Linguaholic

Suspension dots

Mameha

Hello everyone! Actually i don't know if it's nothing, but i noticed that Chinese people use very frequently these suspension dots alone as an answer, not at the end of a phrase, and i was wondering if this mean something or no. For example here people use dots n this way to answer as a sense of disappointment or surprise, just to say "i have no words about this". I don't know if this is a stupid question, but in the doubt i asked here, i'm sorry but i am at the very beginning of this language, now that holidays are gone i want to study more and better during 2016 ^^

Watching some streamers on the famous syte "Twitch" (about videogames or a lot of other stuffs) i try to read the chats and translate something so sometimes i notice a lot of things, for example in Chinese streams people in the comments use numbers as... i don't know how to explain...slangs..way to say something, for example many people use a number to say that the streamer did a nice action on a videogame. About this, they spam frequently the number 6 and if i am not wrong, this means something like "cool",Anyway i remember other numbers like this that mean other things,...do you know something about it?

13 hours ago, Mameha said:

Hello everyone! Actually i don't know if it's nothing, but i noticed that Chinese people use very frequently these suspension dots alone as an answer, not at the end of a phrase, and i was wondering if this mean something or no. For example here people use dots n this way to answer as a sense of disappointment or surprise, just to say "i have no words about this". I don't know if this is a stupid question, but in the doubt i asked here, i'm sorry but i am at the very beginning of this language, now that holidays are gone i want to study more and better during 2016 ^^

Watching some streamers on the famous syte "Twitch" (about videogames or a lot of other stuffs) i try to read the chats and translate something so sometimes i notice a lot of things, for example in Chinese streams people in the comments use numbers as... i don't know how to explain...slangs..way to say something, for example many people use a number to say that the streamer did a nice action on a videogame. About this, they spam frequently the number 6 and if i am not wrong, this means something like "cool",Anyway i remember other numbers like this that mean other things,...do you know something about it?

Dear Mameha

Could you please provide some examples? I am well aware about the 'using numbers phenomenon', however I am not sure about the dots, so I would love to see some examples.

BW

M

Definitely it's not a  stupid question but in deed a very interesting one, especially the latter(6666).

…… is used to express that you are so shocked that cannot think of anything to say or have no comments to offer when you are not pleased with what you heard or saw. And sometimes 。。。can be used as a dramatic substitute in casual occasions(。is originally used to end a sentence, the same as "." in English). 

The phrase "66666" is quite new(I began hearing it from my roommates since last fall... ) and I don't know exactly how it came into being. Maybe because it represents the sound of 溜(liù ) which can mean "being proficient or fluent".  

More trending phrases or online codewords covered by western media: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-35236725  http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/06/25/chinas-your-country-we-just-live-in-it-subversive-meme/

@linguaholic I don't know if i can make you examples right now because i just see them randomly, maybe in the future i can post something! 

@Pinutile Ty really! I just see these dots used really often, they seems to have the same meaning as us but are more used by Chinese people :) About the 6 or other things, maybe is a language used for videogames or something connected with them. And thank you for the link! Really useful :)