Linguaholic

Which foods help you learn?

Saholy

Most native English speakers have heard the expression, 'Brain Food' that means food that helps stimulate our brain. It is usually applied to situations where we want to stimulate learning. So this brings up the question, 'Which foods help you learn?' I have heard of people who study with certain smells like fresh ginger and then when they go to take an exam, they bring that scent with them and it helps aid in memory. But I was researching actual foods recently and found the following: 

Eating fatty acids found in things like fish, walnuts, and oils like linseed can aid in helping to keep our brain healthy. Some people who have memory diseases were found to be lacking in essential fatty omega oils. This may prove the theory that it is necessary for healthy brain function. 

Another benefit to fish is Vitamen B. As we get older our body does not produce as much of it and it is a necessary vitamen for our cognitive thinking. Other foods that contain vitamen B are chicken, soy, and eggs. 

One thing about sitting too long and studying is it isn't good for our circulation. Getting up and taking a 2 minute break every 20 minutes does us wonders. But another thing that helps the blood flow to the brain is Vitamen K which can be found in foods many green leafy veggies like Kale, Collard Greens, and Parsley. Make yourself a juice with Parsely, lime, and a little sugar and you will boost your brain power with a big charge that will probably get you near addicted to the green goodness. 

So thats a few things I have found. Do you have some superfoods you can add to my list? 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think this is an interesting topic.  I have no foods to add, because the foods you mentioned are the only ones I've heard of.  You have also mentioned some that I haven't heard of before.  I mean, I have heard of the foods, just not their nutritional benefits to the brain. 

I love this topic!

Did you know that an unhealthy digestive system can give you "brain fog" (difficulty remembering, difficulty waking up in the morning, forgetting words, feeling forgetful/stressed) all because of an unhealthy gut.

The toxins and hormones that cause brain fog need to be processed and removed via our liver, digestive system, kidneys etc. so if any of these organs are not functioning at optimal levels brain-fog can occur.

It's important to take note of your digestive system and support it with pro-biotics, fiber, and unprocessed foods.

The other brain boost is water, even slight dehydration affects the brain and our ability to think and learn so it is crucial to stay well hydrated!

That's an interesting topic indeed. I am not sure how much of the "brain food" is really influencing brain and how much is just placebo effect. There is no doubt that nuts or fresh vegetables are incredibly healthy but I don't think they "act" immediately. You need to eat healthy for some time to feel the benefits. For me, the best food for concentration is tea or coffee. Supposedly they are stimulants but I believe in my case it has more to do with the psychological effect: I have my cup of coffee -> this means I need to work -> I  go and work/study. I've come to associate hot drinks with work and concentration, so even if the "coffee" is made from chicory and tea is in actual fact frozen cherries with hot water, it still has exactly the same effect :)

That's a pretty comprehensive list actually. I knew about the omega-3 fatty acids being able to help improve our memory. I might also add: 

1. Nuts are wonders of nature. They are packed full of Vitamin E which can help decrease the probability of cognitive decline in individuals. Munching on nuts such as almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, you name it, they're all pretty much good for the body and the brain.

2. Avocados are also full of healthy fat which helps to maintain a healthy blood flow. And we all know that our brain needs a healthy supply of blood to function well.

3. Teas can also help improve memory and cognitive function. They're full of antioxidants too to protect your brain from free radical damage.

4. Dark Chocolate has caffeine and natural stimulants which help you maintain focus and concentrate.

I hope this helps!

Black berries :)  Yes,  I like the idea of starting my day by drinking a big smoothie made with blackberries (along with other things, like for example: cocoa powder, nuts, kale, etc).  I've noticed that by starting my day with a nice breakfast things seem to go smoother in the learning area.  Nothing worse than studying s language or anything else on an empty stomach. 

I find turmeric to be a great booster. I use it a lot in curries and soups as well as in stir-fried foods. A friend of mine who's into Ayurvedic medicine swallows a turmeric pill a day. Not only has his memory improved but he claims that his swollen joints (he's an elderly gentleman suffering from gout) have become much less inflamed.

This is an excerpt of an interesting reading on the topic, published by the Harvard Medical school;

Foods for memory

If saturated and trans fats are the food villains, then mono- and polyunsaturated fats may be the heroes in the dietary battle to preserve memory. In particular, the Mediterranean diet, with its menu of foods that are high in healthy unsaturated fats (olive oil, fish, and nuts) has been linked to lower rates of both dementia due to Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment (MCI)—the stage of memory loss that often precedes dementia.

The Mediterranean diet includes several components that might promote brain health:

• Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, and olive oil help improve the health of blood vessels, reducing the risk for a memory-damaging stroke.

• Fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been linked to lower levels of beta-amyloid proteins in the blood and better vascular health.

• Moderate alcohol consumption raises levels of healthy high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. Alcohol also lowers our cells' resistance to insulin, allowing it to lower blood sugar more effectively. Insulin resistance has been linked to dementia.

Sample Mediterranean diet

Breakfast:

• Whole-grain muesli with fresh berries and almonds OR

• 6 oz. Greek yogurt topped with blueberries

Lunch:

• Greek salad with grilled chicken OR

• Whole-grain pita with 2 tbsp. hummus and tomatoes

Dinner:

• Roasted salmon with tomato-olive tapenade, sauted spinach with pine nuts and raisins, poached pears OR

• Broiled chicken with garlic and lemon, asparagus

Full article is here, http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/boost-your-memory-by-eating-right

And there is another interesting reading on foods that strengthen learning abilities over here, https://www.southuniversity.edu/whoweare/newsroom/blog/Foods-That-Strengthen-Learning-Abilities

On January 13, 2016 at 4:28:26 AM, OmniHead said:

This is an excerpt of an interesting reading on the topic, published by the Harvard Medical school;

Full article is here, http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/boost-your-memory-by-eating-right

And there is another interesting reading on foods that strengthen learning abilities over here, https://www.southuniversity.edu/whoweare/newsroom/blog/Foods-That-Strengthen-Learning-Abilities

My husband's professor told them that he drinks alcohol before going to a lecture or even before performing an operation. I was quite skeptical of that before, but this kind of confirms as to why he is doing that. He said that he is able to focus more and concentrate clearly on his task with just a bottle of alcohol in him. Not much, but just enough to make him focused. That's what he said, according to my husband, so my husband followed that. I don't know how effective it is for him because he drinks so much. 

Well I have always been told to load up on fiber when you are studying or learning, because that is the "brain food", so I have always tried to munch of nuts and popcorn while I study.  I cannot really say that it definitely works, but I would like to think that it does.  It makes sense, because fiber keeps you full so your body can devote more energy to the brain and less on the digestive system.  So I would just load up on some almonds and some popcorn if I were you.

6 hours ago, lingualbabe said:

My husband's professor told them that he drinks alcohol before going to a lecture or even before performing an operation. I was quite skeptical of that before, but this kind of confirms as to why he is doing that. He said that he is able to focus more and concentrate clearly on his task with just a bottle of alcohol in him. Not much, but just enough to make him focused. That's what he said, according to my husband, so my husband followed that. I don't know how effective it is for him because he drinks so much. 

That's a problem indeed because, while alcohol can contribute for good in some way with someone's actions, on the other hand there is always a risk to get hooked up in alcohol addiction.

I do believe to be possible what you say about your husband focusing on his work with just a bottle, but then after think of Ernest Hemingway that, being a great author, alcoholism eventually affected him. Hope your hubby learns to lower his alcohol intake.

Great topic, @Saholy...gives you food for thought haha :) On a serious note, I do wonder how much of this is just the placebo effect, too. I include a lot of the so-called 'brain food' in my diet but my memory is beyond shocking! I even take supplements to account for some of the shortfall in nutrients. I know there's much more to the ability to learn than just remembering things, but even still, I just don't know. However, I can't argue against the nutritional value of these foods.

@lingualbabe....that's an interesting angle your husband's gone for, although it's also one I've heard from other people before! BUT I'm pretty sure that any amount of alcohol is more likely to impair your reflexes and your concentration, rather than improve them.

It's mostly drinks (I have unhealthy eating habits)... 

What I mostly use as sort of variant to "Brain Food", is GateradeTM and Coffee (and before anyone thinks it, no not at the same time)... I naturally use the GateradeTM as sorta long term booster or sort of a "key in the ignition/jump-start/blast off" drink to start something and then keep it going (especially when writing or drawing)

Coffee sorta acts like a duller (you're probably wondering why I'm drinking it, but here's why), the reason I sometimes drink it is because my brain gets overloaded with too many ideas of because of this I have to calm my brain down or else I'll suffer from horrible migraines... So the simple is to drink Coffee...

• 2 months later...

This is a good information to know. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. This will not only help us with our learning of another language but also for studying other subjects too.

I love this topic.  

When I meet with fitness-clients or am giving advice to people who simply want a clearer mind, I tell them about the brain food's the OP listed.  It's interesting to see the change in people when they add healthier components to their diet.  

For me, the best brain foods and drinks are peanuts, bananas, spinach/lettuce, mushrooms (all that selenium), tofu, and carrots.  Chia sometimes makes an appearance when I feel like paying for a bag lol.  I also take advantage of complete amino acid (BCAA) profiles to stay fuller and energized for longer.  Examples of that are peanut butter and whole wheat, rice and beans.  

I like to eat a lot of fish and nuts when I have to study. I am all about eating fish because of the omegas that it provides. I think of it as anti inflammation and some protein that will help me get through the day. The nuts give me the stamina to just focus and study without having to get up for a meal or a snack.

Foods that stimulate and sharpen the brain are fruits, vegetables, leafy vegetables, fresh juice (not canned juice), low carb diet, whole grains etc. You have to avoid spicy and oily foods that make you lethargic. Never take to any kind of addictions. Addictive substances such as cigarette, alcohol, marijuana and other substances make you dull. Milk products especially yogurt  is very good for your body. Walnuts, cashew nuts, peanuts, fish oil  are very good for brain development.

On 3/21/2016 at 6:02 PM, VinayaSpeaks said:

Foods that stimulate and sharpen the brain are fruits, vegetables, leafy vegetables, fresh juice (not canned juice), low carb diet, whole grains etc. You have to avoid spicy and oily foods that make you lethargic. Never take to any kind of addictions. Addictive substances such as cigarette, alcohol, marijuana and other substances make you dull. Milk products especially yogurt  is very good for your body. Walnuts, cashew nuts, peanuts, fish oil  are very good for brain development.

I forgo to mention milk! Goat's milk is the most nutritious and it will help you live longer too! Yes, nut are super good foods and foods rich in antioxidants are the best for you as well. Dark chocolate and a cup of coffee.

I have drank goat milk, but I did not like the taste. I prefer to have water buffalo milk instead of cow milk. Water Buffalo's milk is thicker than cow milk and contains more lactose and fats. I don't know about the positive effects of chocolate and coffee on brain. I may look on this and see of it is actually good for the brain.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me I just eat healthy and then sleep properly. It's more of how you take care of your body and brain rather than doing a specific activity and just relying on that. I think I've tried eating those that help build neurotransmitters? That's probably the best advice I can give.

• 2 months later...