Linguaholic

What Motivates or Inspires You to Keep Studying and Learning English?

LauraM

This is a question for both non-native and native English speakers.  I'm curious to know what motivates or inspires you to continue your study and mastery of the English language -- grammar, vocabulary, etc. 

You may have started because it was mandatory in school, but beyond those requirements what is your motivation to keep learning?  How do you stay motivated if and when you are pressed for time, or facing other such challenges?  Perhaps in sharing we can encourage one another. 

My true dream in life is to be a novel writer. I have some really good stories in my head (I know, because I have asked others about it), and my biggest problem is that I seem to only be able to write fiction in English. However, my bad grammar and still too thin vocabulary makes it an obstacle, which is why I want to get better at English.

It's so vast and intricate. Being a native speaker my whole life, I constantly find myself intrigued by new words and colloquialisms. It's hard for me to explain my love for English, but it manifests itself in many ways. Dictionary.com is one of my top visited websites. I play many different word games like crosswords and jumbles. I love to read and write, etc., etc.

I am motivated to learn new words and manners of speech just because of the pure breadth of words out there.  I imagine that I'll still be learning in my 70's and beyond if I am alive then.  I just love to learn and find new ways to communicate and express my thoughts and feelings. Language is art.

Well said! You certainly lived up to your username  :tongue: I enjoy the fact that every nook and corner of the language seems endless, making complete mastery of the written and spoken word just about impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned english because it is one of our subjects in school. Since english language is an international language, I think learning it is really important. Most countries consider english to be their second language. Personally learning it helps me a lot in terms of my personality, it boost my self confidence, it's very helpful if I'm travelling to another place and lastly it helps in achieving my goal in life.

English an be used almost everywhere in the world. I'd really like to perfect my English, mostly just for myself. Next to Dutch there is no other language I'm this fluent in.

Also, living in Scotland you will need a solid understanding of English ;) Nice little accent they've got going here.

I want to be able to express myself in writing in English in the best way I can. I am trying to write in a website called Bubblews (here are my works: www.bubblews.com/account/68747-madbunnyxd) and been trying to write everyday to practise my English. I've also join English MUD games where I roleplay as different people. It helps to be different characters who also have different ways of speaking. I have a leader-type of character where I make evil sermons and I also have someone who is a simpleton. It's fun and I get to learn more complicated words that way.

• 4 years later...