such as in the other definitions of "light" when the word means to discover something, descend, or settle down, but you really don't hear this usage very often: "She gracefully lighted down the stairs."

That makes sense, it also made me think about describing shades. You can say one shade is lighter than another, of course, but could you say you had two things that used to be the same shade, but then you 'lighted' one of them? 'Bleached' sounds so nasty.

Yes, it should be "adjective."     

Thus:  "Lighted is often used as an adjective (" a lighted candle") while lit is often used as a verb ("the candle was lit")" 

It's great info, SarahRTW and much appreciated. 

It's good to know that we are correct with either word.  That's a relief, isn't it?  After all, we have so many other pairs of words where this is not the case! 

I normally use "lighted" as in "that's a lighted candle". It is used more like an adjective although I also do say, "I lighted the candles".

I tend to use "lit" for things like"his face lit up". Also use "lit" for electric lamps and other artificial light sources as opposed to "light" which I use for actually lighting a candle or bonfire.

I admit, "lighted" sounds awkward to me, too.  I tend to say "lit", as most of you do.  However, now we all know both are acceptable.  Go ahead and use whichever you prefer; no grammar police will arrest you for incorrect word usage.

Also, thanks for correcting my error. You are quite right, I did mean adjective. As to the confusion about if its different, the word in a way acts or sounds like an adjective, even though it's a verb.  This is a different topic, I'll try to get something together on it soon, if it will help. 

I have a similarly hard time with:

spelled vs. spelt

learned vs. learnt

burned vs. burnt

Are both usages acceptable in these cases as well?

In the case of spelled vs. spelt, "spelled" is used in the U.S. whereas you will see "spelt" used in the UK.  The same is true of  learned vs. learnt.

With burned vs. burnt either form is acceptable everywhere, but you will see "burned" more often in the U.S.  Additionally "burnt" can be used as an adjective, as in "burnt toast."  It's also interchangeable with "burned toast." 

I'm surprised that both lit and lighted are acceptable! I always though it was incorrect to use the word lighted so thanks for enlightening me. I still think lit is a smoother word to use both as a verb and adjective. "A lit candle" sounds better than "a lighted candle" to me.

In the case of spelled vs. spelt, "spelled" is used in the U.S. whereas you will see "spelt" used in the UK.  The same is true of  learned vs. learnt.

With burned vs. burnt either form is acceptable everywhere, but you will see "burned" more often in the U.S.  Additionally "burnt" can be used as an adjective, as in "burnt toast."  It's also interchangeable with "burned toast."

Yeah. The ones ending with t like learnt and burnt are mainly used in British English. I remember losing marks in school when I was a kid for using burned toast instead of burnt toast. My teacher probably wasn't particularly fond of American English.