Linguaholic

Learning French through Songs

BWL

One of the most effective ways to learn a language is through music. For me, while I was learning French by myself as a teenager, one of the first songs I heard was the incredibly beautiful "La Corrida" by Francis Cabrel (which also has lyrics in Spanish, by the way).

What French songs have you listened to that were useful to you while learning the language?

• 1 month later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I love listening to French songs and I'm slowly learning new words and their proper pronunciation. I love listening to Celine Dion and Emmanuel Moire. I remember the first french song that I listened to was Mon Essentiel. The melody was so calming and it inspired me to learn French. 

1 hour ago, amazingpolygot said:

I love listening to French songs and I'm slowly learning new words and their proper pronunciation. I love listening to Celine Dion and Emmanuel Moire. I remember the first french song that I listened to was Mon Essentiel. The melody was so calming and it inspired me to learn French. 

Oooh. Mon Essentiel, I love it too! And 'être à la hauter'. The musical was quite fun, a lot of nice songs there.

I love listening to French songs, from old ones to the latest pop-hits. And also musicals.

I also have a huge collection of songs dedicated to Paris, I've been gathering them for years and I really enjoy listening to those :)

2 hours ago, anna3101 said:

Oooh. Mon Essentiel, I love it too! And 'être à la hauter'. The musical was quite fun, a lot of nice songs there.

Have you heard Moi + Toi by Gregoire? It's a very nice song too. I love Etre a la hauter too and Le sourire. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I can give you a few songs that are classic rock if you would like :).

Matmata - l'apologie

Telephone - Un autre monde

Noir desir - l'homme pressé.

These are some of my all time favorite french songs. Not the most recent ones but still really beloved.

Yeah I don't really like the newer french song. Something was lost along the way i think.

You could look into anything by Jean jacques goldman as well, the man is a genius.

On 8.02.2016, 17:09:43, Ogada said:

Yeah I don't really like the newer french song. Something was lost along the way i think.

You could look into anything by Jean jacques goldman as well, the man is a genius.

That's interesting - I've met a French girl who said exactly the opposite :) "There are plenty of good French songs", she said. "I really prefer old ones. But please do not listen to Goldman - it's a disaster. Horror".

I guess tastes differ :)

Though I'm not currently learning French, there are songs that make this language highly fascinating to me. They are the songs by Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint-Marc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Fj0f_gsXM&list=PL3D2DB0F45606E866&index=1

Music has always been one of the strongest motives for me to learn another language, and I was so motivated to start learning Japanese by songs in Hayao Miyazaki's anime films.

• 1 month later...

I studied the lyrics of this song by Jacques Dutronc for my DELF B1 and amazingly, while living in Paris I discovered that after all these decades...... Paris at 5 am is still exactly as he described and sang about way back in the 60's.