Linguaholic

I Did receive or I did received?

betita03

• 3 weeks later...

Correct answer is: 'When did you receive it?'

Explanation: One way to remember is to use the same sentence but just substitute the verb with another, like "to do".

Example: f I were to say, "Did you did it?". This sounds very weird, right? The two "dids" just don't go together. Use this as a memory aid, to help you remember. Since "Did you did it?" sounds weird so the only one that sounds right is "Did you do it?". Remember this construction "Did you do it?"! Now, you know that "do" is in the present tense. So always use the present tense in "Did you _____ it?". 'Did you do it?". "Did you eat it?", "Did you drink it" , "Did you buy it?", "Did you receive it?". So the answer is ' I did receive ' or ' you did receive '

I hope this helps!

Although I am currently studying English, there are times where I become confused and I believe that stems from over analyzing my grammar usage. If you just let it come naturally without putting too much thought into it, then you would not have to fret about the grammar. Like the others mentioned, "when did you receive it" would be the correct way of saying it as well as writing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I am currently studying English, there are times where I become confused and I believe that stems from over analyzing my grammar usage. If you just let it come naturally without putting too much thought into it, then you would not have to fret about the grammar. Like the others mentioned, "when did you receive it" would be the correct way of saying it as well as writing it.

That's one of the things about English, it's a language that's very different depending on if you're writing it or speaking it. Spoken English is typically much less flowery and concise compared to written, where you have the opportunity to fit in a lot more without losing reader's attention. Meanwhile, if you're speaking to someone, rambling on is a great way to lose their attention.

That, combined with the fact that a lot of people misuse words and pretty much garble their sentences (but are still understood) makes for a very confusing time for learners.

• 1 month later...

Its not that confusing at all. I Did receive is the correct answer. Come to think of it, I can't see any valid used for "did received", it's just plain incorrect. The word did already indicates the past tense so changing receive to received is pointless.

Which one is the correct usage of grammar? For example in a sentence of "When did you receive it? or When did you received it? Quite confusing isn't it?

"Did receive" is correct.  It follows the same rules as with any other verb with this construction of the past tense -- "did" + present tense of the verb, both as a question and as a statement.  Here are a few more examples.

Did they walk to the bank?    They did walk to the bank.

Did we did see the car?  We did see the car.

Did he find his books?  He did find his books.

The correct answer to this question is of course "When did you receive it". After the simple past (did) the verb is always in present tense, therefore it is receive and not received. This is the case for all the verbs, not only for "do".  8)

Hope that helps betita

cheers, john

John is right. You never say "did received", you always say "did receive."

I see where you are coming from "received" being past tense but by putting did in front of it then you must use receive. This is not one of those things that can go one way or another. A situation where you would use received is if you were to say have received.

I will just try to explain the confusion. It is because when you ask did you receive it, you are asking if that did something in the present. If this doesn't make any sense, it's okay because the english language is like that sometimes. 

• 1 month later...
On 17.7.2013 at 4:27 PM, betita03 said:

Which one is the correct usage of grammar? For example in a sentence of "When did you receive it? or When did you received it? Quite confusing isn't it?

" I Did receive " is the correct grammar to use because there should not be a past tense after the to be is a past tense. For instance, "Did received" won't make sense because there are two forms of past tenses, which the second past tense need to eliminate.

• 1 month later...

The answer is of course "Did you receive it?". One way to remember is to use the same sentence but just substitute the verb with another, like "to do".

For example, if I were to say, "Did you did it?". This sounds very weird, right? The two "dids" just don't go together. Use this as a memory aid, to help you remember. Since "Did you did it?" sounds weird so the only one that sounds right is "Did you do it?". Remember this construction "Did you do it?"! Now, you know that "do" is in the present tense. So always use the present tense in "Did you _____ it?". 'Did you do it?". "Did you eat it?", "Did you drink it" , "Did you buy it?", "Did you receive it?".

I hope this helps!

---

Wow! this for me helps a lot as sometimes I get confused by this too!.

You could write a book about simplifying grammar collecting these easy to remember guidelines as compared to a very difficult to understand English grammar structure. Please remember to give me a complimentary copy once it is published! :) Cheers!

• 2 years later...