Linguaholic

Rap Around the World

czarina84

Here in Uruguay we have a lot of underground artists. I don't particularly enjoy most of the musicians in the hip-hop scene but I support the movement and any type of music/genre. The most famous one (in the country) is called LaTejaPride* (La Teja is a neighbourhood in the city of Montevideo) and I think they are good. They talk about life, the streets and I think they try to give a really positive outlook on life. Their genre would be more of a blend with old school hip-hop, with a DJ, and modern hip-hop (newer sounds and technology).

There is also a really famous band which is more on the side of Rap Metal that is called Peyote Asesino ("Killer Peyote"), similar in sound to Molotov (mexican band). They don't have a positive vibe and are really aggressive in their lyrics and music. They are known in south america but are not active anymore.

We have a few local 'rap artists' but somehow the rap just comes over a little contrived to me. I don't think my language lends itself to rap at all. In fact, there are languages that I feel make rap music very unappealing. I personally prefer it in English, in particular American English. Even some British rappers fail miserably to pull it off LOL 

In Slovenia we don't really differentiate the types of rap/hip-hop, it's just that. We have a couple of artists who are considered mainstream, but I prefer those that are more underground, or better said that they have their own label and work hard to build it up. You have rappers that are known locally but also nationwide, since it's such a small country. Italian rap, lately there's been quite an addition of rappers to the mainstream scene, but there's still independent labels who try to make it. Some labels already made it big by singing with Universal and such. My favorites are probably Fabri Fibra (which is one of the most well known artists in Italy), Salmo, Gemitaiz, MadMan, to name a few...

In my country, most of the RAP is underground, there is only few mainscreen rappers only, I can name one of them which is considered as my country RAP godfather, he been rapping since 1996 till today, it's name Lotfi DK I adore rap music and that's all what i listen to 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, since I live in America, but the problem is that, here in America is that most of rapping nowadays is about sex, drugs, money and the "thug life", some of the artists are actually trying to break the stereotype and rap about something else, but in the end it doesn't help, I mostly listen to J/K/C-Pop, but that doesn't mean I don't listen to normal rap, but only good songs (but that's just me).... 

In México, rap is often confused with hip-hop and reggaeton.

Personally I didn't know there was different sub-genres of rap, and frankly amazes me this rhythm is so popular today, when it was practically ignored 32 years ago, when the movie "Breaking'" came into the mainstream back in 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_pzk83luwo

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎21‎:‎42‎, watangaboy said:

Here in Uruguay we have a lot of underground artists. I don't particularly enjoy most of the musicians in the hip-hop scene but I support the movement and any type of music/genre. The most famous one (in the country) is called LaTejaPride* (La Teja is a neighbourhood in the city of Montevideo) and I think they are good. They talk about life, the streets and I think they try to give a really positive outlook on life. Their genre would be more of a blend with old school hip-hop, with a DJ, and modern hip-hop (newer sounds and technology).

There is also a really famous band which is more on the side of Rap Metal that is called Peyote Asesino ("Killer Peyote"), similar in sound to Molotov (mexican band). They don't have a positive vibe and are really aggressive in their lyrics and music. They are known in south america but are not active anymore.

They both sound very cool.  I enjoy many types of music, real hip-hop (not just about drugs and sleeping around, but actual story-telling) is just the type I like best.  I will see if I can find these artists.  Thank you.

Wow.  These replies are great.  I have so many new artists to look up.  Keep them coming. :smile:  DivaDee, I completely understand.  I am also from the US.  We used to have a college station that played the underground stuff, but that's been replaced by a classical music show.  I also dislike most mainstream.  I'll listen to some of it occasionally, but I'm more for the "worked my way up, struggled and this is how" kind of stuff.  One of my favorite artists is Angie Martinez.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19 January 2016 at 1:15:15 PM, czarina84 said:

Wow.  These replies are great.  I have so many new artists to look up.  Keep them coming. :smile:  DivaDee, I completely understand.  I am also from the US.  We used to have a college station that played the underground stuff, but that's been replaced by a classical music show.  I also dislike most mainstream.  I'll listen to some of it occasionally, but I'm more for the "worked my way up, struggled and this is how" kind of stuff.  One of my favorite artists is Angie Martinez.

I have to agree a little bit with you on mainstream music. Not all of it is any good. Granted, I don't have as much of an aversion for it as you do, but sometimes I wander why people like certain music. I guess it's a case of different people, different taste. I listen to some not so mainstream music, maybe not underground per see, and I almost feel sorry for people who listen exclusively to mainstream music because the amount of decent ear candy out there that won't ever reach the masses is just amazing!

My country is not known for their R&B inspired genres, but some neighboring countries from Latin America are know for their own ;)  There is a genre that is R&B inspired and that is the ''Reggeaton''.   I never liked it to be honest.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:05 PM, Trellum said:

My country is not known for their R&B inspired genres, but some neighboring countries from Latin America are know for their own ;)  There is a genre that is R&B inspired and that is the ''Reggeaton''.   I never liked it to be honest.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Actually, I have already heard of Reggaeton.  I love it.  My favorite is probably the Kumbia Kings.  I also like Daddy Yankee. 

We have the same type of raps in my country. But I would not advice anyone trying to learn a language from this kind of music, because most rap artists use heavy slang in their lyrics which is not really widely used.

Here in Madagascar, rap is becoming very popular. Here is an example of one of the popular artists: Saboodak. The name of the song is Lafo Be which means, 'too expensive'. Micheal Jackson once said in a magazine article interview (I think it was Ebony magazine), that he didn't feel rap music would last because you need to create songs that even the washer woman in some small European town can hum along to, and she wouldn't be able to do that with a rap song. What I have found interesting over the course of the last decade is that rap artists have had a large impact on the style and dress of local entertainers due largely to music videos. But rap music can now be found in countries with even a very small population of speakers in their own languages. Although I am not a fan of the usual aggressive sounding nature of rap music, I must agree that it seems to be a more creative form of expression much like poetry than I gave it credit for in years past. 

Japan is odd (no big surprise there I'm sure) in the realm of rap.  There is a lot of American rap on the air in stores -- the hardcore gangster rap with minimalistic breakbeats and hard-hitting lyrics.  Conversely, there is rap incorporated into J-Pop and J-Rock almost seamlessly.  It's very international here in terms of music.  I've never had a dance class with straight up Japanese music.  Instead, I get piano from Ghibli, Nicki Minaj, Michael Jackson, and electro dance remixes of Snoop Dogg in an hour.

Examples include: 
Rookiez is Punk'd - Bump on da style

The Japanese part starts at around 2:20

EDIT: Also found this after searching a bit longer -- 
Korean vs. Japanese Rap

Our rap artists are such a big rip-off from the US version of rappers. They also dress in loose clothing and they have those big bling on their necks and copy the swaggers of the US rappers, and it looks appalling! They rap in our local language though. Their gangsta swag and look just looks so trying hard!

It's pretty hard to learn languages from rap music, mainly because the rappers don't always speak correct and mix words in order to make the rhymes sound better. While I do agree that, once your are pretty savy of a certain language, you can easily improve your language, but it's most definitely not a method for a beginner.

I'm from England personally so there's quite a bit of rap here. I'm not much of a fan of it though, and I doubt I could even name a British rap artist! 

That being said though I've listened to Musta Barbaari, a Finnish hip hop artist, quite a bit. Somehow it sounds different in Finnish.