Linguaholic

Creating a language learning website for a language you're learning?

alishapenny

So, I'd like some opinions because I've honestly been thinking of doing this for a long time. I've been learning Korean on and off for a few years. I am not amazing at it but I've had great resources to learn. I've learned a lot and I was thinking of creating a website to help others learn Korean but in my own organized way but since I'm not fluent I also thought it would help Korean stick in my head better. Like teaching to learn. If that makes sense. If I'm creating organized posts and lessons then I'd have to do more research on the subject and I'd be able to memorize it better but I'm sure that people who are fluent in Korean or native speaking would think it's a bad idea because there could be error or it won't be as promising because it wasn't created by a fluent Korean speaker. What do you guys think? In a way, someone could learn the language from someone who has an english-speaking mind so maybe the lessons would be more understandable from that point of view..if that makes sense. What is our input? 

Teaching people a language you're learning can boost your language skills a lot.
But on the other hand, it's really difficult to create material you don't master yet.

Best is to find a friend willing to learn the language you're learning (Korean in your case) and teach them what you already know.
I remember doing that to someone willing to learn Japanese and it really helped me a lot, and at the same time it helped him too. So that's a win-win situation.

It seems like a good idea. I've always found that explaining/teaching something to other people clears things up in my own head. However, creating and maintaining such a site would be a lot of work. Are you sure you'll have enough time and motivation to do that?

Hello :),

You can also try teaming up with someone who masters the language already or is a native speaker, so he/she can help you validate the content you generate for your readers. Or you can also target specific audience, like children or beginners for example, which may require a lower level of mastery, while you continue to hone your skills. Once you feel comfortable, you can move to more advance targets.

Regards,

My brother in law is said to have done that while he was learning Dutch, it's said that helped him a lt to learn and master dutch.   I heard he even had a very successful forum and all that, he managed to attract a lot expats to that site.  A real success or so they say, I don't really know though, because I never checked said site.

I think it's a good idea. A friend and myself recently made a website to help us learn Spanish better called howto4in.com. We take movie clips from movies we are familiar with and listen to them in Spanish with Spanish and English subtitles. It's helping us so we figured other people would like it too. I a lot more interesting than reading a textbook.